Chain is loose then tight

frisbee

GODSPEED RACING
Donating Member
Registered
My chain is stretched to the max . I have a new chain and sprockets but I can't put them on until I get my new extended swingarm . Anyway today I was cleaning my chain and I noticed that it was 1" of play then when I turned the tire it would loosen to about 3" of play . The sprockets are still in good shape , tires on straight , I did take the rim off then cleaned and remounted it . Everything seemed okay but the chain still goes from loose to tight when the tire is spun. I did notice that the rubber bushings in the cush drive had some wear , could this do it ? I've never ran into this problem before . pleaase help me because i'm stumped. The bike is my daily driver . Thanks!!!!

It sounds like your chain is stretched severely in one area. You will need to do the measurement method in the manual to find out for sure. Prolly just need to replace it.

You do have a manual right? If not you can download it in general under the pinned topic called permenant shop manual hosting.

Thanks , thats kind of what I was thinking . I sure hope my swingarm comes soon so I can change the chain . Can't wait to ride the new sprockets too !

Chain is shot. Be carefull a broken chain could damage your casings and or clutch rod.
sad.gif

One of your sprockets is worn bad, probly the rear one. That causes the tight then loose chain problem.

You sure your front sprocket is ok.  Sounds like you are missing some teeth in the fromnt to have that much of high and low spots in the chain.??

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080862556 -->

Yea , I got everything but the new swingarm so far . The swingarms should be here in two weeks then I can look at everything and i'll post whats up . I think that its the chain but , I can't see the front sprocket , the rear is okay 1 tooth is chipped and the wheel is straight . Thanks eveeryone !

its a 20 minute job to take gear lever & cover off to check the front sprocket, would suggest that its worth the time b4 you even go anywhere on it. Chains coming off can cause lots of expensive damage & you can even replace the front sprocket early if necessary,,

If your front sprocket is wearing out, would it cause a sudden jerking/slip while rolling hard on the throttle in 2nd gear? Mine is doing that now. I've replaced my clutch, and also tightened the chain.
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
???

rock.gif

rock.gif

For the time being adjust the chain to the tight spot and take it easy till your swingarm gets in.

I know it is more expensive, but the chain and sprockets should be replaced together. Wear on one will cause the other to wear faster.

I had a similar experience with my old gsxr 11. It turned out that the rear sprocket in the chainset I bought was not the right pitch (teeth spacing) for the chain and front sprocket...Have you replaced a front/rear sprocket/chain recently..The noise mine made was a weird rubbing noise appearing once every rear wheel revolution...

Still didn't get my swingarm yet so I just got a cheap chain and changed everthing

Back