Cutting the rear hump

jmaz268

Killin' is my business, a
Donating Member
Registered
I am wondering what you guys used to cut the notch out so you can have your grab bar and the hump at the same time and did you put tape over the paint to keep it from splintering or flaking. I figured I would just use my dremel.
John

Dremel all the way, took me less than an hour to do it, Start with small notches and work your way bigger...:D

Used the tape to protect the paint and a dremel to cut it with a sanding roll

BusaStock01.JPG

You might want to work from the inside of the hump so if you stick in a spot, you won't burn the paint on the outside....I did mine with a dremel and it took like 45 mins from start to finish.....the hardest part is the first swipe!

Very easy mod. Just do it in small steps to be sure you keep it tight. I had no paint crack at all. Takes between 30 and 45 min depending on your confidence with a dremel tool.

I don't want any of you guys/gals who have done the hump grab bar mod to be offended, but WHY are so many of you doing this? If the grab bar is for the benefit of your passenger, shouldn't it be removed when the hump is being used? I say yes.

That mod reminds me of wearing a necktie with a turtleneck sweater!

I don't want any of you guys/gals who have done the hump grab bar mod to be offended, but WHY are so many of you doing this? If the grab bar is for the benefit of your passenger, shouldn't it be removed when the hump is being used? I say yes.

That mod reminds me of wearing a necktie with a turtleneck sweater!
Yeah My thoughts exactly... BUT apparantly it's the in thing to do to your Busa. Nothing like making certain your 5 lbs grab handle is allways there, "JUST IN CASE" you have an EMERGENCY PASSENGER or something...
smile.gif

But hey, some folks like putting BIG WINGS on there 4 banger Automatic Honda Accords, this is the same thing... Cause it "Looks Cool..."

He he he... Ah well, it will save that 2 minutes of wrench time when swapping from Cowling to rear seat. These are the same guys that used to allways carry a Condom in their wallet... Hah Hah... "Just in case"...

Still looks plain silly...

Hugs...

Rev

Yeah My thoughts exactly...  BUT apparantly it's the in thing to do to your Busa.  Nothing like making certain your 5 lbs grab handle is allways there, "JUST IN CASE" you have an EMERGENCY PASSENGER or something...  
smile.gif

He he he...  Ah well, it will save that 2 minutes of wrench time when swapping from Cowling to rear seat.  These are the same guys that used to allways carry a Condom in their wallet...  Hah Hah...  "Just in case"...  
Yeah but how many actually carry around the back seat while riding with the hump on?

wow.gif
Good Point. Maybe they are just tired of asking the neighbor to borrow a wrench?
laugh.gif

Ya Know I love ya guys, just messing with ya'll and one of the more bizarre Busa.org trends.

I understand it's a look thing.

Doesn't mean it isn't silly, but I understand it.
tounge.gif

I was thinking people did it so You wont have to un-bolt it on and off for the seat swap??and to have to hold when putting the bike up on a rear stand??

Not My style personally..I actually modded the rear seat so there no notch for it..But to each his own!!

You mean you don't use it for gravel skiing? try pullin each other around in the gravel at 20 mph man this is a blast and the handle keeps you up nice and close to the gravel rooster tail! LOL! I did the mod for 2 reasons 1. I just like to cut back on thenumber of times I put in and take out a bolt or screw no to metion the time invovled. 2. It does make for a more stable grip when placing on the rear stand. As far as a necktie with a turtkle neck I haven't heard anyone give 2 practicle reasons for that yet. Just be carfeul of what you consider goofy verses practical, also to date I haven't heard of a practical reason for eliminating the rear fender with an undertail section when the rear fender prevents debris, dirt and grime from flying up on the rear tail light. The undertail is sweet looking though so we do it anyway. So even if it's not practical and we think it looks cool we'll probably do it anyway, keep the craetive juices flowing!

You mean you don't use it for gravel skiing? try pullin each other around in the gravel at 20 mph man this is a blast and the handle keeps you up nice and close to the gravel rooster tail! LOL! I did the mod for 2 reasons 1. I just like to cut back on thenumber of times I put in and take out a bolt or screw no to metion the time invovled. 2. It does make for a more stable grip when placing on the rear stand. As far as a necktie with a turtkle neck I haven't heard anyone give 2 practicle reasons for that yet. Just be carfeul of what you consider goofy verses practical, also to date I haven't heard of a practical reason for eliminating the rear fender with an undertail section when the rear fender prevents debris, dirt and grime from flying up on the rear tail light. The undertail is sweet looking though so we do it anyway. So even if it's not practical and we think it looks cool we'll probably do it anyway, keep the craetive juices flowing!
Actually... If your going to get all serious about it? A case really cannot be made for the Busa being practical at all.

Lets discuss the problems with Insurance, Shiddy Gas milage, insane tire wear, high maintenence, etc... So the Practicality of the Grab handle mod is the least of our concerns.

I'm not sure why some are doing this but like you say preference, I think the busa looks great without that ugly bar on it.

Back