considering a 2nd bike purchase - looking for input

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
Like the title says, I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a second bike and wanted to get some ideas from folks here. I'm definitely leaning towards a standard cruiser type bike, thinking about something I could hop on and ride cross country and stay comfy. Also perhaps something I could ride 2 up longer distances. I've toyed with a dual sport, a super moto style and just having a dirt bike for a toy. Each time I come back to a standard cruiser style bike.

I've looked at M109R, Gold Wings, various Harley Davidsons, Victory and even the Kawasaki models. I've sorta stayed clear of BMW mostly because of costs but perhaps wrongfully so. Funny to say that when I've mentioned a Gold Wing or HD :laugh: but I'm honestly looking at used bikes mostly. I've riden a road king and a vrod, both were very fun but have heard the 109s are great fun as well.

Anyone have any words of wisdom? Anyone have 2 or more bikes in the stable, how do you split your riding?

I have found some good deals on road kings, ultra classics and vrods and Suzuki has the 0% thing going now if I go with a new one of those. Anything I should be looking at different?

Thanks in advance :beerchug:

Key Words: ride cross country and stay comfy. Honda ST some similar?

To me, I need a bike that, when the tarmac ends, I can keep going. There is SO MUCH to see where there is no pavement. And....dualsports make GREAT touring rigs as well. If the amount of fun you have is part of the selection criteria, dualsport/adventure touring wins hands down!

P1000906.JPG

P1010578.JPG

The Goldwing is nice, but if I were going for the Cadillac cruiser type, I would get a Victory Vision.

Vision is nice no doubt but the 'Wing is a proven platform and has a dedicated aftermarket to rival any model. Vision equals Cadillac but 'Wing equals Rolls Royce. Imho

Go with a sport tourer. Honda ST1300, FJR1300 and C14 are the big three and any of them can be picked up used in great shape for a good price.

My FJR. No bags.
012.jpg

064.jpg

With bags and +4" windshield.
DSC02116.jpg

Lets you have fun along the way getting to the good stuff.

To me, I need a bike that, when the tarmac ends, I can keep going. There is SO MUCH to see where there is no pavement. And....dualsports make GREAT touring rigs as well. If the amount of fun you have is part of the selection criteria, dualsport/adventure touring wins hands down!

That was definitely on the short list until I realized that here on Long Island and really a lot of the north east within a day or so drive, there are not a lot of places to ride when the tarmac ends. I've found a few places out in CO/WY that I've been talking to folks about buying, trying to narrow that down and actually buy a place (well land really). Once I have that sorted out, a dual sport or two will definitely reside in the stable there :thumbsup:

I guess I need to find something I can ride from here to there and also be able to ride around town. Thats been the draw to something like a road king, easy to manage in tighter traffic/town areas but also very capable of hauling cross country. The ultra/wing/victory/etc are definitely hands down long distance cruisers but I worry how nimble they could be in tight town settings

I know someone that has a Buel Ulysses. He is quite fond of it and you can probably score one at a great price. Something different.

I have a Buell XB and have many friends with Ulysses who wouldn't ride any other bike and swear by them if you want a crossover! If you are looking for more Cruiser style I highly recommend a HD Street Glide I had one for about 4 years and cried when I had to part with it!! Street Glide is just a slightly lowered modified Ultra but for the extra money I'd pay for the Street Glide! IMO!!

I could go on about dualsports actually being "trisports" when you consider how great they are as "urban dwellers" but really, if one is in your future anyway, nothing wrong with a Victory, Harley or M109!

I wouldn't overlook BMW. You can pick up a pristine LT at a great price if you are looking for a Luxury Touring bike that feels like a Sport Touring bike on the road. Even two up, you can scrape the pegs. :) I absolutely love mine and think it will always be in the stable.

LT.jpg

Get a Rocket.

I absolutely love my Triumph Rocket III and would strongly recommend that you check them out. You can get them in standard, touring, or "roadster" models. Stick with a 2007+ model, which is the point at which they worked out all the kinks.

It's a really unique bike and she's got some serious power compared to other cruisers. Plus you can customize the bloody hell out of them. My customizations went a bit too far ... but nevertheless, they are still great bikes. Here's a pic of what it looks like when things go "a bit too far:"

Triumph_R3.jpg

Road_Trip.jpg

Best_In_Show.jpg

Get a Rocket.

I absolutely love my Triumph Rocket III and would strongly recommend that you check them out. You can get them in standard, touring, or "roadster" models. Stick with a 2007+ model, which is the point at which they worked out all the kinks.

It's a really unique bike and she's got some serious power compared to other cruisers. Plus you can customize the bloody hell out of them. My customizations went a bit too far ... but nevertheless, they are still great bikes. Here's a pic of what it looks like when things go "a bit too far:"
Im sorry bro but that looks like the prize pig at the county fair.:rofl:

Umm this is a Busa site!
Buy another Busa is my suggestion :)

That's what I did. The first one is rather drag oriented. I had a ZX-10 but it just didn't get me going so last fall I sold it and picked up another Gen-2.

It really comes down to how you will use it. A Busa and a dual sport have different uses.

Back