Dad's back!!

tlrbandit

Registered
I posted a year ago about my Pop, who was 71 buying a Busa. He always said he would give up the sport bikes and buy a Harley when he turned 70. He has now moved the Harley age back to 76 but something tells me he will try to push it even further. In December of 2006 he almost had to give up on his riding days forever.

Without going into specifics, he ruptured an intestinal tract that caused sceptic poisoning. Usually you have 24 hours to get it fixed or you won't make it. He went 72 hours according to the doctor and flatlined 3 times. After his first 5 weeks in the hospital it looked like he was going to make it. Just when we thought we were on the downhill slope, the stress caused by the poisoning cause a heart attack. The doctors put 2 stints in but they didn't take and he had another heart attack. This was the worst one because the stints were causing blood clots. Now he had to have a quadruple bypass.

3 months later, Dad was home.

10 months since going into the hospital for the first time and guess what, my Dad is now 72 and started riding his Busa again. (Is it okay for me to cry at this point?!)

The only thing that saved his life according to the Doctor was his physical condition. He was sort of a body builder.
muscle.gif
He was sporting a nice thick 6 pack, and extemely well defined muscular structure but due to his age he was not very bulky. He was bummed (borderline depressed) by his scars and the amount of muscle he lost (he lost 35 pounds of muscle---he had no fat on him to begin with).

Pop is my hero and always has been. I thought I lost him not too long ago but thankfully some prayers were answered and he ready to ride again. I must say, during some pretty dark days (my son was diagnosed with Aspergers (a form of Autism) during this period as well) I would get on the board and just read. Even though I didn't post much, the people on this board, with their love for the Busa, riding and just being good people really kept me going.

I just wanted to say thanks. It's time to ride!
biggrin.gif

Glad your story has a happy ending and that your dad's up and running again.

Cheers!

--Wag--

Back