Busa's Throttle Response

oZo

Registered
Just how touchy is the throttle on the Busa? More "touchy" than say the throttle on a 250cc two-stroke motocross bike weighing just over 200 lbs.? Yes, I understand there is much more horsepower on the Busa, but those who have ridden two-stroke motorcross understand the almost immediate response you get from a motocross throttle.

Thanks.

It's damned touchy! I guess it's the fuel injection. For normal riding, it's controllable enough, but you can just be clumsy and bump it the wrong way grabbing or releasing it and the RPMs will shoot up. I pulled onto my drive the other day and had the clutch in and took my hand off the throttle to turn the switch off. I dragged my hand across it and it raced way up. If I hadn't had the clutch in, I would have gone right through the garage door.

It's damned touchy! I guess it's the fuel injection. For normal riding, it's controllable enough, but you can just be clumsy and bump it the wrong way grabbing or releasing it and the RPMs will shoot up.  I pulled onto my drive the other day and had the clutch in and took my hand off the throttle to turn the switch off. I dragged my hand across it and it raced way up.  If I hadn't had the clutch in, I would have gone right through the garage door.
Well, if your left hand isn't on the clutch and it's in gear you better be moving and your right hand better be comfortably on the throttle.

It's pretty touchy... I hit a smallish bump the other day and wasn't as focused as I should have been... The bump caused my throttle hand to twicth back and the next thing I know I'm riding a nice little power wheelie down the street. After getting over the suprise I rode the wheelie into second for a little while...
laugh.gif
Gotta pay attention or stuff will happen.

For around town riding I rest the outside of my palm on the bar end & control the throttle with thumb & first 2 fingers. When its time to boogie I grab a handfull.

As long as the slack is outta the throttle cable its nothing unusal.
Is there a modification/adjustment you can or should make to the throttle? The more play in the throttle the less responsive and vice versa...that kind of thing? I guess you don't want so much play that there is lag, huh?

I like mine right where it is, you twist and it goes just be hanging on, I think its probably not as jerky as a 250 2 stroke but its all their and lots more of it smooth and violent all in one if that makes any since, if you're gettin one you'll see what i'm talking about, and you'll love it!

Just how touchy is the throttle on the Busa?  More "touchy" than say the throttle on a 250cc two-stroke motocross bike weighing just over 200 lbs.?  Yes, I understand there is much more horsepower on the Busa, but those who have ridden two-stroke motorcross understand the almost immediate response you get from a motocross throttle.

Thanks.
If your in the powerband and on pavement then no its not even close. My 2 stroke with throw you off in a heartbeat in those condidtions. If you are in the dirt where your spinning the tire vs the busa on the street then its probably close, the dirtbike will come up easier but the busa is transmitting a LOT more force and slick conditions would be real unforgiving at that point. If your not in the powerband then yes its more touchy than a 2 stroke 250.

The Hayabusa is touchy for a streetbike tho especially if your are running with the RPM's over 7K. at 3500-4K (~80mph on the highway) its pretty docile. In other words its gentle unless you are on it. Also crashing on the street and in the dirt are 2 different stories, as well as crashing above vs. below 80mph.

Me too. The bar end has a purpose. The streets around here have lots of bad spots with buckled cracks that will give you a hard time with the throttle.

It is alittle touchy turning from a stop. If i hit a bump in the road it will jerk alittle nothing to bad. I am going to try using the bar end that seems like a great idea.

I just recently purchased a Throttle rocker, and it took a little getting used to, butit definately helps control the throttle.

The Busa has usable torque @ 2500rpm....so torque/engine braking that cause this IMO. The fuel delivery is smooth , the engine just is not made to be lugged around, it wants to go.

there is adj for the slack... you want as much out as possible. Too much and when you go from throttle right off to trying to gently come back on , the bike takes a nasty jerk. sj

there is adj for the slack... you want as much out as possible.  Too much and when you go from throttle right off to trying to gently come back on , the bike takes a nasty jerk. sj
+1

I adjusted my throttle slack to be all but non existent. Makes for smoother stop and go acceleration around town and power is there instantly when you want it on the open road.

Back