Datatool alarm stop working

dave s

Registered
After a two week break away got home charged the battery (as I have no power outside)ready for a ride out today,this morning alarm won't turn on or off,led is not flashing, turn ignition on and fuel pump does not prime and check is on dash
So checked all Fuses
Check wiring harness for damage from rodents etc
Checked clutch switch for continuity,ok
I did find no continuity on the side stand switch so tried to bypass but no difference,so now stumped any ideas the alarm is datatool c4red

Also the battery is fully charged 12.8volts
I even connects jump leads with another battery just in case
Forget to mention its a gen 2 ,2008 and the alarm has been on since new

Last edited:
Humidity/condensation in the datatool unit can cause probs. Open up the module, inspect. Rust, for instance, since it's been installed a while.

You're gonna fix the side stand switch issue anyway, right?

As it was fully functional before, I wasn't sure the alarm was causing the fault, would the pump still prime with the side switch fault,anyes we have had some very hot weather in the UK the last 2 weeks,never known it like this before

I'm not a fan of datatool alarms , I had the same system on my 08 Rocket 3 , riding through Germany on the way to Denmark doin 120 on autobahn the alarm went off and immobilized the bike ,luckily I was able to bypass it and carry on .Took me a couple of hours to sort it out. Never connected it again.

As it was fully functional before, I wasn't sure the alarm was causing the fault,
Me neither, but I think you're on the right track to suspect electrical, so alarm would be suspect, at the least
would the pump still prime with the side switch fault
Someone here will have the definitive answer to this but I believe the pump still primes with a faulty stand switch; believe that switch interrupts the starter circuit only.

But this theory returns suspicion back to the alarm. It would require understanding how the alarm was wired into the system. I imagine it's not a simple task to bypass the alarm circuitry but @Al Kyrie might provide insight - how to bypass??

Exactly what I was thinking,and datatool will provide no information and is a dealer only fit and not sold to the public, I did find a PDF file and it looks like there are several ways to fit the alarm,I'm a bit worried to open the alarm in case the local Suzuki shop refuses to work on it,would spraying electrical cleaner in there have any effect

I'm not a fan of datatool alarms , I had the same system on my 08 Rocket 3 , riding through Germany on the way to Denmark doin 120 on autobahn the alarm went off and immobilized the bike ,luckily I was able to bypass it and carry on .Took me a couple of hours to sort it out. Never connected it again.
I'm thinking if it's not an easy fix I just want the alarm off it,I bought it with it already on and was fitted by the local dealer which I have all the paperwork

would spraying electrical cleaner in there have any effect
Only if it's contamination. But if it's corrosion, no, obviously. However, if it's a liquid (water) contamination, there is the possibility that the contact cleaner would displace the moisture, but probably not for long, maybe just intermittently. It is a rather cheap test: if the result is intermittent power, you've likely found the culprit.

On the triumph rocket the Alarm system went into a multi plug under the fuel tank . It was a case of unplugging and cutting the plug of the datatool then joining some of the wires together and plugging back in. can't remember exactly which ones but I'll look tomorrow and find out . The plug is still there since I done it 2015.

I spoke to Datatool technical support and he thinks it's the alarms internal battery,he has instructed me to remove the security torque bolts as instructed by you guys ,and replace it with bypass switch, I have ordered one from them as it will be easy for me then joining wires, before I fit the switch I will check and clean if required, if not the bypass is going on.I will update on results

I have read one report about disconnect all plugs in the security box and connect the bypass,or do you leave the black plugs connected

Screenshot_20220815_213249_com.adobe.reader.jpg

Back