Clunky transmission.

Busacure

Registered
I have started to notice that the transmission makes a clunk sound. Let me elaborate. Say while stopped, in first gear, I let the clutch out some, similar to if it wont go into gear and I carefully pop the clutch to convince it to go into gear. It clunks. Same if I'm in second gear while stopped. Also while upshifting, it feels like their is some kind of slack in the transmission. I pull in clutch, shift up to next gear while not under acceleration, and smoothly re-engage clutch. That instant the clutch is engaged and i re-apply throttle I feel and hear that clunk. Bike didn't do that until recent last 50 miles. I may need to adjust chain tension, but their isn't that kind of slack in the chain to make this condition IMO. Any clues? :please:

my 08 does it as well , didnt do it when new , the bike only has 2000 miles now . ive got it narrowed down to the back torque limiter. a tighter chain helps though .i hate the clunk sound/ feel

Hi:

This is exactly what my 08 starting doing about 6000km on the odometer. Before that it seem very good and also never missed shifts and never went into false neutrals. It slowly started to make more clunking noises and finding false neutrals over the next 2000km. Did some digging on this site and found that there is a TSB from Suzuki warning that the Clutch spring bolts may back out with time and should be checked, locktite applied, and tighten to spec torque.
I also read about some mods that would help tighten the drivetrain and give smoother shifting. These were the Brock Ultra Clutch mod and the Factory Pro Evo Star shifter mods.
I ordered both kits, and did both mods together. When I took off my clutch cover on the right side all my clutch springs were loose! I could take them off with finger pressure only. So I am very glad I did this, as this could have caused more damage or created an unsafe condition while riding. I would highly recommend that you take your clutch cover off and check the tightness of the bolts to ensure they are not backing out. Here is the link to the TSB which clearly details what to do to correct the situation:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/108236-service-bulletin-hayabusa-b-king.html

As for the mods listed above, you don't have to do them to correct this issue, but they do improve the shifting (Factory Pro EVO kit) making shifting more precise and less effort and the Brocks kit tightens up the clutch lever and makes the drivetrain "tighter".

Take care.

Rumble

Alright. I did some basic inspection. I tightened the chain. While bike was on stand I started to rock the rear tire back and forth very slightly and got that sound. I pulled the clutch in and did the same process. Got a slightly different slack/slop sound. So then I did the same process and varied the clutch pull, and got another variation of that slack/slop sound. I had also noticed the on off throttle actin was getting jerky as well BTW.
Going back about 100 miles on the odo. the engine began to tick or tap, heard best from above the bike. I took it to the shop and asked them if they had serviced the TSB #199 as mention in this forum. They swore they did. Took it at value. They told me they would look into it more during the first service. This bike is an 09 BTW.

my dealer also swore to me that ,the work that that service bulletin outlined was already done . ive always ridden bike bore kawis , they have never had these issues. it really pisses me off that this is even an issue on a new bike!! that all being said ,I LOVE THIS FRIGGING BIKE!!! ITS AWESOME 08 busa
02 zx12r
83 kz1100
90 zx11

Alright. I did some basic inspection. I tightened the chain. While bike was on stand I started to rock the rear tire back and forth very slightly and got that sound. I pulled the clutch in and did the same process. Got a slightly different slack/slop sound. So then I did the same process and varied the clutch pull, and got another variation of that slack/slop sound. I had also noticed the on off throttle actin was getting jerky as well BTW.
Going back about 100 miles on the odo. the engine began to tick or tap, heard best from above the bike. I took it to the shop and asked them if they had serviced the TSB #199 as mention in this forum. They swore they did. Took it at value. They told me they would look into it more during the first service. This bike is an 09 BTW.

The ticking noise is unfortunately normal:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/114871-ticking-noise-low-rpms-help-please.html

Mine does it too.

Just got done checking the TSB issue. All good. Nothing loose. No marred spots. Removing the fairing for the first time was the hardest part. :thumbsup:

im sure others have this clunkeness going on w/ their shifting, would definately appericiate some more input
thanks all

If the clutch pressure plate bolts are correctly tightened look at the cush drive. The bushings in it might be getting worn. At almost 13k my bikes cush is getting pretty sloppy.

