Dealing with the wind!

I was crossing a 2 mile bridge with 40+ mph gusts and let me tell you, what a learning experience. I agree with the common theme here, don't fight it, stay loose.

Come to think of it the wind does not bother me any more. I remember it scared the hell out of me when I was a new rider.

Just got my busa, and it's been windy here lately, and I managed to follow most of the advice here before I even read it :thumbsup: I can say adding a lil more speed helped a lot.....but it did make me really nervous going over a lake bridge because the wind really picked up, but I managed.....stay relax anyone and give her a couple more mph and just be extra cautious because you should already be cautious if you're riding :)

:afro:

being alert! is 1st thing. nothing more scarier than being caught off guard. i usually try to lean the opposite way that the wind blows; same thing while passing a semi.

You know...funny thing about riding on one wheel

Once you go vertical the design of the bike seems to break the wind so much better~!~ :laugh:

I've been riding on the prairies in the wind for 25 years. Of the bikes I've had 650 Nighthawk, RZ350, RZ500, gen 1 GSXR 750, Ninja 900, CBR600F2, and 1200 Bandit the Busa is the most unusual feeling in a gusting cross wind. It feels like the front fender catches the wind more than any other bike I've ridden. On my other bikes the wind pushed the whole bike as a unit with the busa you can feel the front wheel being pushed with a different level of force than the rest of the bike. It's a strange feeling like the bike is folding at the steering head. I hope I'll get acustom to it as I put on more miles.

Doug

My GPR makes it just about a none issue. Ask Captain, he could not believe the difference. :thumbsup:

also dont forget to try and steer clear of the big rigs and other large vehicle. they get pushed outa their lane easier than you do. i agree with the speed helpingl; i feel more in control at higher speeds in the wind. :beerchug:

also dont forget to try and steer clear of the big rigs and other large vehicle. they get pushed outa their lane easier than you do. i agree with the speed helpingl; i feel more in control at higher speeds in the wind. :beerchug:

lol have you ever passed a big rig slowly? all the turbulance at the end of the trailor with push you back and forth like crazy. feels like someone picked your bike up and started to shake it.

so this weekend i went on a 200ish mile it was fun up to about half way when the wind picked up to about 30-40mph wind gust!! i weigh 170lbs and i was getting blown around all over the place! i was trying different things to try and keep it under control but was wondering what others did to try and fight the wind.

If the wind is coming from your right, initiate a countersteering input to the left---but do not complete it, as the bike starts to lean to the left the front tire moves to the right, I use this initial moment to balance the bike against the wind instead of leaning into. for a hard wind from the left to the right just steer to the right again holding the front tire against the wind. Kieth

:thumbsup:

Back