Can I do this??

ColdBusa

Take this Jerry, you silly little rodent
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys.

I am just kind of curious who has done their own turbo install on their bikes. I am thinkin of doing this because there are no shops in Alberta that will do an install. After the install I can truck my bike down to a tuner in the states.

I think that i might be able to do the install with a little help over the phone as long as I have good instructions and such.

That being said...is there any reputable tuners near Alberta Canada?? Or maybe an installer??

I don't think the install should be that bad... If you got the tools and the time im sure you could bolt it up.. I've done probly 20 installs on honda's (cars) and plan on doing mine when it comes in... think it will be a snap without needing a lift... I wont fire mine up till it hits the rollers..
beerchug.gif

Its very easy,the hardest part is removing ALL the body work and the "other" exhaust,take your time and dont be disappointed in what ALL the manufacturers dont tell you about "fitting" the body work back on.

Funny

I just had this conversation with Sageronin last week..

I tend to concur with DJ's recomendation

Have a Turbo system proffesionaly installed.

You might pay someone $1500.00 extra dollars to do it for you.. but it is cheaper than blowing an engine over and over..

I have heard of a lot of people blowing turbos and their engines, and usually there was the same common factor

Either they installed the Turbo themselves, or it was installed by someone other than a reputable and qualified installer.

I would love to have a Turbo. and if I ever get into a position to get one I plan on trailering the bike somewhere to have it done....

Good luck

Keep the boost turned way down until you can get it dyno'd. Don't fool yourself into thinking that since it runs just fine at 3 lbs it should be ok at 7. Also. make absolutely sure that there are no boost leaks. If there is a leak, even with the boost turned WAY down, the turbo will continue to spool up to reach boost and will eventually gernade.

if you install it, there are pretty good instructions around. type ghetto install turbo into google and there is a pretty good writeup/instructions (PDF).

if you BUILD, then research the crap out of it. knowledge is good, and there is a lot of info out there. p.s., read install instructions and build stories of others...helps a lot!! (built mine from scratch).

for tuning, i plan on getting a data logger and doing it myself. the logger is about the same in cost as the tuning itself...but then again, if it go BOOM, its on me, not them. so a little risky, but worth the education IMHO.

I have had my velocity stage 1 setup for about a month now 600-700 miles did install myself had no problems map sent with kit was very close made a couple of small adjustments on PC instructions with kit are OK Barry was super with any advice needed as were the whole gang at velocity as for the bike i have had bikes for 40+ years and this thing hauls Ass would recomend velocity to anyone that at least average mech skills

Okay, just one more question. Probably a dumb one, but......On a stock busa the water that comes into the air intake is able to drain. What about a turbo unit? What if I had gotten caught in the rain.?? Where will the moisture drain to?

If I went with the intercooled route this would hasten the problem, due to moisture condensation if it is muggy out or if it is raining.

Like I said....dumb question, but oh well.

(ColdBusa @ Nov. 15 2006,13:18) Okay, just one more question. Probably a dumb one, but......On a stock busa the water that comes into the air intake is able to drain. What about a turbo unit? What if I had gotten caught in the rain.?? Where will the moisture drain to?

If I went with the intercooled route this would hasten the problem, due to moisture condensation if it is muggy out or if it is raining.

Like I said....dumb question, but oh well.
Hmmmm....,depending on whether your filter is inside the bodywork or sticks out will determine what you should do.Water is NOT combustable,so.....I would pull over if you have the filter sticking out of the bodywork.Bad things happen when you ingest water into an engine.

I am looking at a turbo kit that will be inside the fairing. Just wondering if anybody has ever had any problems with this. Takin a road trip might suck if you get caught inthe rain and had to stop just cause of that...makes me wonder if I should do it if I do a bunch of touring.

There fairly good in the rain,think its a combination of not using much throttle and air taking the easiest path thru the filter which would be the dryest sides .
I have ridden in difficult to see thru rain for nearly an hour without problem.Just wouldn't ride thru a deep puddle if its likely to immerse the filter.

lol...i could do that too...but I haven't seen them around too much. I figured turbo because people are more familiar with them, and there have been many satisfied customers. I still haven't hear much about the superchargers. But they will probably get more popular as time goes on I guess.

I would say that you should get the best turbo installer that you can find. I live in Florida and wish I would have gone to Ohio to get Dennis to install my kit. The shop I went to had installed turbos but were not good at it. I had a lot of problems then a blown head gasket. It could have been a lot worse. It is nice to have the power but I spent 11000 total and was without a bike for at least 3 months total. I wish I would have bought a GSXR100 and kept the Busa for touring

(8Daytona8 @ Nov. 23 2006,05:43) Anyone know of these folk or got any comments on if these are worth the time?
Turbo linky
b5_1.JPG
I have puchased my kit from Andrew at forcedairsystems technology and he seems to be very knowledgeable and some of his components seem to make sense as far as building a turbo kit, I made the purchase around november first and he said the build time was around four weeks, haven't received the kit yet, but should be here soon, and will say that he has kept in contact and seems to be available for help and tech questions. I'm doing the install myself also. so when i get the kit I'll give more info.
race.gif

Living in seattle, I ride in the rain a lot. All of my turbo'd bikes have the filter up front.

The only time I've ever had an issue at all, was when I hit a really big puddle of water in the road, and it completely submerged the air filter, and thereby caused the turbo and engine to inhale a lot of solid water. The plugs water fouled and the motor died. Had to crank it at full throttle for 5 minutes before it cleared its throat enough to start, and then it blew out the biggest white cloud of steam out the exhaust......was impressive.

Anyway, the point being, don't go puddle hopping and you'll be fine. A light mist of water on the filter does absolutely nothing. Its solid water (submerging or near to it) that causes problems

stay away from forced air systems tech. good luck on even getting your kit. if you do even more luck to you that its complete. a couple of random people have been happy with his stuff but the majority of people that order from him get screwed. do a search on here an sh.org. go with rcc or ghetto. known proven kits.

(ColdBusa @ Nov. 13 2006,03:24) Hey guys.  

I am just kind of curious who has done their own turbo install on their bikes.  I am thinkin of doing this because there are no shops in Alberta that will do an install.  After the install I can truck my bike down to a tuner in the states.

I think that i might be able to do the install with a little help over the phone as long as I have good instructions and such.

That being said...is there any reputable tuners near Alberta Canada??  Or maybe an installer??
I'm in Calgary and I'm going to be installing a RCC kit this winter..... I've been doing turbo cars for 10 years and from what I've seen it's REALLY simple for a direct bolt in kit compared to fabricating everything from scratch like I'm used to

the map that comes with the kit will actually make your bike run a bit rich because of our altitude

drop me a mail and feel free to come down and check out mine while the install is being done or after

just remember that the little details make it work all the better... don't rush it.

being that said... if you need it done or want help we can talk about it.

Back