chain maintenance update...

Thats interestting for sure. I have about 7500 on my chain...I've wiped it down once with wd-40. Lube it well every couple of thousand miles maybe, and ride hard. No clutch wheelies, just alot of rolling on the power. My chain looks like new and will go at least another 7500 miles easily. I think one of the main differences is I never ride in the rain or mud. My chain never really builds up any dirt to speak of, thats why the seldom wipe downs. And I've noticed a good lube will stay on a chain alot longer than you think. After several thousand miles I can still rub lube off on my finger. And the chains still quiet :thumbsup: I had a friend that constantly lubed his chains, and he went through them twice as fast as me, plus they stretched like nobodies business. And they were always so wet from lube they collected grit like a bum collecting cans :laugh: He went to lubing way less often and gets comparable life to mine now. I should probably lube and clean more, but I also think you can over-do it :laugh:

When I put my last (current) chain on, I decided to start using a silicon spray lube and just spray it down after every ride or so. Out here, we have a lot of blowing dirt, dust and sand and when I was using that chain wax, the chain would collect a lot of grit which had to be cleaned off along with the wax residue and it was just nasty. Still only got 11,000 miles out of the chain.

The other thing I tried to do was just not keep the chain so blasted tight. If you adjust it while sitting on it, you get a better tension. Still didn't help.

dambit.

Oh, well.

--Wag--

You need to measure the distance between the links. The service manual for Gen I busa's says the limit is 319.4 mm or 12.57 inches between 21 pins on the chain. Obviously if it is an aftermarket chain the service limit would be different.

Thats one way. If it's not met that limit and it is clean and the o-rings are intact I would say there is nothing wrong with it.

When there's no more adjustment. When you adjust every week or so. It's definately time for chain and sprockets :laugh:

:laugh: i never realized this was a huge issue other than some lube or wax holy crap i must have been in the dark no no ive just been going to d*m fast to notice

oh heck it does 2 yrs ago i got on I26 hit 150mph :whistle:got to my buddies house a few miles down the road got off the bike and heard a whistle coming from the rear and my tire got a hole in it!

It only takes a few minutes to clean and lube.??? That's one nasty neglected chain.:poke: Have a little more pride in your bike! It's a BUSA!:bowdown:

When I put my last (current) chain on, I decided to start using a silicon spray lube and just spray it down after every ride or so. Out here, we have a lot of blowing dirt, dust and sand and when I was using that chain wax, the chain would collect a lot of grit which had to be cleaned off along with the wax residue and it was just nasty. Still only got 11,000 miles out of the chain.

The other thing I tried to do was just not keep the chain so blasted tight. If you adjust it while sitting on it, you get a better tension. Still didn't help.

dambit.

Oh, well.

--Wag--
LOL. What helped me alot you're already doing, I'm using a teflon dry wax lubricant. It leaves a dry but very slippery residue behind. Nothing ever seems to stick to it, so not much cleaning needed, but it stays on forever :laugh: And it doesn't seem to promote chain stretch as bad as the wetter stuff. Plus the chain stays quiet forever as well :thumbsup: Its called Dupont Multi-purpose Teflon dry wax lubricant. I get it at Lowes hardware :beerchug:
I suspect part of your prob is you being a throttle junky too :laugh:

I'm gonna start using motor oil to lube. Just a little tiny bit. I do believe that the rings do need to be kept wet and the links need to be free of rust, etc.

I tell ya, I've tried everything under the sun which has ever been recommended, including easing off on the throttle, ergo, smoother throttle control.

One thing I've been less disciplined on is cleaning often enough. I'm thinking I need to just clean it once a week, no matter what.

Ergh.

--Wag--

I'm gonna start using motor oil to lube. Just a little tiny bit. I do believe that the rings do need to be kept wet and the links need to be free of rust, etc.

I tell ya, I've tried everything under the sun which has ever been recommended, including easing off on the throttle, ergo, smoother throttle control.

One thing I've been less disciplined on is cleaning often enough. I'm thinking I need to just clean it once a week, no matter what.

Ergh.

--Wag--

Try 80W90 gear lube or such.
It is O-Ring friendly and does not flick off as easy.

Damn good idea. I always have some around here from when I do the rear diff on the Camaro. Might as well use it.

--Wag--

Back