Ceramic bearings

The only advantage of a ceramic bearing is that it has up to 10 times (depending on manufacturer and spec) the lifetime compared to a conventional bearing.

Ceramic is a trade name, there are no actual real ceramics in the bearing. The inner and outer races are either made from Martensitic grade 4 stainless steel or steel which is harder than conventional bearings.

The balls can be either Silicon Nitride (Si3N4), Zirconia Oxide (ZrO2), Silicon Carbide (SiC), or Alumina Oxide (Al203). While the latter is the most widely used, for a turbo, you want Silicon Nitride and for a wheel bearing, I would probably select Silicon Carbide if it is a competitive racing bicycle, ( the ones you pedal )

For a Busa, I would probably use Silicon Nitride, but personally I would not do that until the OEM bearings are kaput and it just means that will probably be the last time I ever replace wheel bearings.

The marketing on those bearing boxes are designed to catch all those folks who know nothing about ceramic bearings.

Yes sir, I Have done my homework.
No bearing expert by far, but I get it.

Woolich used him because he sells more bin files than any other rep in the country or even world. If I didn’t like Moore I would say so. I do like him but don’t look at him as a Pro Tuner. His tuner is BJ.

The YouTooner comment was a joke that I stole from the channel “Real Good at Doin’ Stuff”. It’s a ‘shop talk’ joke that I bet he would laugh at if someone said it to him in person, especially if they said it like Pete in the below video. :)

I’m no better than anyone and that also means I’m no worse. I believe anyone on this forum could learn to tune if they have the right teacher.

Video I took the joke from.

I agree with that :beerchug:

I agree with that :beerchug:
But you’re right and it did come across as a bit disrespectful. My bad for sure. Had we been in person it would have come across better or how I intended it. I’m here to be friends with you and others here.

Can I add it also baffles me that people don’t take his cue of body position on the start line. This is what the fastest in the world does so why people sit with their feet forward makes no sense to me. The fastest guy puts his feet behind him and tip toes to the line. I’ll do the same.

546F04CB-F947-45DD-9C03-D8CB4124EB4F.png

But you’re right and it did come across as a bit disrespectful. My bad for sure. Had we been in person it would have come across better or how I intended it. I’m here to be friends with you and others here.

Can I add it also baffles me that people don’t take his cue of body position on the start line. This is what the fastest in the world does so why people sit with their feet forward makes no sense to me. The fastest guy puts his feet behind him and tip toes to the line. I’ll do the same.

View attachment 1659919

I'm the same way man, and I meant no disrespect either.
I totally get it too.
That's the reason I add, lol, lmao, and emojis when they work, to so many of my posts, because text is so easy to pick up wrong sometimes.
:beerchug:

Not nearly as smart as anyone in this convo but I’ll add that while ceramic bearings are used a lot in racing applications… I’ve never heard of them overheating or melting.. the one experience I had with ceramics wasn’t good and I’d never run them on the street.
CM$ is one of the most upfront and honest guys I’ve ever met in the business (I’ve the pleasure and good fortune to know two people like this) and while he says they’re good to go … I still won’t run them on the street but not because I can do the math on them or know some chemical makeup but because I’ve had a bad experience… to each their own I guess. I think six has mentioned this..
I do like to hear the math behind the magic tho so please… carry on!

:lol: now me the german :lol:

for me the whole thing is a d i ck extension
that you can brag about loosely based on the motto - ugh I have it and you don't .

nobody wants to know what all this costs afterwards

for me, who moves his busa (attention: irony) very slowly around the narrow bends/corners/curves, this discussion about ceramic bearings is a pure, sheere waste of time.

1. a good ball bearing with two sealing lips in the rim easily lasts 50,000 km and then i simply install a new one, which may cost around 25 euros each.
2. specially in the engine - nowhere else are the ball bearings lubricated better than there, provided you always have good, fresh oil in them.

I have the wheel and transmission bearings now(pictures later today).
He ordered a new oem clutch kit as well.
The clutch in it is fine, but he wanted that with new tires and the bearings.
He brought me a new Q3+ rear a couple weeks ago.
He went to get a new Q3+ front on saturday, the dealer said they were out of stock, and it would be $200.
Or, how about a new Q4 front now?
For $135 otd...Yes please!! I love the new owners of this dealership! lol

I finished another bike up last night too(a weight lifted, lol), so I'm getting closer to putting these parts on.

I have the wheel and transmission bearings now(pictures later today).
He ordered a new oem clutch kit as well.
The clutch in it is fine, but he wanted that with new tires and the bearings.
He brought me a new Q3+ rear a couple weeks ago.
He went to get a new Q3+ front on saturday, the dealer said they were out of stock, and it would be $200.
Or, how about a new Q4 front now?
For $135 otd...Yes please!! I love the new owners of this dealership! lol

I finished another bike up last night too(a weight lifted, lol), so I'm getting closer to putting these parts on.
When I was at the Suzuki dealership with my son at Christmas, I was surprised at all the "kits" they had for Suzukis.....a couple years ago I bought the tune up kit which was less expensive than 4 spark plugs.

View attachment 1659919

Depends on the class and the bike, bars, no bars, and other stuff. In eliminations with stuff set up on kill or some Sliders, some turbo stuff, u have your feet in front in case the clutch starts to creep u can hold it back before it pulls you thru the lights, bcuz from experience your toes won’t stop u lol

He makes great videos too, being mic’d up makes it way more entertaining

Yeah, I’m bored with all the tech talk now…
How about this, ya think this one’s real?
Photoshopped much lmao??

View attachment 1660241
Carry on folks, don’t mind me, I’m just sitting in the corner distracted lol.
This is the crap I’ve gotta put up with while trying to concentrate on the physics of wheel bearings!

Well, here's the thing about makeup...let alone photoshop
lmao

Screenshot_20230109-160711_Gallery.jpg

Yeah, I’m bored with all the tech talk now…
How about this, ya think this one’s real?
Photoshopped much lmao??

View attachment 1660241
Carry on folks, don’t mind me, I’m just sitting in the corner distracted lol.
This is the crap I’ve gotta put up with while trying to concentrate on the physics of wheel bearings!

And
Varvara is Barbara with a Chinese accent...there's alot going on here...
lol

Good to see the more humerus side of this thread.

The latest buzz on ceramic bearings is the pro-cyclists, as they can only put out around 2/3rds of a horse power at best and look at every possible way to save losses. These folks use a ceramic bearing specially developed in Italy for professional cycling, the seals are external to the bearing so there is no friction loss in the bearing itself and the lubrication is a W5 viscosity oil of only a couple of drops, so there is no drag with conventional grease.

Their savings tested are around 5W, that is approximately the output of an older Iphone charger.

And they have calculated that it gives them an advantage of around 2.3 minutes over 100 miles.

For those interested, below is a link from a more honest group of folks who have looked at this properly and note no mention of friction. Personally, I have forgotten how many ceramics I have used in Automotive, light industrial and heavy industrial Engineering.

Back