Busa Sport/Touring... a Flawless Weekend...

PacerX

Registered
Took a nice weekend trip with the wifey and her new Sportster 1200. In 4 days we drove up to Northern Michigan and putted around, seeing the sights and using Big Rapids as our base camp.

I say "putted", because I really mean "putted"...

See, HD's have a 500 mile break-in period in which you're not supposed to take them over 55mph. I'm a religious follower of maintenance and break-in procedures as described by the engineers at the respective manufacturers as they have the most experience in the area and have worked on more engines than anyone else has ever seen. If the guys in the white lab coats say "break it in THIS way", I do it... irrespective of what some guy on the internet has to say. When he's employed by an OEM manufacturer as a powertrain R&D engineer, I'll pay attention to what he has to say.

Anyhoo... after we passed the 500 mile mark on the HD, we could finally start making some time, although there is something to be said for putting around on the old two lane roads.

Northern Michigan sure is pretty. The only significant issue was the large deer population and having to keep a sharp eye out. I saw four of them through the 4 day, all at the side of the road, and have decided that shooting every damned one of them is a really good idea that should be pursued with the utmost vigor by the largest number of deer hunters practicable carrying the most modern weaponry available.

The Busa carried all the bags and all the gear - a tank bag and saddle bags, all from Nelson Rigg - as the Sportster's bags were not in yet. Packed in 4 days worth of stuff for two people with all the stuff that generally accompanies the female of the species (man... she's got a lot of crap...) without a hitch.

So, apart from the frustration of being passed by 18-wheelers right and left due to our limited top speed, everything went very, very well. The Busa, as stated here many times, is a damned fine sport/touring mount.

Wifey did great. She's a pleasure to ride with.

There was a bit of space left over in the bags, and I've proven that you can carry lots and lots and lots of stuff on a Busa, so our next trip is a long one down to North Carolina, but this time the Busa will be carrying all the stuff above and a tent and air mattress and all the camping gear and the Sportster will have it's bags available (2 saddle bags and a tail bag), and I'll have the tail bag on the Busa.

Pictures to follow when developed.

<!--EDIT|PacerX
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119408158 -->

Sounds like a great time. I am the same way when it comes to the break-in period. I am still breaking in my new '05.

I have been touring on my ST1300, but want to start using the busa.

Would you recommend the Nelson Rigg bags? Can you state which model?

Looking forward to the pictures!

Sounds like a great time.  I am the same way when it comes to the break-in period.  I am still breaking in my new '05.

I have been touring on my ST1300, but want to start using the busa.

Would you recommend the Nelson Rigg bags?  Can you state which model?  

Looking forward to the pictures!
1) Yes, the Nelson Rigg bags work just peachy-keen.

2) I'll try to dig up the model numbers, or you can do what I did and call Nelson Rigg. They'll tell you what to get, which will end up being exactly what I got.

Break that thing in like youre gonna ride it!
wink.gif

I love road trips...haven't really taken any yet! But, they do sound fun...

Pics ready yet?!
tounge.gif

Back