clutch nut dimple

toncrell

Registered
say guys im tring to do the brocks mod for the clutch but i cant get the dimple that is over the clutch nut to raise up, (indentation of the outer ring on nut). do i need to have it raised up to remove the nut or can i just put some muscle to it and the nut will come off? 2020 gen 2 busa thanks

ya im trying with a socket set and its moving back wheel even with brake and i dont want to round out the nut ill try the impact route thanks

This clutch hub nut is the one you are talking about, correct?
If so, then as above, open the crimped in safety with a hammer and punch.
If it isn't opened up, using an impact can damage the lead threads on the clutch hub/transmission shaft.
They all look ugly after, and are reuseable, but this one got replaced with titanium.

Screenshot_20240109-131150_Gallery.jpg

How timely as this is on my list.

@sixpack577 from the point of making sure to straighten it out first, how much impact can the shaft take as one jams a punch or chisel between the nut and spindle? It seems that everything is at risk of damage no matter which method one uses?

There is a lot of advice out there to just spin it off with an impact like @Bumblebee iterated. If the shaft is harder than the nut, that would not cause harm, yes? But we do not know?

Do you call this bend of the nut "staking"? Or what is the highly intellectual mechanic's term? I need to know!

@sixpack577 from the point of making sure to straighten it out first, how much impact can the shaft take as one jams a punch or chisel between the nut and spindle? It seems that everything is at risk of damage no matter which method one uses?

There is a lot of advice out there to just spin it off with an impact like @Bumblebee iterated. If the shaft is harder than the nut, that would not cause harm, yes? But we do not know?

Do you call this bend of the nut "staking"? Or what is the highly intellectual mechanic's term? I need to know!
I've used the impact on this nut with my other bikes....I haven't have to use it on the Bumblebee though...yet.....

Yes, I have heard it called staking.
Rotate the opening to the 6 o'clock position, and put in a punch or flat blade that fits.
The bigger and heavier the hammer the better, that will make it easier.
Knock the 'staked' ends back out where they should be(you will be hammering more downward, vs in).
@Bumblebee is correct that you can spin some off with an impact, but the nut is staked on the Busa and Gsxr shaft to where if you don't knock the stakes out, they can gouge the lead in thread on the shaft as the nut spins off.
The shaft itself(and of course the threads) are hardened steel, and very strong.
And, if you did damage the threads, a small, fine tooth, triangular file will fix them. Just start in good threads, and slowly work your way around and out.
I always hold the basket with clutch basket pliers, inside the basket(all plates out), and use an impact to remove the nut after knocking out the stakes.
For instalation, again hold with basket pliers, and use a torque wrench.
I keep the bike in neutral too.
I never remove the front sprocket nut or clutch hub nut unless the transmission is in neutral.
That prevents any damage to the shift forks.
No impact or basket pliers? You can take a piece of brass or aluminum, and let it jam between the basket gear and the gear that one meshes with.
This obviously jam the gears, and allows you to loosen or tighten the clutch hub nut.
The brass or aluminum is softer than the hardened steel gears, so the brass or aluminum will get chewed up a little, and the gears will be unharmed.
Old school dirtbiker's trick
lol

Last edited:
You also don't need to put alot of effort into staking it again.
It's fine to reuse the old nut, so the metal is going to bend back where it was easily enough.
A new nut doesn't need much effort either.
I have seen them beaten in all they would go, but all you need is one good hit to knock the curve out of the nut.
Should the nut vibrate loose(almost impossible if done correctly, never say never, lol), then as soon as the indent on the nut rotates an 8th" off of the flat and on to the curve of the shaft, it will stop.
I also always put a small drop of blue/medium thread locker on the threads too, that's overkill, hurts nothing, takes 2 seconds, and may save you from the one in a million chance it comes loose, lol

That is detailed technique information. Really awesome and helpful @sixpack577.

Yes sir
Always glad to help.
Waiting to hear good things when you finish up this round of mods and maintenance.
Some jobs are frustrating, but I am willing to bet that when you're done, any frustrations will be replaced with satisfaction, and wondering why you didn't do it sooner.

lol ok so i need to unjam the nut first and i guess manually spin the tire to get the dimple in the six o'clock spot right? right now it at 9 also i was told to put it in second gear to make it easy

lol ok so i need to unjam the nut first and i guess manually spin the tire to get the dimple in the six o'clock spot right? right now it at 9 also i was told to put it in second gear to make it easy

It doesn't have to be at any set clock position, but 6 o'clock makes it easy to hammer out the stakes.
It's up to the individual if they want to do these jobs with the transmission in gear.
I personally never do, to prevent shift fork damage, which can happen.

say guys im tring to do the brocks mod for the clutch but i cant get the dimple that is over the clutch nut to raise up, (indentation of the outer ring on nut). do i need to have it raised up to remove the nut or can i just put some muscle to it and the nut will come off? 2020 gen 2 busa thanks

the easiest way to do this is with a compressed air impact wrench.

and read the f...ing manual before re-assembling and watch the torques !!

Back