Captains out of time

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
OK so I've been doing a little research as to why the board has been running so slowly and it seems that we have over 1500 custom avatars that have uploaded. There were more like 2000 and I deleted a bunch that were just plain wrong so if your avatar is gone you know why. Any way of the 1500 that we have there are over 700 that are waaaaaay to large. I mean we have 2160 x 1440 so tell me thats not eating away at the bandwidth. I have some other pressing things I need to work on with the site and was wondering if there is anyone out there thats wants to batch resize all of the avatars for me to 64 x 64.

If you know photoshop and have a few minutes to spare let me know and I will set up an FTP account for you to download. You will need to be on broadband also.

Let me know..

Cap

I am uploading them to a public FTP server now. BigDawg I will send you a pm to their location.

Send them my way too if you want.
wink.gif

I'm off work from now until next wednesday. Gimme access to 'em. I'm sure to have some down time between now and then and I don't mind helpin' out if I can.
wink.gif

Delete them all.

Have everyone upload the avatar they want.

Make it so you can only upload an avatar that is 64 x 64 bits long.

Make it so you can only upload one avatar. If you want to change your avatar you have to delete your old one from the library.

You could do the same with the sig lines too. Make some limit to their file size or something.

Just my thoughts. This might not be feasible, but if it is, it is much easier than fixing the old ones.

Delete them all.

Have everyone upload the avatar they want.

Make it so you can only upload an avatar that is 64 x 64 bits long.

Make it so you can only upload one avatar. If you want to change your avatar you have to delete your old one from the library.

You could do the same with the sig lines too. Make some limit to their file size or something.

Just my thoughts. This might not be feasible, but if it is, it is much easier than fixing the old ones.
That's kinda what I had in mind, too. Would be a lot easier and quicker. Also, I wonder how many of the huge'uns actually even belong to active members?

I'd say dump 'em all and start over with a file size limit, Captain. I'd be willing to help anyone who needed a pic turned into a "legal" avatar to reload... That way we'd prolly save a considerable amount of space by not even havin' the ones that folks don't use/care about anymore anyway...

What say you? Either way I'll do whatever I can to help ya out Captain...

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103777408 -->

Cap, I'll help if I can. I'm not on a broadband connection though, but I'll see what I can do to help out.

I got about 30 resized last night, it's amazing that despite the size request of 64 x 64 pixels some of those pics were 8.5 x 10 size. I'm in agreement with limiting the size & number of avatars. As for the sigs the ones I did were saved a very low resolution, but I deleted mine to decrease the loading time.

Also Cap, if more than one person is helping, are we possibly resizing the same avatars?

I'll check again when I get home to get some more done.

BD

They're all done. All duplicates deleted. All similars reviewed and deleted. All static GIFs converted to JPGs. All animated GIFs resized and fully optimized. Everything uploaded. Maximum JPG size: 10 KB.

966 files are left taking a whopping 3.41 MB, down from 90-something-MB when I first downloaded.

I'm feeling all statistic-y right now.
laugh.gif
thumbs-up.gif

BTW, you might look for an automatic script to do optimizations for uploads. I had written scripts for other sites, but they're all in ASP, using the ASP-JPEG and ASP-Upload modules, running on Windows servers. There is probably something already written that you can hack out there for CGI or PHP.
rock.gif

Also If you want there a couple of progs out there that can monitor the server behavior and let you know which PHP strings you need to smooth out and which server behaviors are just robbin cycles

They're all done. All duplicates deleted. All similars reviewed and deleted. All static GIFs converted to JPGs. All animated GIFs resized and fully optimized. Everything uploaded. Maximum JPG size: 10 KB.

966 files are left taking a whopping 3.41 MB, down from 90-something-MB when I first downloaded.

I'm feeling all statistic-y right now.
laugh.gif
thumbs-up.gif
Well Hell... That didn't take long... I'm on the Other coast right now, been running with family...

Nice work Narc...
thumbs-up.gif

Now, Any chance we can get our avatar physical size cranked up to 128X128 with a maximum file size of like 20K or so? Allow us to have a decent avatar? Just not one that's all fat and improperly sized?

thumbs-up.gif

Folks should be reminded though to go back and resize re-do their own Avatar's because it looks like many of the "Optimized" Av's got pretty well mutilated in the process.

Need to let folks know how to properly size their avatar, NOT just "Shrink" an image to fit.

Hell even KS's Bug Looks sorta jaggedy... No Need for that...

Back