cracked fairing

undrcontrl

Registered
Hey guys. So I just pulled all my fairings off so that I can have them repainted to a custom paint scheme. It appears that while I was pulling one of the fairings, the right main fairing, I must have given a bit more "oomph" than I should have and caused a crack approximately 3 inches long.

What are some of your recommended fixes?

Also, if anyone is from the Houston area and happens to know a good shop for doing a custom paint job, let me know that as well! Have a buddy that is going to do it but wouldn't be amiss finding out shop prices as well from reputable sources. Going to be just a matte deep red/maroon, nothing fancy, so that I can do some vinyl decals to accent myself

If you do end up going with a shop, it might be in your interest to see if they can paint your fairings, and fix the crack all at one place.

Since you are willing to pay for a custom paint job, why not buy an oem fairing same side of any color? A custom paint job is going to be a lot of money. I paint and with the cost of paint as high as it is, to do a custom paint job, candy, pearl, etc. you have to be willing and able to charge the customer top $. I wasn't able to do that to people and so I never made ANY money. Some jobs required 5 hours or more of wet sanding and buffing and that's just small parts of a motorcycle with expensive as hell sandpaper. That being said, any plastic weld and or repair I attempted failed over time. I hate ABS however I can do a fiberglass layup like a whiz. I have rebuilt entire boat internals, stringers, etc, and I cannot make an ABS weld hold smh

My patch hasn't failed in 8 years. Depending on the crack it can be fixed in the garage DIY easily. A new fairing isn't cheap and you can get a Busa painted for $1200, especially if you send them the plastic off the bike. Maybe not show quality but a good respectable job.

Back