Cleaning inside sprocket cover

For those that have never ventured.....the build-up is standard from chain lube "yield" and dust and dirt accumulation. If you notice in the dirty-photo, the build-up on the rod forward of the sprocket. "That" is why people's clutch-rod seals start leaking. It eventually "roughs" the radius of the rubber seal that is responsible for keeping a fluid seal on that clutch-rod. Then you have to do a lot of work to get that seal replaced. If I might recommend...I've done three cover / sprocket / clutch-rod cleanings at roughly 12,000 mile intervals. I'm shortening that interval to 10,000 miles from here on out.....

If I may, it is my opinion that Suzuki should have put in a cast radius inside the cover between the chain and the clutch-rod containing the fling from the chain, and isolating a problematic condition that causes seal failure. The aftermarket billet covers come with them, why not the stock ????....Anyway, if you're reading this and haven't done this service in a long time, do it now. Not later...NOW.

wow, makes me wanna get an aftermarket cover now!
Posted via Mobile Device

For those that have never ventured.....the build-up is standard from chain lube "yield" and dust and dirt accumulation. If you notice in the dirty-photo, the build-up on the rod forward of the sprocket. "That" is why people's clutch-rod seals start leaking. It eventually "roughs" the radius of the rubber seal that is responsible for keeping a fluid seal on that clutch-rod. Then you have to do a lot of work to get that seal replaced. If I might recommend...I've done three cover / sprocket / clutch-rod cleanings at roughly 12,000 mile intervals. I'm shortening that interval to 10,000 miles from here on out.....

If I may, it is my opinion that Suzuki should have put in a cast radius inside the cover between the chain and the clutch-rod containing the fling from the chain, and isolating a problematic condition that causes seal failure. The aftermarket billet covers come with them, why not the stock ????....Anyway, if you're reading this and haven't done this service in a long time, do it now. Not later...NOW.

Thanks for the info. I never had a chain driven bike for more than 5000 miles before so I had no clue something like that happens. Do you know who makes one of the billet covers you referred too? I rather put one on my bike while it's still fairly new and not have to worry about the problem with the clutch rod seal going bad. I only have 2000 miles on my 09 right now so the build up shouldn't be a problem for me. I also use motor oil as recommended per the service manual. Will I still have that build up problem?

they say kerosene. will swell the seal around the cluch rod and let dirty get inside any info on this thanks :whistle:

well that was fun... decided to just scrape out and wipe down a bit..no sence being anal about how clean i live on a dirt driveway.. cant keep everything showroom clean

But did ya get the clutch-rod ????......... :oldcool:

Everyone else, get in line !!! Do this service, like NOW..... :super:

By the way Nick, this one I really like. Notice the sleeve for the clutch-rod ????..... Nice.

SPROCKET COVER 2.jpg

Last edited:
I cleaned mine this past weekend. It had a good 1/4" of crud built up in there. I used carb cleaner at first, but that didn't get the tough stuff. I ended up using brake cleaner and a wide flat screwdriver.

just did tha same to mine....hadnt been touched in almost 18mos n been ridden by a douchbag:poke: *:whistle:* i think i got high on the brake cleaner:cheerleader:
anyone else need their sprocket cova cleaned?? hmmm? hmmm?:lol:

By the way Nick, this one I really like. Notice the sleeve for the clutch-rod ????..... Nice.

yep look at all those nooks and crannies for the chain tobunch up in ifyou toss one...

although that cover is very pretty...it is a very bad idea.

cast anything will not stop a chain...it will shatter from the impact.

the pot metal used in the cases is junk compared to the t6 used in the aftermarket covers and even those are weak when compared to impact strength of steel.

the gunk that was cleaned off MIGHT....MIGHT have impact on four areas

Front trans seal
Clutch slave seal
shifter seal
chain

If you properly clean and lube your chain at regular intervals...the chain is a non issue

Front trans seal I have only seen damage due to an impact same with the shifter seal

clutch slave seal was corrected with a condom in 02-03

works decently

Smithabusa should be able to hook you up with product that will also help keep dirt off the rod.

That wasn't isn't cast anything, it's made of steel..... :oldcool:

i didnt take pics...hands too greasy..and i decided once i got all the thick stuff off and wipped down..i didnt bother with spit polishing it since ill be pulling the sprocket soon. and im not a "its got to be squeaky clean" type of guy. (live on dirt road so i wash and wax but to detail clean...dont see the point)

Thanks Spudley, do you know who makes that one? I'm having a hard time finding one on google but I'm probably searching for the wrong thing.

Back