Dam, why didn't you guys tell me!

4wd

Registered
Riding that Hayabusa in 30 mph gustying to 40 mph cross wind gusts ain't fun at all! especially, when the winds suddenly get blocked by a big truck or bridge or hill, then you ride back into them talk about a sudden lean weave. And about the time you get the lean angle right, a even greater gust hits you throwing everything out of kelter again.

All that aerodynamic faring plastic is super great in a head wind or tail, but a cross wind it acts like a giant sail. :-(

Imagine if you were on a lighter or less stable bike. I just don't ride in heavy wind storms.
beerchug.gif

I love riding in side winds !
super.gif
But you better be ready for them .

"I love riding in side winds ! But you better be ready for them . "

tHAT'S A Great quote, but meaningless. How can you be ready for the invisible? The only thing I found that worked was to sLOW Down.

I have to believe riding the BB King naked Hayabusa bike would be more stable in cross winds. Maybe that is why they came out with it?

Cross winds can be tricky on any bike. I have found the Busa to be more able to keep a straight line than the other bikes I have owned.

The best solution for cross winds is to go FASTER!<span style='color:darkblue'></span>

(4wd @ Oct. 05 2007,14:27) Riding that Hayabusa in 30 mph gustying to 40 mph cross wind gusts ain't fun at all! especially, when the winds suddenly get blocked by a big truck or bridge or hill, then you ride back into them talk about a sudden lean weave. And about the time you get the lean angle right, a even greater gust hits you throwing everything out of kelter again.

All that aerodynamic faring plastic is super great in a head wind or tail, but a cross wind it acts like a giant sail. :-(
HeHe! You sound like my wife!
laugh.gif
poke.gif

(4wd @ Oct. 05 2007,14:50) "I love riding in side winds !   But you better be ready for them . "

tHAT'S A Great quote, but meaningless. How can you be ready for the invisible? The only thing I found that worked was to sLOW Down.

I have to believe riding the BB King naked Hayabusa bike would be more stable in cross winds. Maybe that is why they came out with it?
Its called experience . When you go behind a truck or a bridge You should know that the wind is going to pick back up . Also You can see it if You are looking around , there are tell tail signs of wind in the trees, bushes, grass, ect... . Riding any naked bike will not help and I doubt thats why they made it
laugh.gif
. As for being ready for the invisable , You ride a bike thats capable of almost 200mph You BETTER be ready for anything !

(Pfal @ Oct. 05 2007,14:56) The best solution for cross winds is to go FASTER!<span style='color:darkblue'></span>
I like the way you think
super.gif

We have those crazy winds blowing in like 4 different directions here. They are rough till you get use to them. Any cross wind over 30 mph is rough. One thing I have learned is the bike will do fine in the wind, it leans itself. Keep a loose grip on the handlebars and relax. If you are tense, the bike is tense and you blow around more. Let the bike do what it needs to do. Get low too. Most of the time the bike is not the issue, It's the big sail sitting in the seat.

(Fate @ Oct. 05 2007,17:21) We have those crazy winds blowing in like 4 different directions here. They are rough till you get use to them. Any cross wind over 30 mph is rough. One thing I have learned is the bike will do fine in the wind, it leans itself. Keep a loose grip on the handlebars and relax. If you are tense, the bike is tense and you blow around more. Let the bike do what it needs to do. Get low too. Most of the time the bike is not the issue, It's the big sail sitting in the seat.
+1...you and the bikes ability to flow decrease with the stiffer you are and the harder you hang on...i have found the more i relax, the more the bike flows...like frisbee said, it's all about experience- the more seat time you put in, the easier it is to trust your bike and just let it do its thing
beerchug.gif

(frisbee @ Oct. 05 2007,14:40) I love riding in side winds !
super.gif
 But you better be ready for them .
Plus if you get to go BOTH ways, you'll get rid of your Chicken Strips  
laugh.gif

Well  
wink.gif
, that's how I cheat and do it  
tounge.gif

(Pfal @ Oct. 05 2007,14:56) The best solution for cross winds is to go FASTER!<span style='color:darkblue'></span>
True dat.

Just go with it man....like riding the waves....
just gotta let her fishtail around and she always bring you back into line...
cool.gif

(stlbusarider @ Oct. 06 2007,06:31) Imagine if you were on a lighter or less stable bike.   I just don't ride in heavy wind storms.
beerchug.gif
I've ridden in 40-50+MPH gusts and crosswinds all the time at Willow Springs on my K6 Gixx1K. No problems at all. Only affected my laptimes .007 sec in relation to days there are no winds. Even on the main 1/2 mile straight I was able to still hit 150-160 MPH.

It's all about technique and staying underneath the windscreen as much as possible, which racing ergonomics require anyways.

(Pfal @ Oct. 06 2007,06:56) The best solution for cross winds is to go FASTER!<span style='color:darkblue'></span>
+1

And, ironically, loosen your grip on the handlebars. Use your legs to counterbalance the crosswinds. The gyroscopic effect of motorcycle wheels are sufficient enough that heavy winds shouldn't be too much to affect handling, as long as you use the bike's aerodynamics to your advantage. Get under that windscreen (preferably under the paint of your gas tank) and it'll feel like a calm, sunny day.

Go faster, it stabilizes the bike.

Seriously.

--Wag--

IMO, it all boils down to experience/seat time. The more seat time you have, the less 'intense' it is riding in adverse weather. I dont think the busa is bad in crosswinds at all.

Back