Dealing with Depression

Come to Eureka Springs Arkansas June 1-3 for our Hayabusa gathering. Best depression fighter ever!

I really hope you get better!! The past 2 years for me have been rough with several Family issues, the passing of my dad and recently a relationship!!!
Everybody has a different way of dealing with things and the guys already gave you some great advice.
In my case, when I felt like it was to much to handle I basically just collapsed to the floor, got on my knees and asked the lord to give me strength to be able to deal with everything.
Keep your mine busy. My scape is my busa, work, music(which I LOVE) and working out.

Wish the best!!!!!!!!

Like drug addiction you've passed the first mark in admitting your depressed. Many cannot even say that or even realize it. Just get outside. Mother nature has a way of healing the human mind. Go for a walk in a nature preserve or around a lake. If there are any waterfalls near you go sit by it for a while. Falling water creates negative ions which the human mind accepts as soothing. It will calm you down, look it up. You can also buy a negative ion generator and hang it over your favorite chair/sofa at home. Sitting under it for a while will make you feel better.
As a married man with two kids, inlaws and an older brother whom I take care of I know how you feel.
I feel like Atlas holding up the world everyday. A nice ride always helps too. It's difficult moving into an area where you know nobody. I've done it many times. You just have to get out. Staying inside will only make it worse. Just feeling the sun on my face sometimes can completely change how I feel.

But always know you have 35,000 family members here for you, pm, call or just SCREAM :laugh: we will hear....

Come to Eureka Springs Arkansas June 1-3 for our Hayabusa gathering. Best depression fighter ever!

I just thought of the same thing!!! Great minds, Hal!! :laugh: I know doniton2, BusaWhipped and Semi are heading down there. Alot of great people will be there that you will be sorry you missed meeting. Macon454, Lamb and LCB just to name a few. I guarantee there is not one person on the list of people going that will bite you. Ok, maybe if you ask for it, but not cause you say Hi! :laugh: And don't make me drive down there, cause I will get a big stick off the tree and everytime I see you not laughing or not having a good time I will wack you on the butt with it. :rulez: I am guessing that stick wont get much use. :laugh:

Depression....
I grew up around it, Ive seen my Dad battle it. I have had friends whos parents battled with depression. High School friend Junior year of high school walked out to the barn to find his father hanging from the barn rafter, 2 years ago Christmas morning my friend Mike called and said his mom just killed herself found her laying in the bathroom.
I am not a Doctor, Ive dealt with what your going through. I moved with a job transfer didnt know anyone, had the same feeling that my job was my only life.. Ya know what.. I said the hell with it, I quit a great job, moved back to where I was happy!
As my Dad told me when I asked him later in years How did you get over your depression.. he said a councler told him Donald your a man now not a boy you make decisions on what you want in life!! Thats what he did!
Just as I did when I was getting depressed when I moved to a state that I knew no one!
I work in a hospital now, I see people laid up in hospital beds, I see bald children from radiation therapy fighting cancer they didnt ask for it, they have no choice as they are a child and delt with the cards they were of life, but most of them will smile back at you when you stop to say hello and hold a conversation..
YOU HAVE A CHOICE!!!! Figure out whats bothering you, Change it! You know what makes you happy work towards it, keyword work towards it. Its life and its all in what you make of it. Drugs are a temporary solution I tried they were just a band aid, how I changed my depression. I forced myself to seek and work towards what I wanted and what made me happy. Good luck seek professional help for guidance in your recovery.:beerchug:

Thanks all for the positive support!!!!
Lots of good ideas for me to try.
I actually did one thing this morning. I went to the beach (Headlands State Park) and went jogging barefoot in the soft sand. One heck of a workout!!! Then just strolled down the beach collecting sea-glass. Then something amazing happened. I met a lady walking her dogs and struck up a conversation and we talked for over an hour! I never do that and it scared the hell out of me (dont ask why please) Its a small start in the right direction I think.

