Hayabusa Owners Group

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cats have 9 lives......

Devil Dog

Donating Member
Registered
busavas spiked this thread on another post......

how many times have you looked death in the face? Give a brief story of the incident.....

Here's mine:
1. swimming in a creek when I was about 12 y/o...I got tired on my way over to a huge rock that stuck out of the water...it had fungis all over, I could not find anywhere to grab, kept slipping. My best friend reached in and grabbed me. I was a gonner.
2. swimming at a water fall in Puerto Rico.....not at the bottom of the fall. Current was way stronger than I thought....my Dad grabbed me about 10 ft from a 100 ft drop into a shallow rocky bottom.
3. On my first bike, 92 CBR 600 F2....During a top speed run, doing about 160 mph....my friend on a GSXR 1100 decided to u-turn directly in my path......I missed him by inches.

those are mine....your turn?

1 - 20 pound rock on head age 7
2 - Car accident age 9
3 - 7 - US Navy: Flight Deck Helo LSE, A-7 Plane Captain, P-3 Hydraulics
8 - 13 - US NAvy: Drunk driving, not knowing how I got home...
14 - 1rst bike accident (CB900F- totaled)
15 - 2nd bike accident (ST1100 - duck taped back together)

I am lucky to be here!!!

2000 hit a tree on my Busa at a high rate of speed and broke my leg in 4 places. Busa rebuilt.
2000 oversped the front tire on my Busa(wrong tire installed) it expanded and rubbed half way through my fender and shook the bars. I slowed down and made it to work in one piece. Tire and fender replaced
2004 hit a car stalled on the highway (on my Busa) while going 65 mph. thrown across two lanes but didn't get run over. still managed to break my leg in 2 places. Busa totaled.
sad.gif

1 - 20 pound rock on head age 7
2 - Car accident age 9
3 - 7 - US Navy: Flight Deck Helo LSE, A-7 Plane Captain, P-3 Hydraulics
8 - 13 - US NAvy: Drunk driving, not knowing how I got home...
14 - 1rst bike accident (CB900F- totaled)
15 - 2nd bike accident (ST1100 - duck taped back together)

I am lucky to be here!!!
Howd u manage the 20 lbs rock accident?

LOL

I grew up in Upstate NY, south of Rochester. I lived on one of the Finger Lakes and the creek beds there cut into the slate and expose lots of fossils, I was climbing up to one of my best friend and mine's fav. fossil spot. We always scrambled up the loose slate until we could grab this hanging root to pull ourselves up the last couple of feet... Yup, you see it coming. I grab the root and the next thing I know I am on my backside sliding down to the creek bad completely dazed. Chris looks at me and starts freaking out and telling me we need to go. I want to turn around and climb back up... The I feel it, that wet, warm, syrupy feeling covering my head. Blood has covered my head, I put my hand up to feel and it comes away covered. Lucky Chris' Mom is a Nurse and home. She rinses me off with the hose to see what is cut, puts a pressure bandage on it and calls my Mom, who comes and takes me to the emergency room. It was a couple of days later and Chris shows me the rock that bounced off my head. It was at least as big as my melon head...

Hmmm just a couple I can think of:

When I was about 16 or 17 was car surfing on friends car doing aobut 35mph. It was an old '66 mustang. When he hit his breaks the car shook enough to cause me to loose my balance ended up flipping over the car and landing on my shoulder and elbow. Walked the 1/4 mile back to my house mom almost passed out from all the spots bleeding ;-)

When first got my CBR1000 was driving through Okla going down 60 doing about 110mph. Going around some of the faster sweepers on the road new i was getting close to the egde of the road and instead of leaning more I looked over. Next thing I know I am running on the gravel next to the road looking down the drop off and trees. Got it straighten back up and back on road. Friend behind me probably pooped his pants. I would have if not for the seat sucked up there.

Those some of my worse ones probably.

