Cleaning the break calipers

Dino

VERITAS - AEQUITAS
Donating Member
Registered
I have my front wheel off and I am waiting for my tier to come in. What can I use to clean the breaks calipers? I am thinking a toothbrush but any suggestions on the cleaner?

Thanks

yes. dino use brake cleaner. pull the pads out and spray them down. the grime will come off very easy almost not even need to use a brush. whipe them down good after:beerchug:

dont mix up the pads. put them in same place.

Last edited:
complete tear down or just spraying them out?

just spraying them down....yep brake cleaner

total tear down...

remove all seals and bleeders...and soak them in kerosene...scrub them good....let them dry...add some clean brake fluid to lube parts as you reassemble

complete tear down or just spraying them out?

just spraying them down....yep brake cleaner

total tear down...

remove all seals and bleeders...and soak them in kerosene...scrub them good....let them dry...add some clean brake fluid to lube parts as you reassemble

+1 never use the brake cleaner on the o-ring seals...

No front wheel....read the whole thread for a change....:poke:

Hye grasshopper...even from the Clap you learn somethin dontcha!???:laugh:

get some good old fashioned 409 cleaner and your tooth brush.. has enough detergent to get the black dust off and will not hurt a thing, rinse with some water.. (never had much success with brake cleaner and that black dust)

Regardless of what I was doing with the brakes, I would NEVER use a petroleum based cleaner like kerosene or stoddard solvent (common solvent). Those products are instant death to internal brake parts/seals as well as the external dust boots.. Brake parts are not designed to have these oil based cleaners on them at all (includes brake lines too)

Use brake clean for any internal parts cleaning as it evaporates fully and will not leave any residue behind.. the only part of the bore that makes any difference is where the inside seal sits on the Tokiko, rust or other crud is only cosmetic. Pistons must also be flawless..

AFWIW.... gasoline is not a good option either, in fact it is worse than kerosene (not to mention dangerous)

Last edited:
Back