California model

Dan Varner

Registered
I am 6 months away (aprox) from buying a Hayabusa. I live in Cali and am wondering what the difference is from a CA version and the other. Is it important? Is it difficult to purchase in AZ and register in CA. Basicly, What is the best decision?

Dan,
49 state bikes need a min of 7500mi before you can register it in CA. Then there is a $300 fee on top of usual registration fees.

P.S. I will also be buying a GEN II sometime in APR 2010. If you're anywhere near zip 92592, maybe we can hit a dealer for a discount :)

This is one of the best prices I've seen so far: http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2008-SUZUKI-HAYABUSA-96055881

Last edited:
the biggest difference is the tank size if I remember right and maybe vapor canister ? as well as the fact cali has no love for out of state purchases Ba****d state

welcome to the board. Like Kromdom said watch the mileage restrictions.

Dan,
49 state bikes need a min of 7500mi before you can register it in CA. Then there is a $300 fee on top of usual registration fees.

P.S. I will also be buying a GEN II sometime in APR 2010. If you're anywhere near zip 92592, maybe we can hit a dealer for a discount :)

This is one of the best prices I've seen so far: 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa for sale in VAN NUYS, California - CycleTrader.com

I have registered many out of state bikes in Cali and have never encountered this $300 fee you mention although they do seem a bit overly anxious to collect the sales tax though, so much so that they tend to overlook inspection requirements.

The only difference for vehicles sold in CA is emissions - I belive the vapor cansiter is the difference.

Warning: if you buy a bike out of state and try to register it in CA, you will not only have to pay the out of state fee, but also taxes to the State Franchise Tax board if the vehicle is new.

It's not worth it - just buy it in CA.

Oh My Gosh, It is so cool chatting with Guys that have Busas. I sat on two today at the dealer. The pic I saw of a dozen or more parked was incredible. Thank you so much for the info. I hope I get to chat some more through out the years. The gentleman who lives near, I would love to work with you on getting our price down. varnerelectric@yahoo.com

Dan,
Will send you an e-mail shortly. I am in SoCal (Temecula, 92592) and will be looking for a white '09 sometime during the 3rd/4th week of APR 2010.

:welcome: to the oRg. I think I remember that there's a weight difference in the cali bike as well. Hit up Kent-Moto. He just registered one after waiting 6 months.

Aw dang it said California model so I clicked thinking I would see a sun bunny...dang it :)

I am 6 months away (aprox) from buying a Hayabusa. I live in Cali and am wondering what the difference is from a CA version and the other. Is it important? Is it difficult to purchase in AZ and register in CA. Basicly, What is the best decision?

Emissions equipment is the answer to your question, Dan. California has stricter rules.

The big thing is when the 08 came out in AZ I was able to get mine, and my bro went to LA that weekend and told them but they didnt believe him. They said no 08 is avaliabe, stupid cali dealers. But just stick with Cali model trust me u can get a better deal there than here in AZ. Plus in a year or so I will move to Corona :cheerleader: so u can see if there is a diff in power from a AZ model or CA model.:thumbsup:

euroR,
If/when you move to Corona, I am just down the 15 (Temecula). Glad I saw your post, cuz I have been watching bikes in AZ and saw a few good deals. Will probably look for a CA bike first.

Back