1. I was in the back seat on my moms Chevy Malibu (I think it was a 1973). We had to stop on the freeway for another wreck, and the car was rear-ended by another car doing 60MPH.
2. Had my appendix out when I was 17. I found out the hard way I'm allergic to penicillin. I spent part of the night in ICM on a ventilator.
3. When wife found out I totalled the Busa.
4. When the wife found out I bought the Vette.
5. Probably a few more. Still in progress...

haha.. good thread...um I'm not sure if his site has enough memory for all my incidents....

A quick couple though.

Slipped in bathtunb once broke a piece of bone off my jaw on ledge. When I was 4-5 I used to sit in bathtub with very little water in it and slide the soap back and forth through the water and up the sides and all over. Well stood up triied to get out and bam...hurt like hell

Same year running through my dads shop and top of forehead met tablesaw corner. Still gotta scar and tendle to touch.

umm, fell on a briggs and straton vertical shafted motor, sparkplug went into my arm...coolong fins cut my up....Still gotta BIG scar.

Stuck a knife though my hand once...only throgh the fatty part between thumb and index...no scar anymore

Numerous dirtbike and fourwheeler incidents....some involving alcohol....who am kidding...actually anytime I got on the damn things it involved alcohol.

recent busa wreck about a year ago, broke ankle in two places. And all this above and that was the first time I ever had surgery, stitches or a broken bone. I've suspected broken bones before but didn't think it was necessary to go to the doc.

umm before i came to Iraq had an incident that nvolved large amounts of adult beverages and a canoe trip with my unit that is here with me now...A couple of my "buddies" decided to leave me on the river my myself in a canoe by myself, well with a cooler of course, but hit some shallow water with current, well bottomed out stood up and lost my balance and tipped the canoe and down the river I went. About 20 feet later here I am hung up on some trees upside down and under water.....Don't talk to those buddies much and almost whipped an ass. I was very upset to say the least.

Well that is me in a nutshell....What can I say Chicks dig Scars
biggrin.gif

I was in one of the first Bradley's to be used as a TOC in Irag... My Lt told me to go from the TOC to the CO's tank during our one big firefight because we couldn't raise him on the radio... I had to run from the back of the TOC aprox. 150 ft to the CO's Abrams... Tracers were zipping thruogh the gap the entire time... Me being an idiot hardly ever wore my Kevlar or Flak jacket... Ran that gap in under a second got to the other side and started laughing uncontrollably... Gave the CO the sitrep and without thinking ran right back... CO was pissed that I was out there with no gear... Should have at least gotten an ARCOM.

Climbing Shale cliffs at the train tracks when I was a kid... Fell around fourty straight ft down and caught my leg between the fork in a tree branch... It saved my live but almost tore my leg off.

We used to climb up flag poles and tie a rope (200 ft of rope) to the top... I held onto the middle of the rope and five to six guys would pull the sh9t out of the rope... Which would in turn fling you or in this case me way way way up into the air... On the third try my grip gave out and I shot up into the air and just like Icarius came crashing back down...

Good times were had by all... I have more but all they do is confirm my wife's suspscions that I am an idiot.
laugh.gif

8 yo- Was in a car my Mom was driving in a snow storm in Canada that went off bridge, rolled down embankment hitting topside on very large boulder and into creek. The roof was collapsed to top of seats. Mom, two sisters and a sisters friend and I went unscathed.

19yo-Was driving an improperly loaded 6 wheeler refrig truck and lost brakes just before exit ramp. Choices were going straight and risking endo or attempting to make sweeping ramp. I chose second option, load shifted mid way and put me up on 3 wheels. Somehow I managed to drive out of it.

20yo- On a Honda magna with buddy on his gs1100l. Just raced and smoked a mazda rx-7 down a two lane highway unknown speed, speedo maxxed at 85. I was in rt. tire track of left lane, buddy was in left portion of right lane. We rode together a lot and could just about read each others minds. Came off tanks as we approached a car in right lane. By know the Mazda was long gone for about a mile. I knew he was coming over to my lane to pass car and started to move to left tire track to give him room. I saw his eyes through his shield get to be the size of  
wow.gif
and he went far right to avoid car by using shoulder of road. I then noticed something off to my left and saw the Mazda bumper about 4-6 inches off my left peg. It was sideways in median taking out reflector poles. My buddy said the guy came up to withing a foot of my rear tire before spinning off of road at about 100mph.
After dust settled we went back to discuss situation with the driver of Mazda, who by the way was drunk.
mad.gif
I spent one of his 9 lives here too. Sold bike within 2 hours of that. Everytime I rode back then I was on edge of using a life.  

