Clutch basket

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
So I took some time this weekend and took a few pics.

For you guys who are still running a stock clutch setup behind a strong motor you may want to look into this. In the past I've run heavy duty springs with my clutch. I never had a feailure but based on these pics I may have eventualy had a bad one. The next time you have your clutch out for PM you may want to pull the basket and inspect it very closely for any signs of wear.

Since my basket is apart it was easy to inspect things. You would have to look closely from the inside of the basket to check for any wear.

On the surface everything looks good:

P4115662.jpg

P4115666.jpg

P4115664.jpg

just a friendly FYI for you racers out there. I don't think this is something to worry about if you just street ride with a mild pipe/map engine setup.

How many miles on the clutch basket. I'm not talking about the plates/fibers. The basket assy.

that's a good question. My first basket which was all street lasted for >70k miles. My second one, which is the damaged one in these pics probably had about 30k miles on it and 33 LSR runs.
This is also why I don't think the street rider needs to worry. For the folks racing who put a much greater load on their setup I would suggest inspecting the basket each season/clutch swap. It doesn't take much effort and if you catch something before complete failure you'll save yourself a ton. :thumbsup:
How many miles on the clutch basket. I'm not talking about the plates/fibers. The basket assy.

sure it's been on a street 1585cc engine. Hp varied between 220-210. My new setup is 1623cc pushing 250's. The Basket was proabably toast before this.

Just curious Ken, do you build your big bore engines yourself or sub it out. And if so, who do you use?

I need a basket and maybe a hub. What ya got Gixx1300R? multi stage lockup and quick access cover would be nice too:thumbsup:

Back