Cars reliability 2023

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
What happened to German Engineering? They were once the kings of quality blended with fine engineering, now Mercedes is 5th from the bottom, BMW just above average and VW/Audi close to the bottom.

Surprised to see Honda below average.

Ford sits where it has always belonged, close to the bottom and the GM products seems to have improved nicely.

For as long as I can remember, Land Rover gives the nicest ride with the most amount of problems.

Cars.gif

What happened to German Engineering? They were once the kings of quality blended with fine engineering, now Mercedes is 5th from the bottom, BMW just above average and VW/Audi close to the bottom.

Surprised to see Honda below average.

Ford sits where it has always belonged, close to the bottom and the GM products seems to have improved nicely.

For as long as I can remember, Land Rover gives the nicest ride with the most amount of problems.

View attachment 1678951
In my humble opinion if you have a solid customer base and they have money - a lot - you eventually will build lower overall reliability (via SW usually, so no real mechanical issue just a code) to see them coming back and open their purse. If it is via the insurance? Even better. That is why Teslas will be written off in North America if a seagull poop on them. It propels the business. Reliable cars which needs only annual service?! What da heck? You are ruining my business... In my 2020 Volvo there were no brake pad change indicator designed at all. I had 2 x front 2 x rear brake pad & brake disc change together within 80.000 miles. In my Hyundai I haven't changed brake pad during 6 years and 80.000 miles ownership.

In Europe 30 years old Mercedes is still a good and reliable car, even over half million miles. New cars? Nope, some manufacturer even admit they engineered the engine to take only 80.000 miles beating. In my world 50.000 miles is a good A/T tyre, not a car...

In Europe 30 years old Mercedes is still a good and reliable car, even over half million miles. New cars? Nope, some manufacturer even admit they engineered the engine to take only 80.000 miles beating. In my world 50.000 miles is a good A/T tyre, not a car...
Sad what is happening to Mercedes. Back in the day, nothing unusual to see a W124 diesel taxi with more than a million miles on the ODO.

Sad what is happening to Mercedes. Back in the day, nothing unusual to see a W124 diesel taxi with more than a million miles on the ODO.

Hi. My 2006 Honda Cicic has 525Xxx on still runs very good. I would take it on a 3,000 + mile trip.

JD Power is 'rigged', for lack of a better term.
GM for one goes to Great Lengths with many extra QC checks, and the entire build process of the vehicles for JD Power tests is much more involved, compared to the regular assembly line runs.
Once they're done, it's back to normal, and that's how and why so much junk makes it through.
In what world is a Buick more dependable than a Toyota?
lol

Last edited:
GM for one goes to Great Lengths with many extra QC checks, and the entire build process of the vehicles for JD Power tests is much more involved, compared to the regular assembly line runs.
Once they're done, it's back to normal, and that's how and why so much junk makes it through.
lol
I questioned this as well......

Chevrolet is higher than GMC (which is the exact same company) and higher than Toyota, Subaru and Honda?

Three of the companies that have the longest running vehicles on the planet......

lol
I looked at that graph with a bit of skepticism as well.

What I find interesting is all it takes is one product from the brand to drag down the reliability score.....

Note the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid which CR says drags down the brand...

Also, looks like some get dragged down by minor issues, such as navigation systems, software updates etc.

Would be nice to know which brands can go past 150,000 miles without any major issues.

Dealer support also has a lot to do with reliability. Not what I enjoy, but my personal vehicle no longer sees a dealer, after they screwed up with really stupid stuff three times in a row.

Dealer support also has a lot to do with reliability. Not what I enjoy, but my personal vehicle no longer sees a dealer, after they screwed up with really stupid stuff three times in a row.
These car's are so advanced the dealerships are years behind in training and diagnostics. It would be nice if they had the theory of operation to use when trouble shooting.

If that's true, they must build a boatload of those special builds, like practically every build. We had many customers at our dealership alone involved in J.D. Power surveys as well as others. The VIN is monitored, I would guess to make sure the customer actually owns the vehicle.

Back