Been in some crazy situatons at work that could've turned worse but that's a given. None really stand out as extrordinary.

Main paracute failed to deploy properly during a static line jump when I was in the Army over in Germany. Whew.....saved by the reserve cute, a few seconds was the difference between death and just a badly sprained ankle.

1   same as corroded 8 yrs old 15-20 rock top of head (note to self don't piss off your brother) my skull is still dipped down in center.
2    21yrs old missed A high speed car accident by .001 seconds 120 mph Mustang GT I was in the back no seatbelt a truck came around corner prolly running 75mph  cars still in our actual driving lane we were passing thats prolly the scaredest I've  ever been.
3   22 yrs old gun pulled on me at a party got lucky he turned his head I bolted.
4    28 stopped breathing while I was watching TV started blacking out, in my brain I told myself to breath, took one breath went back out, did it again breath, finally started breathing normal.  needless to say didn't go sleep that night.
5   Recently within 3 mths  going to visit some friends in denver city Tx  on Charity(busa) running about 70-75 2 lane road car coming dim my light something catches my eye I duck hit my helmet on tank hear the hit actually heard first, heard and felt second Big Azz owl pegged him right above light went over hit me on top of helmet.  If i wouldn't have ducked ?? right in the face ?? would the shield have held up ?? would I have been able to stay on bike ?  would I have went over into car ?  who Knows!!!  Friends didn't believe me until they saw wing feathers between the Mirror rubber and front cowl

<!--EDIT|onerabidshark
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132324929 -->

1989 and 19 years old and Managing a Pizza delivery shop. We get really busy and the owner asks me to take a delivery. 4 Large pizzas to a not so great area. I get there and there is a kid(I'll leave it at that) sitting on the front stoop. It is a 6 family and the tag says 1 rear. I head down six steps from the sidewalk and have this horrible (I just F-D up) feeling. I hear the kid come down behind me and before I even get turned around I see the blade (hunting knife about 12 inches long) coming around my head. I stopped dead and he flashed the blade in front of my eyes and pulled it to my throat and held it tight under my chin. I still have the 4 pizzas in my right hand. He asks where my money is, I had $40 in my left front pocket and about $400 in my right. I said left front, he took the cash and the food and said "you better give me enough time to get up the stairs before you turn around". I waited, he screwed. He could have taken my wallet, my keys, my car and my life... This was before everybody had cellphones so I had to drive to a pay phone and call the Police and the shop. The owner never even asked If I was ok, he just kept yelling about the cash and pizza. A$$hole... It took about half an hour to really set in that this clown could have dropped me in about half a second. They caught him a couple of weeks later, he robbed 34 delivery people in the city. 17 year old Heroin addict. He was ordering the food to about 10 different places he had scoped out as "perfect" for robbery.

This changed my life and to this day still has an effect on how I look at things. I could have died over $40 lousy bucks. I had friends say " you should have..., I would have..." until it happens to you and you realize how easy it is to be killed...

I at this point still believe that nothing is worth dying for except your family... I'm not afraid to fight, but if I'm gonna get killed while doing it there has to be a reason.

I'll do all kinds of other stupid things, Motorcycles, Bunji Jumping, Diving/Snorkling, Jet boat racing, Demo Derbies...

3 months ago dumbass turned in front of me to get in his driveway,hits me head on with his pickup, as i hit i jumped went over truck landed in front yard,busa totaled. 80 stitches in left foot, right tibia broke, sprained both wrist numerous black and blue sore spots,still consider myself lucky.just picked up brand new 2005 busa

my 9 were gone decades ago. livin on borrowed time since 85. to many instances to list or remember

Top Bottom