Changing Rear Sprocket need some help.

It seems that everyone wants to go up on the rear sprocket.

The Busa has enough power for me and I don't wheelie it so my question is do they make a 38 or 39 rear sprocket?
Might be going on some longer rides and looking to increase MPG.

I had dreams of 200 in the standing mile six years ago and went down 2 for a calculated top speed of 207 M.P.H. Didn't work out, just made the bike sluggish.

As far as fuel mileage; the Gen I had a sweet spot at 4K R.P.M.s Don't think you'll be able to improve your mileage much if any over stock. You might even end up reducing it one to two M.P.G. Just some things for you to ponder.

yes they do. :thumbs:
:leseratte: high speed land racers use smaller rear sprockets to increase top speed.
I ran that sprocket until it was time for a new set and figured out the guys running 200 plus had 200 ( 400 - 500 ) plus RWHP :laugh:

How much top end will I loss with +2 or +3 on my gen 1?

I made an excel sheet long ago that calculates MPH for different gearing setups delivered torque for shift point determination etc.... Ill re-upload it..

OK well last year I had no problems with tire slippage at all didn't do it once. This winter I put in new plugs and clutch. The 2 times I have had it out I have slippage from 50-110mph. My tire still has half life and I waited until I knew the tire was warm to try it. I would like to try out more teeth but if its just going to slip and not hook there's no point. I also weigh 150lbs all geared up so maybe I dont have enough weight? Possibly the road wasn't warm enough since both times it was only 60 out. Thanks for the input :thumbup:

150 pounds... man i think my gear weights more than you weight with your gear!!!

Yeah sounds like combination of being a lightweight and road conditions.... hard to say for sure... However, riding position will determine how that weight gets to the tire as well... might have someone take a look at riding position as well... but its entirely possible your overpowering the tire for the weight you can get on the tire..

Also, what type of tire are you running... not all compounds are created equally at all

Attachments

• gearingcalculator.xlsx
    79.7 KB · Views: 217
I made an excel sheet long ago that calculates MPH for different gearing setups delivered torque for shift point determination etc.... Ill re-upload it..

150 pounds... man i think my gear weights more than you weight with your gear!!!

Yeah sounds like combination of being a lightweight and road conditions.... hard to say for sure... However, riding position will determine how that weight gets to the tire as well... might have someone take a look at riding position as well... but its entirely possible your overpowering the tire for the weight you can get on the tire..

Also, what type of tire are you running... not all compounds are created equally at all

Thank You for the Gearing calculator :thumbsup:

I am running Dunlop Q2s. I love these tires so far. Thanks alot for the help man.

I'm running the Q2's as well...

My impressions have been entirely positive...even at their midlife they seem to perform spectacularly...

However, i do feel they are a bit touchier when it comes to air pressures than the average tire... they seem to run a fine balance between how quickly they come up to temperature and feeling a bit to soft through a corner...

i still love the tire, and likely will buy another set unless something bigger badder and better comes out....

I have to say, even with the turbo setup and a slight stretch, i can hook up reasonably... i can still blaze the tire off at will, but under controlled riding its not a problem at all...

Then again, my gearing isn't exactly aggressive so it helps as does my 250 lbs in gear...

I love them so far I do alot of highway but I like having the piece of mind of a stickier tire. So far I have 3700 miles on mine. I think I'm going to try the 55 next time. What air pressure do you run yours at?

I love them so far I do alot of highway but I like having the piece of mind of a stickier tire. So far I have 3700 miles on mine. I think I'm going to try the 55 next time. What air pressure do you run yours at?

Highly dependent... With the turbo i pay a lot more attention to the pressures than i ever used to...

However, generally ill run them at 40 psi for highway riding and trips... 42 if im carrying any real cargo/passengers/etc

Otherwise a lot of times 38 psi feels good when i am feeling frisky and the ambient temps are warm enough to get the road warm too.... 36 just didn't feel good to me at all...

i think there is a lot of personal preference, suspension, and weight involved though... so whats good for me, may not be comfy for you at all or vice versa

Back