Carbon Fiber Wheels

shenoyp

Hayabusa Master Jedi
Donating Member
Registered
Hi People,

Any of you installed Carbon Fiber wheels on the Hayabusa. I checked out some wheels at http://www.blackstonetek.com

They look pretty good.
cool.gif

So here is my list of questions -

a) How good/bad are carbon fiber wheels on the busa?
b) What size wheels are mounted on the front and back of the busa?
c) How is the handling with carbon fiber wheels?
d) Do any of you have the black stone wheels on the busa?
e) Any other barnd of wheels that I should consider.

Thanks for the info in advance
bowdown.gif

If I had the cash I would'nt mind getting a set, But there way out of my league. Polished is alot cheaper and stands out.

Got-Busa link should help answer your questions.

Pat

I was handed one a few years ago and was shocked at the wieght, like a feather... But was told they really arent for the street as they would not hold up under daily stresses. Maybe they make em even better by now.

Magnesium / Titanium wheels were suggested to me and they were less $ Just a thought.

I have read a few threads on this board from busa owners with carbon fiber wheels that drive their bikes on the street.

They said it was the best mod they ever did! CF will hold up on the street as long as you are careful and don't bring the bike crashin down from 12 o'clock wheelies and stay clear of the big potholes.

But from what I've heard is that if you can afford it....do it!

They are outrageously pricey but they are also exquisite in build quality and function, and they are DOT street approved! I installed them to reduce rotating, unsprung mass as part of my bike's overall weight reduction and handling improvement program. The BST carbon rims + Braking wave rotors accounted for about a 17 pound loss as part of a total weight loss of 52 pounds. The handling improvement was dramatic and transformed the bike from relatively slugglish handling to instant leaning...meaning "right now" and you better be paying attention. I basically had to learn to ride the Busa all over again simply because it became so responsive to my directional input. I've made the adjustment and LOVE the way the bike rides and handles.

There are a couple of members here who poo-poo the net effects of carbon rims but I'm unequivocally certain that is because they have not ridden a lightweight, strong-running Busa with them. Whether carbon rims are worth the price of admission depends on your perspective. For me, it is the most impressive mod I have ever made to any bike during several decades of biking. I will keep this motorcycle FOREVER.

As a side benefit, you accelerate noticeably quicker for any given amount of rear wheel power. This was graphically demonstrated to me recently when comparing my dyno computer results with another similiar Busa (same dyno/computer) that made a few more HP than mine. Because of the greatly reduced rotating wheel mass, mine spun the dyno drum from a set starting RPM in 4th gear to the rev limiter .75 seconds faster than the other stock-wheeled Busa that had more power...physics at work for the demanding Busa rider. Obviously, it stops quicker too with less inertia for the brakes to overcome.

If you want a distinctly better Busa that works extremely well in the real world (and can afford them), get them!!!  
wink.gif

All i can say is WOW---Lost 52 lbs-- and looking awsome...  Thanks for the pic's[/QUOTE]
Thanks and you're welcome!

Where you findin' BST's for 3K[/QUOTE]
The guy is gwizz509 at suzukihayabusa.org. He is a LEO in Myrtle Beach and affiliated with a bike shop there. He does a lot of mail order deals and treated me 100% right. I just checked one of his threads located here >> and it looks like he has raised the price to $3,200 shipped. That's still probably the best buy on a set of BST's in the USA.

All i can say is WOW---Lost 52 lbs-- and looking awsome...  Thanks for the pic's
Thanks and you're welcome!

Where you findin' BST's for 3K[/QUOTE]
The guy is gwizz509 at suzukihayabusa.org. He is a LEO in Myrtle Beach and affiliated with a bike shop there. He does a lot of mail order deals and treated me 100% right. I just checked one of his threads located here >> and it looks like he has raised the price to $3,200 shipped. That's still probably the best buy on a set of BST's in the USA.[/QUOTE]
Thanks

This is all you need to know: http://www.blackstonetek.com/products.php

They are bad ass, I just wish I had the money to waiste on them right now.  

Ask Grabntwist....I think he has a set on his SCREAMER!
wink.gif
Try this

Carbon Fiber Rims, Titanium Fitings and Hubs as well as Ceramic Bearings.
HMF(FULL SYSTEM) 4 X 2 Dual High Mount System(Ceramic Coated inside and out with (Hyper Extreme), (cans only inside)) with Carbon Fiber BigBird Cans.
Ohlins 46PRXLS.
Ohlins Forks(1.5Kilo Springs).
Ohlins Damper.
Brembo Brakes(from Levers to Calipers all replaced).
Wave Rotors/or EBC Rotores(not sure yet).
HH Copper, Ceramic Sinther Racing Pads.
Carbon Fiber Brake Levers.
Stainless Steel Brake Lines.
Carbon Fiber Vented Fender.
Carbon Fiber Hugger w/chain guard.
Carbon Fiber Inners.
Carbon Fiber/Titanium/Lite Alloy( IN BLACK ) FULLY ADJUSTABLE REARSETS.
Carbon Fiber or Buell Rear Passanger Foot pegs.
BCM Race Filter.
Air Damn Seals.
Muzzy Aluminum Fan.
Pair Blocks.
ATRE.
Yoshimura EMS, with Hub and accessories.
Zero Gravity Double Bubble(DARK SMOKE).
Magic Racing Carbon Fiber Mirrors.
SpeedHealer.
ACUMEN DG8.
H7 and 9005 HiD Set in 5000K.
Tobin Seats.
Added Extra's, Scorpion Alarm System( SR-i500SE - adds PerimSensor/Batt backup AND anti-hijack With Factory connector ), Radar Detector( 8500 X50 ) and Laser Jammer( Blinder M-20 ), GPS( 2650 ), LCD/Cams, and much more. When fully done will post pics here and their.

Wondering how much weight savings this set up will bring me.

<!--EDIT|HayaBusa Knight
Reason for Edit: None given...|1108750917 -->

Well I have set aside the budget for those wheels... checked it out on couple of site. Most sites dont list shipping to India, but I gotta see if I can work around that.

The Carbon wheels save 52lbs
wow.gif
... oh my gosh, thats a huge saving on the weight. Any of you guys come across some site, that sells it online... please do let me know
bowdown.gif

The Carbon wheels save 52lbs [/QUOTE]
<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>No!</span> The BST wheels save about 15 pounds. If you have light weight brakes/rotors, add their savings to the 15 pounds saved. The 52 pounds mentioned is the total amount of weight removed from my personal Busa using the BST wheels, a BDE exhaust, aluminum sub-frame, and other mods.

You can get the information you want here: Glenn
His web site is here: Fastlane (although I don't think they show BST wheels)
Glenn has a personal connection with the BST American importer. That is how he gets and sells the wheels so far below retail.

<!--EDIT|WarBaby
Reason for Edit: "Error"|1108458469 -->

Back