cant get driver seat off

busa1321

Registered
I have a question regarding my seat coming off. it is a 2005 hayabusa and the two bolts that hold the main seat down one broke off inside the groovings and now i cannot get it out or take off my seat. the bolts are extremely light (maybe aluminum or titanium?) i was wondering what i should do to get the rest of the bolt out? get a smaller drill bit and drill it out but that would still leave the pieces in the grooves. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Drill the broken pieces out until you can get the seat off, then finish removing the old bolts.

If you can get one of the bolts out, see if you can use a long screwdriver to put pressure on the backside of the stripped bolt, while trying to back it out.

Oh and :welcome: aboard! :hello:

If they are broken off inside the threads they were tightened by a gorilla.

Drill and extract the bolts with an extractor kit. Be very careful not to hit the threads. They are aluminum, and can be damaged severely and easily. Chances are that putting enough torque to break the bolts has already damaged the threads slightly. Be sure to use compressed air to blow the debris out of the threads before extracting. Carefully backing the bolts out with and extractor bit can help correct the threads. Go slowly and work the extractor gently back and forth if it becomes stuck while backing it out. Put a few drops of a thin oil, like tapping oil, inside the threads before you back the bolts out. Replace the bolts with the factory replacements.

If all the above suggestions don't work, drill it out slightly smaller than the hole size, then chase it with a tap - it should push the remaining material out and leave your threads in perfect condition. I had a body bolt snap off - used the same process and it worked like a charm!

Back