changing careers

m_ridgeway

pipeline trash
Donating Member
Registered
I'm thinking about going back to working arounf home. I've been traveling for about four years now and turned out probably in the neighborhood of 12k hours. One more year and ill be vested.

But after that year I'm not sure if ill stick around. So I'm thinking of going back to school to be an oklahoma highway patrolman. Or going to a somewhat related field of medical radiography.

Anyone here have exp or know someone that does either one for a living? Any opinions appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply dont be afraid to change.
Listen to yourself and follow your dreams.
If it doesnt happen, of course you know, you tried.

Sounds like a great choice. Be happy and do what makes you happy. If you become an Oklahoma Highway Patrol, maybe you can even get one of their Busa's.

I went back to school 3 years ago and finished my Bachelors Degree while still working same old job and now I am working on my Master's. I have never been more sure about the track I am on.

If you become an Oklahoma Highway Patrol, maybe you can even get one of their Busa's.

One could hope. lol.

That's what I was going to college for when the wife got pregnant and I needed to start a life. Now she's working and were saving as well as paying off some debt.

OHP has been a dream of mine for some time not to sure how they're fairing with the economy now. they were recruiting when I was looking before.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply dont be afraid to change.
Listen to yourself and follow your dreams.
If it doesnt happen, of course you know, you tried.

I'm not afraid of changing. I went into this job as money now to save for later. Put the wife through some schooling now its my turn.
Posted via Mobile Device

I went back to school 3 years ago and finished my Bachelors Degree while still working same old job and now I am working on my Master's. I have never been more sure about the track I am on.
Good going. I'm thinking ill be a ton happier if I quit traveling.

That's one thing I've considered. Going back to welding and try school with it. Plenty of night shify work. Even wharehouse work like I did in high school would be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its never to late to change. Im currently working on my second bachelor's degree in IE. Couldn't be happier with the choice i've made.

There will always be positions open in the Medical field. Especially in Radiology/MRI and the similar.
The woman I am staying w/ in Thailand has a degree in Radiology and is a teaching instructor as an assistant professor in the field as well. She did a year internship at UNC Chapel Hill. If you have any questions regarding the field, let me know and I'll be happy to ask her for you.

Good luck w/ whatever you choose. The job market is ridiculously sad right now, I'd be happy to just find an average paying job in St. Louis sometime soon :banghead:

There will always be positions open in the Medical field. Especially in Radiology/MRI and the similar.
The woman I am staying w/ in Thailand has a degree in Radiology and is a teaching instructor as an assistant professor in the field as well. She did a year internship at UNC Chapel Hill. If you have any questions regarding the field, let me know and I'll be happy to ask her for you.

Good luck w/ whatever you choose. The job market is ridiculously sad right now, I'd be happy to just find an average paying job in St. Louis sometime soon :banghead:

That's one reason I'm so hesistant to leave my job now it pays so well and I've done well at it. I'm an industrial radiographer. I already know the theory just not the anatomy and such.

Did she get her degree here or in another country? One question I do have is, does every method have another level of education say mri, radiology, and such?
Posted via Mobile Device

Good going. I'm thinking ill be a ton happier if I quit traveling.

That's one thing I've considered. Going back to welding and try school with it. Plenty of night shify work. Even wharehouse work like I did in high school would be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

If ya end up back in Binghamton( god forbid:laugh:) you can come work in the wharehouse with me. Its great work, really it is:banghead:

:laugh:

That's one reason I'm so hesistant to leave my job now it pays so well and I've done well at it. I'm an industrial radiographer. I already know the theory just not the anatomy and such.

Did she get her degree here or in another country? One question I do have is, does every method have another level of education say mri, radiology, and such?Posted via Mobile Device

She says that they are pretty much grouped together. MRI, CT, & Ultrasound all fall under Radiology. And that learing the anatomy was one of the hardest parts for her in med school. :laugh:

Did she get her degree here or in another country? One question I do have is, does every method have another level of education say mri, radiology, and such?
Posted via Mobile Device

visit this website

www.arrt.org

once graduated from an arrt accedited school u are eligible for the x ray registry. once passed u can earn 20 to 28 bucks per hour here in the okc metro. and u can cross train into ct, mri, but not so much ultra sound or nuclear medicine. If u do crosstrain in ct or mr you can send money and an application to the arrt (signed by your supervisor) to take the registry for that modality. pass it and make more money and like most fields you get more money with more expierience

i do x ray and ct at 3 different hospitals in the okc metro. if i can help out let me know
good luck
michael

Mattstang...before you jump ship in this economy...talk to people who actually work in the industries you are interested in...If OHP...catch these guys on a break and sit down and chat with them about the realities plus and minus of the job...if hospital work ask what are the chances of getting a job in the field once trained...and even more importantly...how difficult is it to get into a teaching program for radiology tech and how many precourses are needed before you can even apply...in short...do your homework. For example Humana corp announced today that they were laying off thousands of people...Stanford University in Palo Alto, Ca..several months ago laid off over 400 nurses. I work in the hospital arena and there is alot of turmoil, severe cutbacks, and the hospitals are doing things to cut costs that are unheard in the industry...One thing I can say about working for the state of Oklahoma...is if you put the time in with them you will have paid medical and retirement when you get your 20+ in with them...hard to get that in the hospitals anymore...Plan carefully and check out the facts with people who really know the industries...not trying to be a damp blanket...I encourage you to do what works for you and your family...but being unemployed is no skate...2hip

Mattstang...before you jump ship in this economy...talk to people who actually work in the industries you are interested in...If OHP...catch these guys on a break and sit down and chat with them about the realities plus and minus of the job

No need to wait for break time, just drive real fast though OK and you'll get a prompt and personal meeting much quicker. :laugh:

But seriously, law enforcement is one of the most secure jobs in the country. And if it's a dream....well, I say go for it.

Mattstang...before you jump ship in this economy...talk to people who actually work in the industries you are interested in...If OHP...catch these guys on a break and sit down and chat with them about the realities plus and minus of the job...if hospital work ask what are the chances of getting a job in the field once trained...and even more importantly...how difficult is it to get into a teaching program for radiology tech and how many precourses are needed before you can even apply...in short...do your homework. For example Humana corp announced today that they were laying off thousands of people...Stanford University in Palo Alto, Ca..several months ago laid off over 400 nurses. I work in the hospital arena and there is alot of turmoil, severe cutbacks, and the hospitals are doing things to cut costs that are unheard in the industry...One thing I can say about working for the state of Oklahoma...is if you put the time in with them you will have paid medical and retirement when you get your 20+ in with them...hard to get that in the hospitals anymore...Plan carefully and check out the facts with people who really know the industries...not trying to be a damp blanket...I encourage you to do what works for you and your family...but being unemployed is no skate...2hip

For sure man. I know a few local leos I used to run with. I know one trooper. Gonna talk witht them next time I go home. My mom manages an er so she can get me in touch with some of the radiography people and such.

Trust me I know its not fun being unemployed. Not to gloat or whatever but I've made a name for myself with my current company and done well for them. We wouldn't be parting on bad terms by any means. They like me and I like them. Just gets old never being home. Need a break sometimes. In 08 I was home less than a month. 09 about three months. 10 is looking to be like 08. In 07 I was home for two months and requested the one month because I needed to be home to buy a house.

Worse possible case I can draw unemployment till I'm offered equal pay. Which ill never make what I do now back home but that's not what its all about either.

Thanks for the input bro. I appreciate the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back