Copyright

Probably the logo and the word together are trademarked. You can probably use either of them separately, but my guess is that if you somehow connect either of them to the motorcycle, and you sell whatever it is for a commercial gain, you might have a problem.

On the practical side, Suzuki might like the free advertising.
thumb_up.gif

I personally think that if someone is willing to pay someone to embroider something then thay should be allowed to do so. I mean think about it...Suzuki doesn't make everything that people want! It is advertising for them, not taking any money out of thier pockets!
I totally agree....They should look at it like this...Free advertisement.....
Problem is that they don't have control of the quality. So if someone starts pumping out a bunch of junk with the Kanji/logo it refects poorly on Suzuki.

I personally think that if someone is willing to pay someone to embroider something then thay should be allowed to do so. I mean think about it...Suzuki doesn't make everything that people want! It is advertising for them, not taking any money out of thier pockets!
Problem is that they don't have control of the quality.  So if someone starts pumping out a bunch of junk with the Kanji/logo it refects poorly on Suzuki.
I totally understand what you are saying but, Why would i wear or try to sell a product that was poorly made?

Problem is that they don't have control of the quality.  So if someone starts pumping out a bunch of junk with the Kanji/logo it refects poorly on Suzuki.
I totally understand what you are saying but, Why would i wear or try to sell a product that was poorly made?
McDonald's is a great example of copyright and trademark enforcement. They have gone after every mom and pop shop using anything remotely similar to their logos and products.

It is a matter of economics. If someone were to capitalize on a protected product, they effectively draw market share from the rightful owner/purveyor of said product. Thus, causing losses to occur at least theoretically.

I copyright the word this, from now on anyone using THIS word please pay me .50. Also, the price for THIS word will be increasing after the first of the year. Thank you for using THIS.

It is a matter of economics. If someone were to capitalize on a protected product, they effectively draw market share from the rightful owner/purveyor of said product. Thus, causing losses to occur at least theoretically.
THE ISSUE HERE IS ALSO TERMINOLOGY. COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARK ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. THE KANJI AND WORD TOGETHER AS A LOGO ARE MOST LIKELY BOTH COPYRIGHTED AND TRADEMARKED AS WELL AS THE WORD SUZUKI. COPYRIGHTS USUALLY PROTECT SOME FORM OF CREATION, AND THE TRADEMARK GOES ALONG WITH THE COMPANY'S USE OF THAT LOGO.

SO IF YOU SANG THE WORD "THE" A PARTICULAR WAY (I.E. THATS YOUR CREATIVITY IN PLAY)...ANYONE THAT SINGS "THE" THAT WAY WILL HAVE TO PAY YOU FOR THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OR YOU CAN STOP THEM FROM SINGING IT LOL. BUT THEY CAN SAY IT ALL THEY WANT. IF YOU CREATE A "THE" LOGO AND START THE.COM AND DO BIZNESS AS "THE" THEN YOU CAN SUE PEOPLE FOR USING "THE" LATER ON AS THEIR BUSINESS OR IF THEYRE "THE" LOGO RESEMBLES YOURS.

ITS A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THEN THAT BUT THATS "THE" GIST OF IT. I SPEND ALOT OF TIME COPYRIGHTING MUSIC. IVE LEARNED NO ONE CARES UNTIL YOUR MAKING MONEY OFF OF IT.

Back