Dealing with the wind!

klayton

Registered
so this weekend i went on a 200ish mile it was fun up to about half way when the wind picked up to about 30-40mph wind gust!! i weigh 170lbs and i was getting blown around all over the place! i was trying different things to try and keep it under control but was wondering what others did to try and fight the wind.

Well from experience living here in West texas where we get some really high wind gusts, drive in the middle of the lane, stay relaxed. It will not make a difference of the tucked position to sitting up. but you will lean the bike into the wind so you want to give yourself room to correct if the wind breaks for a second. Other than that you really never get used to it, and over passes will blow you opposite of the way your leaning. So be prepared...

Wind wind wind. the scurge of bikers everywhere! Ditto to the relax but be alert. you will be pushed alot one way and then the other. just be calm and let your instinct to recover bring you back. also ditto to staying over in the side of the lane from which the wind is coming. I hav been blown over a whole lane before. Ride safe, ride well.

All that fairing does make it like a sailboat in a cross wind. Probably doesn't make any difference but I like to stay low on the bike, semi-tucked. Stay in the middle or a little toward the windward side of the lane and just react to how it moves. When a gust moves you over, straighten the bike out and herd it back to where you started from. Stay as relaxed as possible and strange as it sounds, sometimes going faster can help.
I rode from Indianapolis about 40 miles back to the motel right after the MotoGP race in the rain and 40+ mph gusts at 70-80 mph. Stayed full tucked that time to get out of the rain and it wasn't really that bad.:thumbsup:

Well from experience living here in West texas where we get some really high wind gusts, drive in the middle of the lane, stay relaxed. It will not make a difference of the tucked position to sitting up. but you will lean the bike into the wind so you want to give yourself room to correct if the wind breaks for a second. Other than that you really never get used to it, and over passes will blow you opposite of the way your leaning. So be prepared...

+1
:whistle:

like others have said, i stay down as much as possible and remain calm...if you tense up, it makes your reaction times slower...i have also found a little more speed helps...so, in other words, low and loose and give her some juice :thumbsup:

My '07 Busa is my 23rd motorcycle - I have been riding since the 5th grade. It is the first sport bike I have owned (with the exception of a couple of Kawasaki triples in the '70's). It might be my imagination, but I think it is more susceptible to side winds than any other motorcycle I have owned.

Ya I agree the Busa is the most affected by wind of the bikes I ve owned. Going faster is the only thing that seems to help me.

Was riding with a bad cross wind... pushed me into the next lane. Caught me off guard. Stay alert. The rest of the ride went fine.

I find that with the Busa, it feels like the wind is blowing the bike out from under you. O ther bikes it feels more like it wants to push you, and the bike to one side, or the other ? Anybody else feel that way ?

Ya I agree the Busa is the most affected by wind of the bikes I ve owned. Going faster is the only thing that seems to help me.

Try a 600cc or liter bike....those extra 150-100 pounds the busa has really helps cut through cross winds....the smaller bikes are a real pita in cross winds. :laugh:

I've found out that sticking out the knee that is on the same side as the wind is coming from helps to stabilize the bike a bit. So, if you get side-wind from the right, stick out your right knee, much like a sail.
Other than that, stick to the center of the lane and watch your crossing distances if you have to overtake someone, wind can throw you into a car if you're not careful.

Watch crossing bridges or any time that you come out from between the trees. Can make for a huge pucker factor

I agree with the staying tucked. I still have problems but it helps. Busa surfing should be a sport. LOL it gets a little scary sometimes and slowing down is not a good idea.

You guys are all great!:bowdown: I agree with Brown, I've never had wind do me quite like it does on my Busa. When I first got it wind made me really nervous as slicing wind on the Katana750 and the R-1 didn't feel so hard. It doesn't bother me so much anymore and I stay low most of the time I'm riding. Keep up the good post... Knowledge is Power!

Back