Can this car tire be plugged/fixed?

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
I got flat tire today :banghead: Ive had the car about a month and its been a fight the whole time. Today, I was goin up to an Autocross event with some friends, had a 02 Camaro SS and a Vette C6 leading the way, we got up onto the highway, I was last and I found the rock or whatever got my tire. Wasnt sure what happened at first, but then the car started pulling to the right, so a got along side my friend and he said to pull over.
Anyway, can this be plugged? Ill probly go to the tire shops tomorrow and see what they say, but i wanna know now!! I really dont wanna replace em, seems thier about $900 for all 4. :banghead: What say you Org.

SANY1381.jpg

SANY1383.jpg

SANY1380.jpg

SANY1379.jpg

Doesn't look very good. Right in the edge there, I'd be concerned.

It prolly can be fixed since it isnt exactly on the sidewall. It may not be fixable as you are nearing the edge of the steel belt I am no tire expert so I could be completely wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was in fact to close and the plug/patch doesn't completely seal the hole or the tire shop tells you it cant be fixed.

Are those Nittos btw? If they are how you like them. I have been running the SSS for a while and decided they are good for cornering and daily driving and that is about it. Any semblance of real HP and they just die.

Well, it seems these cars dont like to have just one tire replaced, the symetrical all wheel drive system gets angry. So, I think ill throw the flat tire in the river, and make swings from the other 3:laugh:
Ill be gettin some snow/all season tires now and some good summer tires and wheels in the spring.
I hope the money tree I planted sprouts soon :whistle:

Probably, but will have to be dismounted and fixed from the inside. If the whole on the inside is as big as the rip then probably not fixable.

Crap shoot that close to the edge. You may not be able to find anyone to patch it. All the liability BS and law suit happy society has people running scared. Probably better to replace it.

It prolly can be fixed since it isnt exactly on the sidewall. It may not be fixable as you are nearing the edge of the steel belt I am no tire expert so I could be completely wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was in fact to close and the plug/patch doesn't completely seal the hole or the tire shop tells you it cant be fixed.

Are those Nittos btw? If they are how you like them. I have been running the SSS for a while and decided they are good for cornering and daily driving and that is about it. Any semblance of real HP and they just die.

there Potenza's, OEM for the car. Stick really well, or im just not driving fast enough:laugh:

it can be fixed but as said before it should be removed and a plug/patch thing should be glued on the inside. after that she will be good as new.

from the photos, that doesnt look like a normal puncture. that looks more like a rip or a tear in the tread. in addition, it's also very close to the sidewall. the reason people dont like repairing punctures so close to the sidewall is because the tire flexes on corners(especially on the track) the patch/plug can let air leak into the sidewall and create a bubble in your tire. its one thing if you had to plug it to get yourself home, but if you plan on competing with this car, i wouldn't plan on this tire holding up for very long. just dont expect it to come through for you if you're depending on it.

Like the others said, take it somewhere and see. If not, you could probably pick up a cheap set ob NASIOC to hold you over. I got a winter set in VA for $100, this will be my second winter on them :)

look at kumho tires, i ran a set of asx's on my mustang when the wife drove it daily, cheap all season and i never had a problem out of them.

If you replace them, be sure to check out Tireland in Nichols (699-TIRE). You're less than half an hour away. Usually about 25% - 50% cheaper than everywhere else.

For example: 275/40-ZR17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS for $159 mounted and balanced...$250-$350 at other stores.

You ready for a turbo set up for your sti. I got a 20g setup external wastegate n up pipe only has 2k miles I will give you a smoking deal!!!

buy one new tire....do burn outs with only that tire on the ground until its the same circumference as the used one...then your on your way..:laugh:

Back