Cleaning with Kerosene

FWIW, WD-40 cleans as well as kerosene (the chain I mean) and won't harm plastic or paint. I use it for getting all the nasty stuff (bugs, chain fling, road tar, etc) off my bike.
Honda spray cleaner/polish cleans all that stuff as good as WD-40 and works well on all the materials on your bike. Plus it shines up nicely with a little buffing. It cuts right thru the thickest chain lube splatters.
Amen! I use the hell outta that stuff.

I use Honda HP chain lube as well. Mother Honda spends a ton of money on their chemicals. The HP lube has a solvent that evaporates a few minutes after dispersal, a dry Teflon based lubricant that protects the chain and doen't fling, and it's pretty affordable too, $5.99 for a huge can, only about four bucks for a mid-sized one.

Shouldn't cause a problem for you.  It's not a lubricant with binding qualities.  Trust me... I know... I work for an oil refinery and kerosene is one of our by-products.  If you happen to spill any on your brakes, just a simple rinsing with hot water will wash it away.

Brian
But if it got onto the pads, would it eat away at them.  How about the wheel bearings?  I couldn't really wipe that stuff off if it got into some tight places.
Damn MeltDown, it sounds as if you're planning to buy a 5-gal drum of kerosene and just pouring it all over the bike...
biggrin.gif
 If you just put kerosene on a rag and wipe the dirty areas, then you shouldn't have to worry about kerosene getting anywhere else but where you put it.  As I said before... on my chain I just pour a little kerosene in a plastic cup (not foam because kerosene will eat it up) and use an over-sized toothbrush for cleaning.  While bike is on rear stand, I just simply scrub an area, then rotate the wheel.  Works like a charm.  After cleaning, I use the Chain Lube because it adheres to the chain and doesn't fling all over the place.

Brian
I like to put the cleaner fluids in spray bottles.  It seems to get into all the little spaces better.  And, I rinse of the dirt this way.  Makes cleaning real easy.  But, the rear brake hangs down low and is liable to get a good dose as well if a slip up.  Plus, I wan't to clean the rotors (the gold colored part)

BTW...while we're at it... Is there anything that should be used to clean the brake rotor contact surface?
I really don't know what else to tell ya MeltDown. It just seems that you don't want to mess up that pretty manicure...
laugh.gif
ices_rofl.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
I'm just bullshittin' man. But seriously though, you ought to try the toothbrush thing.

Brian

biggrin.gif

kerosene and a match...................................cleans most everything,............................... but then again, it's hard to recognize your bike when you're done!!!!!
tounge.gif

If you wouldn't mind, can somebody give me a <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:orangered'>QUICK</span></span>response to the best way of putting out a Kerosene fire?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif

rock.gif

Back