Clear coat swirls

KanjiBusa

Seizures Suck!
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone know what product you can use to get rid of the swirls and tiny scratches in the clear coat? I am looking for the "SHOWROOM FLOOR GLOSS" again
laugh.gif
cool.gif
super.gif

Thanks

goto www.properautocare.com (my favorite) or

www.autopia-carcare.com or

www.autogeek.net or

www.bettercarcare.com

You will learn more about cleaning, polishing, and waxing than you wanted to know.

All kinds of products are available. Meguiars makes some good stuff.

Important tip - never touch your vehicle's paint with anything other than a good quality micro-fiber cloth or a REAL lamb's wool mitt.

Want proof? My 04, taken yesterday - pay no attention to the wheels......

pward76_just_right.jpg

Thanks, I just had the plastics off for their annual polishing and waxing.

I rarely wash it with water. Use a quick detailer spray and a micro-fiber cloth.

I checked out a spiral bound book from the library back in the mid 80's called "Car Beautiful". Best damn book I ever read on the subject. One thing it mentioned was to use cloth baby diapers to wash the car and put them through the wash several times before using to remove any starch. Also always go in straight lines when washing and applying wax/polish, never in a circular motion.
A lot of common sense stuff too like wash from the top down, change out the bucket of water frequently and if a if a rag touches the ground you throw it out and get a fresh one.

Here's a picture of my car that turned SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD back in November. This is the original factory paint, I challenge anyone to top that!

storm2.jpg

Garage kept is much easier to maintain. I would recommend Zaino Brothers products as well. Basic technique: Wash with dish-soap and clean prep'd diaper (as mentioned above) or microfiber. rinse. claybar it until your elbows can't rub anymore. rinse with hot clean water and thoroughly dry. then start the polish process, I suggest if using Zaino to get the accelerator which greatly speeds up the drying time of the polish. Apply at least two complete coats, in the straight horizontal line technique (also mentioned above). Good luck.

I have had success on black vehicles using sifted (to break up any clumps) corn starch and polishing wheel with light pressure.

(Turbo-Torch @ Apr. 02 2007,19:flamethrowing:) I checked out a spiral bound book from the library back in the mid 80's called "Car Beautiful". Best damn book I ever read on the subject. One thing it mentioned was to use cloth baby diapers to wash the car and put them through the wash several times before using to remove any starch. Also always go in straight lines when washing and applying wax/polish, never in a circular motion.
A lot of common sense stuff too like wash from the top down, change out the bucket of water frequently and if a if a rag touches the ground you throw it out and get a fresh one.

Here's a picture of my car that turned SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD back in November. This is the original factory paint, I challenge anyone to top that!

storm2.jpg
Now THAT is impressive.

My black F150 is only 4 years old - (still looks like that, btw)

I tried Zaino, and liked it, but the shine was too "plastic" looking. It had no depth. I prefer a good white carnuba wax (Pinnacle Souveran)

For washing, I use the two bucket method. One bucket for soapy water, one for rinse water. Lamb's wool mitt in the soapy water, wash the panel. Mitt in the rinse water, to remove the dirt, and then back in the soapy water. California water blade to remove most of the water, then a micro fiber cloth to dry.

+1 on the claybar - good stuff

(CAT3 @ Apr. 02 2007,20:11) Garage kept is much easier to maintain. I would recommend Zaino Brothers products as well. Basic technique: Wash with dish-soap and clean prep'd diaper (as mentioned above) or microfiber. rinse. claybar it until your elbows can't rub anymore. rinse with hot clean water and thoroughly dry. then start the polish process, I suggest if using Zaino to get the accelerator which greatly speeds up the drying time of the polish. Apply at least two complete coats, in the straight horizontal line technique (also mentioned above). Good luck.

I have had success on black vehicles using sifted (to break up any clumps) corn starch and polishing wheel with light pressure.
I like the corn starch idea. Any tips on how to work it? Mix it to a paste consistancy or thinner? Work it until it's dry, or keep it wet?

How aggressive is the cut? Overkill for swirls, or no?

Inquiring minds and all that......

I use a professional 3M product that many body shops use. It is available at automotive paint stores. It is mildly abrasive to clear coat and works wonders on clear coat scratches and swirls. I use a micro fiber towel to apply/remove it with elbow grease. After removing the scratch I follow it up with a good quality wax.

If you are interested, PM me and I will look out in the shed tomorrow to get the exact product number for the 3M stuff.

(MrSlug @ Apr. 02 2007,23:49) I use a professional 3M product that many body shops use. It is available at automotive paint stores. It is mildly abrasive to clear coat and works wonders on clear coat scratches and swirls. I use a micro fiber towel to apply/remove it with elbow grease. After removing the scratch I follow it up with a good quality wax.

If you are interested, PM me and I will look out in the shed tomorrow to get the exact product number for the 3M stuff.
I would like to know about the 3m. I have a black truck that shows everything. Took it to be professionally detailed and the clear coat now has swirls now.

I use mothers pre-wax cleaner followed by meguiars step 2 polish and finally step 3 wax... pretty much no swirls that I can detect.. did this with my old honda hawk nt650 after it was painted and for a couple yrs after still no swirls... then traded it for the Busa...
cool.gif

pretty much looks like this most of the time... if I get lazy and don't do much and it gets rained on or dirty just normal wash with an auto soap with the lambs wool cloth and then the usual formula stated.. generally I get a pack of precut material that is much like the inside of a soft sweater and use that to do the work... too cheap for the micro stuff... and still no swirls...

Image00001.jpg

Jeremy, I don't know what you use to clean your bike, buy it would be my guess that you are using a towell or some other rar to wipr down your bike. There are alot of wax and polish products out there that will do the job, but I would suggest that you use a micro fiber cloth with whatever you use. I have several products on the trailer if you want to work on it for the bash.

Sure, I will most likely get those products a week before the bash, and get it to shine, That would be greatly appreciated, Maybe some day before spring break, we can throw a detail day, and get oms, you and mine all shining like crazy

Back