And just to clarify a couple of things. . .
1. I dont live in the STL area anymore (forgot to update profile) Myself and the ex parted ways and I moved over to the Cleveland Ohio area to be closer to family.
2. I consider taking medications an absolute last resort to my problems.
3. Since its what i can afford, I am looking up area VA centers to see about talking to a counseler/therapist/shrink/whatever they are called.

Again, thanks for the support and ideas. I dont know if I will get through this, but I hope I do.

Many in my immediate family have battled depression, including myself. When it hit me, I had no idea what was wrong, and prior to that moment, I did believe with all my heart that those in my life that claimed to suffer from depression were in fact only looking for sympathy and attention. My doctor spent over an hour with me, talking about everything going on, and in the end, he explained that sometimes your brain just goes haywire, that different chemical imbalances can create problems, that it's not always *something* that triggers what you're feeling. That was when I was introduced to Prozac, and I cried, thinking to myself "I can't believe I've been labeled with this crap!" but I was living it, and it was a miserable place to be in...

I eventually went off the meds and it did help me through whatever that time was. I've since revisted depression while going through divorce and other issues around me that I cannot control. I hate being on the meds, but sometimes you just need the extra help. If nothing else, perhaps consider talking to your doctor. Good thing for many that suffer from depression - it's temporary and can be controlled.

If there's anything any of us can do to help you, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Sum Beach said:
1. I dont live in the STL area anymore (forgot to update profile) Myself and the ex parted ways and I moved over to the Cleveland Ohio area to be closer to family

Right up the road from me! I'm in Columbus Ohio, your also not far from Nelson ledges raceway. Motoseries does track days and racing at Nelson ledges. Maybe we can meet at the track, great group of people at the track on race weekends.

I like to talk but can't be trusted! I'm a lil out there if you know what I mean :-) I think a few folks would warn you to stay away from crazy GSXR riding squids, but like a frog riding a chicken I'm good fun!

i dont no much on this as i am stsrtint to think i have depression from what im reading .moore time than often we need to talk to some one if u dont trust ppl to much -cant say i blame u- talk to god man just go to a quite spot and let it all hang out may be u just need to vent and brother let me tell u some time ramdom curse words do me good and sometime i pray hope it get better for u

Then something amazing happened. I met a lady walking her dogs and struck up a conversation and we talked for over an hour! I never do that and it scared the hell out of me (dont ask why please) Its a small start in the right direction I think.

Well at least you practiced small talk in a safe environment and you didn't have a grungy homeless man chasing you down the street yelling at you what he was going to do to you in the back ally!!!! :whistle: :laugh: GREAT JOB!!!! ((((hugs)))) Glad you are near family!

I'm depressed, because I cannot make it in June.:banghead: Hopefully, there will be something in the fall, and we will be there.

I'm sadden to hear you are sad. Your a good guy Matt and I'm sure this is just a temporary thing but I think finding some one to talk to would be good for you....Or I'll let you come down here and pick my nose again if that will make you feel better.

DSC_0054.jpg

I feel for you. I have had some bad depression and I am still dealing with it, but I'm getting the better of it now. Just stay away from alcohol whatever you do! I almost did some really bad things to my self and others because I was depressed and let the alcohol get the better of me for a few years. I even shot myself with my 460s&w mostly on accident. The best thing you can do is exercise a lot, talk to people about your problems, and most importantly set goals in your life and strive to achieve them. Without doing that depression can make you think that your life is meaningless and worthless. For me going to church and talking to God also helped considerably. Although that isn't for everyone, something along those lines can really help you out. Good luck and if you need help, reach out for it!

Why do you consider taking medication a last resort.

If it helps you why not take them.

If you had heart disease or another medical problem I'm sure you would take the meds.

Is it because you think there is some kind of stigma associated with taking meds for a problem with your brain, because that what it is a brain problem.

I've been through all the rubbish of people thinking I'm mad, as in not mentally stable just because I need the meds or weak for taking anti-depressants in the first place, sod them I just wanted to get well.

Anyway good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Back