Car "Safety"

Big O

Physicist Genii
Donating Member
Registered
Have you seen the latest car ads touting the newest "safety" features?
There's a guy driving his BMW fast on a rainslicked mountain road, but he's ok because his brakes sense when they're wet and apply a little pressure to keep the discs dry so when he comes up on a washed out section of the road he can stop in time.
No, don't slow down! You can drive as fast as you want! The car will stop in time. Honest!

The other ones are from Volvo. A lady's papers fall off the center console onto the floor as she's coming up behind stopped traffic and she reaches down to get them. But she's ok because the warning signal and the flashing red light on the windshield will tell her that she's about to raise her insurance rates. No! You don't have to pay attention while you're driving! The CAR will tell you you're about to send someone to the emergency room.

The one that gets me the most is the Volvo ad that says the idiot in the car is about to kill the motorcyclist in the lane next to him but the blind spot warning indicator will tell him that he's about to have his side view mirror removed by an irate motorcyclist. No! Don't turn your head and look over your shoulder like you're supposed to! The CAR will tell you there's someone there.

The audio signals should sound like this:
Hey! Stupid! You're about to hit someone from behind!
and Hey! Dumbass! Look over your shoulder!

And another car maker is designing cars that are "pedestrian" friendly...get this...so if you hit someone in the crosswalk, you won't kill them. You'll knock them off their feet and up on to the hood of your CAR!

Drivers don't know how to DRIVE anymore. They have antilock brakes and air bags and sensors to save them.
So they drive too fast, follow too close, and change lanes with no turn signals. But they'll be ok, the CAR will save them.

Oh and if you notice, in the Volvo ad with the motorcycle, they show the speedo of the motorcycle, and it reads 0 mph.

Those ads drive me NUTS! Like the insurance ad that identifies the "bad drivers" out there and totally ignores cell phone usage behind the wheel...

Autoweek has been doing articles and editorials about this stuff... No one wants to accept responsibility anymore... It makes me so mad I could scream.

+10000
And they will be saying..... 'Sorry officer, my car didn`t warned me with electronic mambo-jumbo so I can not held responsible for killing that motorcyclist. it is Volvo fault, let`s sue them"

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Apr. 11 2007,16:flamethrowing:) +10000    
And they will be saying..... 'Sorry officer, my car didn`t warned me with electronic mambo-jumbo so I can not held responsible for killing that motorcyclist. it is Volvo fault, let`s sue them"
I guarantee it will happen sometime in the future...

I liked those VW ads, I respected VW for putting that ad campaign out there...

(Big O @ Apr. 11 2007,16:15) Oh and if you notice, in the Volvo ad with the motorcycle, they show the speedo of the motorcycle, and it reads 0 mph.
Interesting observation. I'll need to look more closely next time.

I've been trying to ignore that particular insulting commercial lately.

"We believe when you create a machine to do the work of a man, you take something away from the man." - Star Trek: Insurrection

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Apr. 11 2007,15:36) they not showing that VW commercial where occupants survived after severe crash as graphic and disturbing.  
This one they should show at least every 2 hours.

http://www.linienmc.dk/video/crashmc/howclose.mpg
I show this video to every one of my students that i teach... If i can get a few of them to listen, i will feel as if i've accomplished something...

That Volvo ad implies that it's OK to not pay attention any more. They're designing cars so that you can yack on your cellphone and watch the in-car DVD player instead of the road.

I agree, the technology should call you names when you mess up, and an electronic hand should appear and slap you upside your head so that your driving will improve, not get worse.

Believe it or not we just had discussed this topic with my GF.

Conclusion:
1. The fact that one drive Volvo already makes him a lame driver.
2. Distance warning indicator could be very useful. Someone with no sense of safety could learn how to keep a distance instead of reading bumper stickers.
3. Idiot on motorcycle should be charged with careless driving because Volvo directional indicator was blinking for good 5 seconds before motorcycle passed him on the right.

Back