Chroming wheels

curtis T

Registered
:usa: Somthing I never did with any of my bikes through the years is chrome the wheels, Iv'e polished and painted and even had bikes with chrome already on them, but don't really have any experiance with getting parts chromed.
Does anybody know if chroming my aluminum busa wheels is a reliable process, will the chrome stay on the wheel for years without flaking or having problems? Will chroming add much weight? Has anyboby here done this, and did it turn out to your liking? whats the going rate for cost?
Just a few questions going through my mind here on this issue,,,any comments from someone who knows about chroming would be much appriciated!!
ernaehrung004.gif

HAD MY RIMS CHROMED ABOUT A MONTH AGO. THE WEIGHT DIFFERENCE HAS NOT EVEN BEEN NOTICED. IF YOU LIVE IN WEST TN OR NORTHERN MS THERE IS A BUSINESS TUPELO, POWERSPORTS THAT YOU CAN TAKE YOUR BIKE TOO AND THEY WILL SWAP YOUR RIMS FOR THE CHROME WHILE YOU WAIT. IT COST ME $632.00 BUT IT WAS WELL WORTH THE MONEY. CHROME RIMS REALLY SET A BUSA OFF.

OF COURSE EVERYTHING ELSE IS POLISHED BY ME.

Stunnah, I'm pretty sure I know of the place you're talking about. I have people here (Jackson, Ms) telling me they charge about $350 for chroming wheels. I could be wrong, but that's what I was told. Let me check it out, and I'll get back with you

sportchrom is good too....if you're near TX, check in Dallas and Houston....i've heard there are a few places there.

Hey gent's just a little warning...

When your getting your parts chromed if you can see what type of work they produce (finished product) it would be best...Or go with a company that was recommended by another member...The finished chrome is only as good as the polish work, all parts have to be polished before they can be chromed...Check to make sure their polishing in the corners and cracks and around the lip of the rim (center) if their not the chrome will not adhere to those areas well...

Also most companies will give at least a year warranty on their work...Keep your receipt...

As far as how much life you get out of the chrome, I really don't know...A lot depends on how well you maintain your bike...Mine is clean and ready to ride even when being stored...A little windex and presto your ready to roll and bling, bling...It would take a person deep in examination of the rims to detect a small chip or fade...Also when you swap tires make sure whoever does the swapping for you knows what their doing...Had a friend getting his swapped out and the guy placed a bar on the rim and you could hear it when it cracked...

Sorry bout the length...

looks like sportchrome.com has good price, and I have read alot of good RECENT about jon's operations...

sounds like a project, have never had the wheels off before. how hard is it to strip the wheels of all the hardware?

It'll help if you get a friend to hold the wheel while you break the rotor bolts loose,
unless you don't like where your nutz are located.
wow.gif

Removing the rotors is not hard at all just use a cheater to help with the bolts...

Another option would be to purchase chrome wheels.  
Check-out:
RC Compontents

PM Performance Machine

I have the RC Components "Triton" wheels.
eyes.gif

Back