Commuting Pros and Cons??

I sold my car and bought a bike... So I ride the bike daily. work, groceries, gym, to the bar...

Its really not that bad. Pros - you can park everywhere and if youre lucky, get away with parking tickets.

cons - Rain and bad drivers.

lol... the flaming yellow/green suit is great...

I also ALWAYS run with the High Beam ON and replaced the eep..eep horn with a 130dB horn...

:beerchug:

Here in Cali we split lanes and it is "tolerated" I would not try it there, the blue hairs would kill you out of spite.

Surface streets present there own fun during commute, often involving the "Projects" and the white T-shirt gangs. If that picture as your avatar is actually you... well you will have real fun in the "Projects"

Do not get me wrong, commuting on a bike is great, just know your area. The streets there flood at the least rain, were talking over the curb flooded, and the shell pavement is slicker than I like on a dry day.

No, I do not live in FL now. I did for many years. I rode with some of the board members a couple of years ago and had a good ride. Rode one members Busa, ground off her chicken strips too, and then rode anothers RC51 the next time.

LMAO. Yea my avatar is actually me but I wear a full face helmet silly. Orlando is pretty bad but I am applying for a new job and it will increase my drive time and I am trying to make my drive a little more enjoyable. RLee has meet me. He can vouch. Plus I have posted lots of pics... I will take that a compliment though that you think someone would use my ugly mug in place of their own. :laugh:

I'm the backupinator~!~ :laugh:

Oh you a couple I kids ... :whistle:

Hope it works out for you though, try it and see how you like it. Something I ran into riding to work is the big temp change between going in and getting off. Sometimes have to take an extra sweat shirt or leave a drawer with some extra clothes at work.

I wouldn't mind at all getting wet coming home, but I'd have to change after getting to work a few times after getting caught in a storm.

We have become the freedom of choice tag team havent we? LOL

I take the bike to work every day that the weather permits. I wouldn't want my mom to though. Just 2more cents. Have a blast and safe journeys.

I ride to work when I can. I bought a Givi V46 trunk and an SW-Motech trunk bracket for that exact purpose. I throw my laptop in there and blast off to work. I keep a spare pair of shoes at the office so I don't have to wear my boots all day. I also pay very close attention to the weather. If it's forecast to rain, I never ride. I've only been surprised twice in the last few years, but this ultra-conservative approach causes me not to ride on days when it actually just ends up cloudy with no rain. The single most annoying thing is the massive temperature difference between morning and evening. It's common to have the temperature swing 30 degrees in the course of 10 hours. I may ride in at 52 in the morning and hit low 80's on the way home. That makes choosing your gear pretty much impossible. You're always significantly uncomfortable for half your commute.

I used my busa to comute for 6 years . Never had any big problems other than 30k on my 02 and 45k on my 04 . I finally bought a car after 18 years . Cons , well the weather sucks during the winter .

I combat commute 120 r/t 2 x a week. Psycho road conditions on a good day. Your odds of getting waffled go up. AM they'er asleep- PM they'er tired and pissed.

ok, First, this is my first post -- so hi everyone. Second, on the question of commute or not -- definitely, commute on a Busa. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and have for 12 years. Got here in 1997 - el-nino - and had no choice due to the onyl ride I had was my Suzuki GT550 that I brough in from Canada. More on that later-perhaps.

Fast forward to this year. I've been searching to move up to at least the nineties for a machine that didn't smoke naturally (two strokes forever!) and at long last I came upon a mint 1999 Hayabusa. I looked at R1's, R6's and GSXR's but this machine seduced me.

It was all stock save good slipons (Yosh). Owner was an older police officer so it's essentially been in a time capsule.

I ride 70 miles each day and even though its only been seven months I still feel a nice steady anticipation early in the morning as the ride approaches and late in the day as the return trip draws near. These two events each day put a rather wide smile on my face.

I'm Suzuki through and through. I've only had 3 bikes in my life -- all street. First a GT185 in 1975 - I rode it from Canada to Key West (in March - rather cold) and half way back -- poor little two stroke died of pre-ignition. Then the GT550 which is still with me.

But when I saw the Busa I knew the Suzuki Engineers had been let alone again as they had on the Water Buffalo - even the Rotary Buffalo. So I had to have one and now that dream is sitting in my garage and it just rolled 30,000 miles. I bought it with 22,000.

Sorry for the long post folks but thats my bike story and that's why the commute on a Busa make so much sense to me. Thanks for reading if you got this far!!

:welcome::cheerleader:
Don't think you are getting off that easy either just cause you didn't introduce yourself an your girl which you have been violating for the last 10 months :whistle:

:rulez: We Want em'

:worthless:

:laugh:

I commuted all summer.. and besides the sweat soaked clothing and never getting to dress up for work/ school ... it wasn't bad... except for when I would have a particularly tough workout and my legs felt like jelly and I didn't know how I was gonna hold the bike up... Plus it also kept my shopping to a minimum since I LOATHE the backpack and I kept the little tankbag on my bike all summer.

You can kiss those pretty little heels and skirts you wear all the time goodbye... or if you find a solution for it.. let me know...

I too loathe the backpack, however I'm pretty excited about saving some gas money... I usually get out of work before the rain or just stay until after rain has passed. I enjoy keeping skills up, being entertained by the folks in cages that are talkin on the phone and not paying me any attention. of course I still sweat and get fresh air. It has helped me to drink more water and eat lighter lunches. You know when you eat to much you don't wanna ride your bike... LOL I've lost some weight too.. All in all I believe it is a great idea to commute daily. Every chance I get I ride the bike. :cheerleader::cheerleader::bowdown:

i commute 180 miles a day. all highway no traffic. i find that in the long run the costs are a tad higher than a mazda 6. tires is whats killing me. even with avon storms im almost going through 1 a month. but its so damn fun. and i can actually stay awake on the way home.

@beegirl

we have the same bike(color), jacket, and job..... creeepy....:laugh:

I commute every day because riding a great bike shouldn't be reserved for just the weekends. I hated that my bike only got ridden twice a week. In Dallas we have special lanes that multi-passenger vehicles and motorcycles can use. It makes getting to work fast!

Back