Decisions, decisions . . .

BigBSBusa

Comin' back stronger than ever!
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, a buddy of mine and I were talking this morning and he has got a bit of a dilemma. He was looking at his bike yesterday and found about a nickel-sized chip in the front fairing of his bike (40th Anniv Busa) right next to the spot for the left turn signal that is extremely noticeable. He's a perfectionist, like me which is why we get along so well, and asked me whether or not he should try to sand and fix the little chip or just buy a new fairing. He did finger painting as a kid, but never painted anything like this. I'm no painter either, so I told him he has 3 choices:

1) Ignore it and ride the bike like he stole it (not really an option since he's a perfectionist)

2) Buy the equipment and try to repair it himself (call it an investment for the future)

3) Buy the new fairing and be done with it ($300 and no wasted time)

Like I said, I don't do any painting either so I would go for option #3 but I would ask some of my friends what they would do. So . . . what say you?

Seems to me you've answered your own question. I would do option 3, I like to be sure a job is done right. However, there is another option...

- keep the existing fairing, get it filled and get a custom paint job.
smile.gif

I agree with you, bro, but I think he could get it done cheaper doing it himself. I know if he took it to a shop they'd probably charge him about $300 to do it because they would have to repaint the whole fairing to make sure it matched. He could also sell the fairing as a painter to someone, so I guess there are other choices.

You/he may have a job getting an exact match, depending how old the bike is and if the existing paint has faded in the sunshine. You would probably need to do a larger area than just the nick, and 'blend' the colours in.

Seen it done on cars more than bikes and there is always subtle differences. Others may not notice but you will.

Back