chain cutting

rocktober

Registered
how easy is it to cut the chain, and whats the best tool to make the job easy, got any pic.'s........also whats the best chain to buy, i'am strching my arm 6 in., can't keep the wheel down with a 43 tooth sprocket....thanks in advance

any of the better name chain breakers will work fine.
My set is from EK (I think) or maybe RK.... Team promotion has one too...

hell, just go on parts unlimited and you'll probably turn up a bunch of them..

Use a break. It pushes the rivet out of the link and doesn't damage you or the bike. Very simple, very quick. Someone close might let you barrow theirs. That's what I did. I've seen them for around $50. You'll need it to put the chain back together right as well.
wink.gif

You actually need the chain tool to INSTALL the new chain's masterlink. DON'T USE THE CLIP Type link. I've lost clips before. Use ONLY rivet type master links. You can grind the head of the old rivets off with a dremel and pop the link.

I used my buddies Snap ON chain tool. Worked really well, and won't crush the new link.

I've had good luck with RK chains.

(rocktober @ Aug. 28 2007,13:20) so do i have to grind to push the pin out,  and if so what holds the pin in , when i install it back togather
You’re going to need to buy a chain tool kit. It comes with the chain breaker (which pushes the old rivets out) and the rivet set. The new chain comes with rivets on the master link and that’s what holds the chain together, just don’t over tighten the tool when installing the new rivet.

(Gunnybusa @ Aug. 28 2007,15:26)
(rocktober @ Aug. 28 2007,13:20) so do i have to grind to push the pin out, and if so what holds the pin in , when i install it back togather
You’re going to need to buy a chain tool kit. It comes with the chain breaker (which pushes the old rivets out) and the rivet set. The new chain comes with rivets on the master link and that’s what holds the chain together, just don’t over tighten the tool when installing the new rivet.
What Gunny said...

Get yourself a chain tool that is designed to press push the rivets out and properly mushroom them over...

I have the Motion Pro Jumbo Chain Tool and it works great! Several of the local guys have come over to my house to have me install a new chain for them

Motion Pro Linky

72.jpg

with any chain tool, grind the rivet heads off smooth before you try to push the rivets through. will make the job much easier and save your tool. I use my dremel to grind the heads off the rivets and use a pro-motion jumbo chain tool for the rest.....makes the repair a snap.

Back