Crank sensor was the problem..

OB_cbxchris

Registered
I know everyone has seen my post on my modified bike hitting the rev limiter at 9800 without the PC2 and 9200 with it. I done some measuring on the distance between the stator and crank sensor then the thickness of the rotor. The holes holding the sensor were 200 thousandths....I used a 234 thousandths bit and drilled them out....in effect moving the sensor 17 thous. closer to the rotor....I took it back off to recheck that there was no contact with the rotor ...by turning by hand first then cranking....SUCCESS!!!!!!! It runs correctly!!!! I took her out and hit redline in 5th tonight...yeah ha!!!! Thanks for all the help and input!!!!!! Especially Motorhead and turbo rick......put this in your little book because it will crop up on someone else soon.......

Damn, same problem I had with a new off the showroom Yamaha Kodiak 4 wheeler. That air gap is sensitive stuff. Glad you found it!

RPM sorry I just now got your message. Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine.With the stock ecm only I would hit the rev limiter at around 9800...put on a shift light to verify tach...changed 3 ecm`s..2 sensors...no luck put PC 2 on and bike was unridable...popped and cracked...unreal how bad it ran...and went on limiter at 9200....I done the sensor mod and presto ...its cured....I am presently running a Orient Express map for a 1360....Frank is most graciously letting me try his map...one reason I know this fixed it was I went right back with same PC and ecm.......if you still need to talk just let me know.....

CBXCHRIS, can you call me when you get this?? My number is 617-227-6969, and I
l call you right back so it's on my dime. I have a few questions regarding your problems with the PCII, and need to know what map you are using, etc.? If you can't call me, you can try my email address: robertpmurphy@verizon.com
8-5 m-f only. Thanks, Bob Murphy

with the 006 map, my bike starts spitiing and popping around 4k rpm. I have the Akrapovic exhaust, no pair valve, and bmc filter. From what Chris is explaining, it sounds like this may solve my problem. though my bike runs fine w/out the PCII, I still think that it is the position of the pick up that is causing the problem for me. I have replaced the entire crank position sensor, and tested the PCII on another bike(worked fine), and even swapped out my ECM. Still won't run with the PCII w/map 006. Let me be a little more specific, it will run, just not when the PCII starts messing with the ignition timing. That's when the popping and knocking occurs. I am wondering which map he is using so that I can see where, and how much, the timing changes in that particular map to see if there is a similar issue on his bike. Thanks for any help. RPM

I have not checked the TPS yet, but the PCII was indicating that it was working. Knowing that this is not the proper way to check the accuracy of the TPS, my answer is no, I haven't tested it fully. I will mention that the codes that are being produced while running the bike w/PCII-006 are all ignition codes. I think they were 24-27.

Back