changing oil

extensive

Donating Member
Registered
ok so i know how to change the oil but my last bike (SV650) didnt have any plastics. i dont want to go taking apart the whole bike to find out that i really didnt need to.

what plastics do we need to take off? im thinking (hopefully) its just 1 side. anyways, any tips would be great.

thanks

Just the brake side fairing needs to come off...it's easy after that...
smile.gif

if you are removing the filter also, sometimes it helps to put some cardboard covering the headers to avoid getting them dirty with oil... if you do spill oil on the headers, it's not the end of the world, but when they warm up the oil on them will start smoking and smelling funky...

the right side inner and side panel have to come off. make sure the bike is somewhat cooled off or the headder is going to burn the shiz out of your hands.

Just changed mine last night. I only take the right side off. You don't need to take the inner off. Before you take the filter off, put aluminum foil over the header and that will prevent the oil from dripping on to it. I use the foil because you can form fit it very easily to the header and then poke a couple of small holes in it between header pipes and the oil drains right out. And remember, you can only hand tighten the filter on and make sure you coat the gasket with oil before putting the new filter on. Only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. And you don't want to go to synthetic until you get at least 4-5K miles on the engine. Cause, once you go synthetic, you can't go back or that is what I have always been told. And make sure you use oil that is for a motorcycle. It contains additives that are for the clutch that automotive type oil will not have.

I have used auto engine oil in the last three bikes with no problem. Just make sure it does NOT indicate "energy conserving" Its the friction fighters that may cause your clutch to slip.

Just changed to the Mobil 15-50 at 6500 miles. Was riding and got to thinking "something is different here..."

The shifting had noticeably improved.

(landmissle @ Apr. 10 2007,08:56) I have used auto engine oil in the last three bikes with no problem. Just make sure it does NOT indicate "energy conserving" Its the friction fighters that may cause your clutch to slip.
I do not recommend automotive oil at all. Several threads on the org regarding oil from experts in the field. Also you may want to check out the threads on oil filters. I only use the suzuki filter. You also should use a new washer on the drain bolt. Some say hand tighten only, but the manual says otherwise, I think it's one full turn after the filter makes contact with the mating surface. Thats how I have done it. 30K miles on my 05 with no problems.

The filter can be removed if the R-fairings lower and side fastners are removed. The problem is on the first filter removal or if it was over tightned. A little help with a filter wrench and hand tightne the new one and next R&R will be a 5 min job! The top part of the fairing is a big job to do and even worse if you have sliders installed.  Just MY .02  Anyone had a bad report with Rotella T 5w40??
beerchug.gif

Foil is a great trick. I also use Suzuki OEM filters 1 full turn after contact. And the drain bolt is 16.5ft/lbs as per manual.

A fairing "reinstall" scratch preventive tip is after you remove the top three fasteners on the right fairing, run a few strips of masking tape along the edges (covering the holes from the three removed fasteners). You'll be glad you did!  
smile.gif

Back