Cutting the mud-flap rear fendor?

busa2k

Registered
confused.gif
 Has anyone cut the rear tail mud-flap fendor section and made it shorter?  I don't want to do the whole conversion and elimination.  Please, leave me your suggestions.  If you used a hack-saw?  What kinda blade?  Dremel?  Sand-paper?  File?  Thanks!

I don't have any good pics that you can really see the work on mine, right now. I cut mine smooth along the edge such that the enitre flap was removed. I took the turn signals, measured the inside and cut holes so that they would perfectly fit through the undertail part and I mounted them to the flat reinforced plastic part inside. I then finished the cut area with fine sandpaper and heat treated it so it looks like a nice factory job. I didn't like the look of those flush mount signals and did not want to use the tail light as the signals, so this was the best way I found. Plus, the mod cost nothing, other than time.

This is about the best pic I have right now:

20010623_scan010.jpg

lachen011.gif
Narcis - I am planning to do the same but with a pair of turn signals slightly smaller from Lockhart Phillips $20. But Iwas wondering how you mounted the license plate? different bracket??? Aloha / H.busa

I made the bracket myself with two pieces of frame metal and painted the back of the plate black.

Narcis...what did you use to cut?  Hacksaw?  Razor?  And how did you get the cuts perfectly straight? PS...Bike looks good!  Thanks for the info.
yinyang.gif

i cut mine with a hacksaw blade,marked where i wanted, and cut it.i went just below tag so i wouldnt have to make a bracket. looks good.wife said i cant believe you just cut a 12000 dollar motorcycle with a hacksaw blade.
ernaehrung019.gif

I have made the mod yet but this is my plan. I'm cutting the fender completely off, and will sand it down with a fine sand paper and may heat treat it. I will use the existing license plate bracket to mount the tag from the bottom which requires i simply bend both ends of the tag bracket so that they are perpendicular to the deck. As for signals ...who needs em -- just kidding i'm going to get the amber LED hyperlights which are small and unnoticable in the black finish, they also have them in a chrome finish. Once the sanding is finished and before installing the hyperlights i'm going to paint the undertray with the factory blue paint so that it blends in with the rear seat cowl. total cost for the hyperlights $46 a pair.

Now any questions, comments, or recommendations??? :argue:

lachen011.gif
I did mine about a week ago came out nice with a dremel - sand paper - and heat gun. I used a pair of LP signals smaller than stock. But I would like to see the Hyperlights where did you get em? / Kent

Pict0030.JPG

would you be interested in switching out for one thats been cut on a little before .. i am looking for a completely stock one

Back