The trannies on our bikes have to deal with the power alot of cars put out...it takes some big tough gearing for that. They're bound to have a little gear lash. That being said tho, between me switching to hard rubber cush drive dampers, and installing a tre, I've developed a very irritating clunk...bad enough that I might go back to the softer stock cush rubbers at the next rear tire change. My stockers only lasted 7k miles, but I'm fine replacing them every 2 rear tires over living with the hellacious clunk :banghead:

My bike has 340 miles on it. Clunk came from inner transmission. Seems like the slop is between the shaft that the front sprocket is attached to and the clutch. I wish I had the schematics on the trans. so I could see exactly whats going on on there. Never did this until recently. What would "break in" within 340 miles to increase a tolerance in a transmission this much? Need some more help guys.

what ive found related to the area you mention is the location of the back torque limiter,one thing that puts my mind a little more at ease about this issue, is that it seems enough people are experiencing the issue to call it normal. It is definatly a new one to me

Searched "back torque limiter" and found that this has been an annoyance since 2004. That would explain everything. Putting bike on rear stand and putting it in any gear rotate rear wheel and it clunks when it hits its limit of travel (one side of the provided slack aka "BTL") and another clunk when rotated the opposite direction. Being that it didn't do this when I first drove the bike off the dealership lot, I'm guessing this BTL has a few active clutch plates in the clutch pack and i have worn them in, increasing the clearances allowing it to rotate more freely within the clutch and hitting it's limits with more force making it clunk/collide. Correct me if I'm off on a tangent and flying a black helicopter. Confirmation from a "pro" would be easing on the mind. Cash for clunkers :laugh:

Hi:

This is exactly what my 08 starting doing about 6000km on the odometer. Before that it seem very good and also never missed shifts and never went into false neutrals. It slowly started to make more clunking noises and finding false neutrals over the next 2000km. Did some digging on this site and found that there is a TSB from Suzuki warning that the Clutch spring bolts may back out with time and should be checked, locktite applied, and tighten to spec torque.
I also read about some mods that would help tighten the drivetrain and give smoother shifting. These were the Brock Ultra Clutch mod and the Factory Pro Evo Star shifter mods.
I ordered both kits, and did both mods together. When I took off my clutch cover on the right side all my clutch springs were loose! I could take them off with finger pressure only. So I am very glad I did this, as this could have caused more damage or created an unsafe condition while riding. I would highly recommend that you take your clutch cover off and check the tightness of the bolts to ensure they are not backing out. Here is the link to the TSB which clearly details what to do to correct the situation:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/108236-service-bulletin-hayabusa-b-king.html

As for the mods listed above, you don't have to do them to correct this issue, but they do improve the shifting (Factory Pro EVO kit) making shifting more precise and less effort and the Brocks kit tightens up the clutch lever and makes the drivetrain "tighter".

Take care.

Rumble

Ditto on the Brock's Clutch Mod and Evo Star Shift Mod. :thumbsup:
That will fix it I bet.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/92211-more-shifting-help.html

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/brockracing/-strse-1263/Ultra-Light-Clutch-Mod/Detail

Last edited:
Yep.. Busa's be doing some clunking and for the most part is normal.. Do the Brock's clutch mod and the only thing you will ever wonder about is why you didn't do it sooner !!!

:beerchug:

As you all know I have a 2009 Busa and I have to admit I've seen alot of threads talking about mantenance issues with these newer Busa's. I have not experienced any problems with my Busa yet but I only have 1700 miles on it. I paid $15,200.00 for my bike out the door and I'm a little concerned with all of these problems I'm reading about. Call me old school but I think that if one buys a big bore bike new it should last for a long time before anything goes wrong with it. Some of these problems I have been reading about occured within a few thousand miles? Not good in my opinion. With this all being said I would assume these bikes should last if not rode too hard and service correctly IAW the mantenance schedule. Should I be concerened? I also have a 2008 Kawa VN900 with 7k miles with no problems, I was hoping the same for my 09 Busa.....???

Back