Cam Chain Tensioner Fix??

OB_ducmanic

Registered
Bob,
Are you saying the whole cam chain failure thing is a internet hoax? Initially
i thought the same thing. After reaing enouugh about it, i started to believe it. I
have never heard of the failure from any other source though. One of the reasons i bought my Bus' was All my favoutite moto hacks said they couldnt break them at Catalunya. If John Ulrich cant jump a cam chain, Im not worthy.
ducmanic
Los Angeles

Im thinking about changing my automatic cam chain tensioner to a manual one.
Have any of you guys done this and can any one see any reason not to do it. Does any
one have an explanation for the rash of cam chain failures. This easy low cost mod
might avoid a time consuming Warranty repair. I don't want some Suzuki shop
mechanic working on my Bus'. What do you think??? If Frank Adams is reading this,
what did you do on the big block motor??? If Jeff is reading this, what do you run on
your GSXR 750 race bikes? Thanks. Lets solve this once and for all.
ducmanic
Los Angeles

Easy big guy
I did not know we identified a problem yet on the 1300r?
The GSXR750/600 had this problem because they used a watch type spring set-up to appease those you didn't like to do maintenance.
They have a fix for those bikes.
I have not heard any feed back from those who posted a failure, and I am suspicious.
Bob

I don't know if its a hoax? But, I am getting suspicious. Maybe its the same type of people who want to post info, about the next wave of bikes?
I just think its strange that no one responded or updated the posts about their failures. You know, what dealer, did they fix it, etc. Suzuki denies it, maybe not a great indicator agreed. The mechanics I have spoke with have not heard of any bulletins from Suzuki or their reps. I really don't think Suzuki would want to hide a problem that could place them in a liability situation. They came clean on the GSXR's
Bob

BOB has a point when i had my cush drive showing what i thought were cracks i posted that along with the results of the findings by suzuki. There was also a lot of other feedback too. I have not seen that here on this particular problem.

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 07 August 1999).]

I talked to my suzuki dealer today. They havent heard of this type of problem either. They said they will call suzuki reps and find out the true skinny.........

Yeah and what happened to all the serial numbers of the problem bikes ? I have only
seen 1 or 2. just my thoughts

I can assure you my cam chain tentioner was not a hoax!Mine bent all the intake valves and two exhaust . It has a watch spring type tentioner Identical to the 750 & 600's.The tang on the spring is what broke. My dealer has a big bag of 600&750 chain tentioners and we went thru them and the tangs were broke off of them too.Susuki also told me that their was only one other report of a busa but I know of at least 3.Regional rep is suppose to call me this week . I'll let you know what he says. My serial # is js1gw71a1x2101148.I would like to have the serial #'s of the rest that had the same problem so I can confront the rep with them.Thanks

SIGY--no offense meant.
I posted yesterday that Suzuki acknowledged the problem-- said only one though and thEy haven't found anything to start a recall. Almost implied abuse by rider.
Also acknowledged my hesitation or twitch that happens occasionally, and the infamous cut-out. Said they are working on it.
Bob
Sorry for the implication, but we did not hear anything for A WHILE

Attention: "ZIGY"

You're not alone. Davey Wyatt of Hanover, PA at approximately 10,200 mile in the first week of July had his Cam Chain fail. Apparently, like yours, it was the little spring. Dave posts on the "hayabusa.onelist" His bike's serial nbr:
JS1GW71A2X2101093. His e-mail address:
davey@cvn.net

Hope this helps!

RD

Look at those serial numbers, they seem pretty close to me they are not off by hundreds.

Did you guys with the cam chain problems have any engine cut out problems prior. Frank Adams made a post about the cutout problem could concievably be related to a sloppy cam chain. my serial # 929

KawAbuser--Suzuki didn't say a hell of alot. Just that they know of a problem they believe at this point could be heat related. They have a busa that they are looking at closely.
(above is for the cut-out)
Brad in Customer Service only acknowledged it after alot of persuading by me.
They also know of this site and it sounds like like they are very leary of the info. that comes from it.
Bob
If you have aproblem inform your dealer and call Suzuki!

WELL MY CAM CHAIN HASN'T BROKEN YET, BUT IT HAS BEEN NOISY FROM ABOUT 4500 MILES S/N2101118!!!
GEE, THIS FALLS JUST WITHIN THE OTHER TWO LISTED. THE DEALER I HAD BEEN GOING TO SAID NOT TO WORRY, I'LL SHOW THEM THE OTHER TWO SN'S AND TELL THEM NOT TO WORRY. THANKS
TED

Bob, what do you mean by "leary?" Suzuki doesnt trust the info from this site or they dont like this info being passed around, or they have simply have not heard of this problem?

Kawabuser, I didn't have printouts just some other serial #'s to check out. Allen wasn't to happy that i might be trusting the information on this site, but service was going to talk to susuki about mine as well as yours (if your who i think you are). haven't heard back from the yet, have you?

Vegas--Basically, they think were all full of poop. Micron, DynoJet, etc. say the same thing. "You can't believe info. from the net".
Its a generalization. Some of the info. can be rough. But, I believe the vast majority of the posts, especially problem posts.
Bob

Ted, the service manager should have a fuel pressure gage by wednesday, so they are going to call as soon as they can to get the bike in to check it. Suzuki told them to start by checking fuel pressure. I have known Alan for over twenty years and I have faith and trust in his ability to motivate Suzuki to rectify any problem. And I would not buy a bike from anyone else as he is very concerned with customer satisfaction.

Back