Changing your oil

Brianejay

Registered
Done it on a car but never on a bike.

Where is the best (cheapest) place to order/buy oil filters and oil.....

Any tips or tricks I should know about?

Do I need any special tools?

Thanks for all your help on my other posts.

I've spent anywhere from $14 for a Suzuki brand filter, to just $6 for a FRAM filter...just depends on what you want to spend, but most places like Autozone and Advanced Auto carry filters for motorcycles...

Oil is another sticky topic and everyone's got their own opinion...is synthetic better than non? Is this brand the best or is that? Your best bet there is to use the SEARCH button in the upper right of the screen and type in oil, look through the threads for opinions on each and decide from there...

One tip, change the filter EVERY time you change the oil...why the hell not I say?
biggrin.gif
It's not too expensive and I have something against reusing filters after an oil change.

Second tip, toss some aluminum foil over the exhaust line before you pull that filter off...keeps you from having oil get all over the pipe, just a mess...

No special tools used here...just a huge wrench and some rags
laugh.gif
I didn't rush out to buy the oil filter wrench, but hey, to each his own...

Your biggest hurdle will be getting the plastic off the side of the Busa...first few times are kind of frustrating, but after you've done it some, it's not that bad...just remember there are push pins under the nose that will give you some hang up if you don't get 'em out and there's a fairly stiff grommet that is holding the upper panel (black piece between your tank and the side fairing) that will make you wonder if you're not about to break something trying to pull it off...the side panel and that upper piece are connected...just so you know...

smile.gif

I'm sure others will chime in...good luck!

Reactions: Zee
Cheap? For a Busa?
wow.gif

Va is right, do a search on oil and filters and you'll have enough reading to do from one change to the next.
My $.02? I use Suzuki filter and Dino oil. Check with sponsors and these sites here for best prices. MR Cycle,Onieda.

Well, flaming aside 'cause I know it's coming
laugh.gif

I used 3 of those Suzuki filters...sure, they're nice...but, at $14 a pop and the fact that the only shop in my area that carries 'em is an hour away
mad.gif
I now use FRAM and have absolutely no problems...

87 octane, $6 filter, no special tools and some synthetic oil that I can't even recall the name off LOL My Busa's happy...
tounge.gif

I can beat that. First service at dealer.
OEMfilter 14.95
oil 4.99/qt
went online and found
OEMfilter $5.99
oil 1.99/qt
was cheaper even with the shipping for a case of oil, 2 filters and a wrench.

Flame the great keeper of chicken planks
rock.gif
I think NOT!
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147475888 -->

17mm socket for oil drain plug.
I use Castrol 10W-40 oil.
Flame away guys....but I wouldn't use a Fram filter if they were FREE! Buy the OEM from your dealer!
Use a strap wrench on that oil filter.
Like posted above, careful with that fairing, they scratch very easily!

Dude, click on the details:

Details

Now look at "Additional Product Information - "GSX1300 ALL YEARS"

<!--EDIT|Rogue_Biker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147581153 -->

I know...should have read some more before opening my big mouth...I mean typed a stupid question. I promise to pay more attention to details next time.

Thanks for your patients with the newby,

Brian

Flame away guys....but I wouldn't use a Fram filter if they were FREE! Buy the OEM from your dealer!
What's so bad about a Fram?  Flames not necessary, I'm trying to learn why an OEM oil filter is better (other than the fact the bike is developed and tested to use the Suzuki oil filter ... that's documented in several places.)

If somebody can give me a good reason, I'll start using Suzuki filter but until then, I'll continue using an aftermarket filter.  

I also use Castrol 10W-40 ... which is not recommended in one reputable magazine I just bought since its not a "motorcycle" oil.  (this same mag mentioned some filters have a diverter valve built in, that allows oil to flow around the filter media in case of a plug, congealed oil, or whatever that would prevent oil from passing through the media ... dirty oil is better than no oil ... do OEM filters have this feature ?? )

(my excuses:  I change my oil and filter more often than most people ... every 2k miles or sooner ... I just like changing oil ...
smile.gif
 )

nimzondn

<!--EDIT|nimzondn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147703857 -->

What's so bad about a Fram?  Flames not necessary, I'm trying to learn why an OEM oil filter is better (other than the fact the bike is developed and tested to use the Suzuki oil filter ... that's documented in several places.)

If somebody can give me a good reason, I'll start using Suzuki filter but until then, I'll continue using an aftermarket filter.  

I also use Castrol 10W-40 ... which is not recommended in one reputable magazine I just bought since its not a "motorcycle" oil.  (this same mag mentioned some filters have a diverter valve built in, that allows oil to flow around the filter media in case of a plug, congealed oil, or whatever that would prevent oil from passing through the media ... dirty oil is better than no oil ... do OEM filters have this feature ?? )

(my excuses:  I change my oil and filter more often than most people ... every 2k miles or sooner ... I just like changing oil ...
smile.gif
 )

nimzondn
Have you ever seen a cut away view of a Fram filter? They use cardboard inside the filter in places where quality filters use steel. Ever soak cardboard with oil? Now add pressure to it too. I've seen cardboard dislodge from a filter and block the oil passage, and spray oil everywhere (on heavy equipment). Fram= cheap junk. Not on my busa. Or anything else I own.

Are there any oil filters besides the Suzuki filters that are "quality" filters? Better than a Fram or STP or ??

Are there any oil filters besides the Suzuki filters that are "quality" filters?   Better than a Fram or STP or ??
Purolator makes a motorcycle specific filter and has a model that fits the busa, the ML16818. I buy 'em at Pep Boys. They seem to be well made and Purolator has a very good reputation.

Some use their Pure One model on bikes, but it's not designed for the high oil pressure that most mc's have. Also it has very good filter media, so good that it just doesn't flow enough for high performance bike engines. Or so I've read.

As far as oils I would break her in on dino oil, and then after a couple thousand miles switch to synthetic. I broke mine in on Suzuki oil and Valvoline VR 20W50.

Hope this helps

smile.gif

I've used the Suzuki oil filters for the last two changes. Switched to Mobil 1 mx4t at 2000 + mi.
I'll probably switch to K&N oil filter on next change (if I can find one). The # is K&N 138.............
cool.gif

I suppose I'm going to change from fram to something else. I'm not too worried about the fram's I've used so far since I've been changing my oil very frequently. Now that I've got over 2k miles on it I'm going to extend my oil changing frequency and want a better filter on it.

I can't find Purolator filters for motorcycles. All the auto part stores only carry Puro car filters ... No K&N's for cycles either ... but they all have Fram oil filters for bikes (go figure ??). So I guess I'll opt for the Suzuki's oil filters since I know I can get these ... at the dealer for a substantial cost.

Are there any other filter brands worth using besides Purolator's and K&N's ?

Back