Busa is growing on me

gastoys

Registered
I currently own a 2005 Kawasaki ZZR1200 (Stock w/ 158HP at the crank) and love the bike, but I'm looking for something with more punch! I am really banging my head between the 09 Kawasaki ZX14 and the 09 Suzuki Hayabusa.

I love the larger fairing and windscreen of the Busa along with the instrumentation layout. I like the looks of the Busa from the tank to the front tire, but that rear end is tough to love for me. From what I read the ZX14 and Busa are like two brothers from different dads and are pretty tight in their numbers. The only other thing that bothers me about the Busa is those 1990ish mirrors. If the analog gauges are amber and I could replace the mirrors and remove that HUGE Japanese characters in the front fairings I think I would be sold on the Busa because I'm looking for a bike that will protect me from the wind like my trusty ZZR1200.

The only thing I like about the ZX14 over the Busa is the mirrors, the looks from the rear of the tank to the rear tire and that ZX14's are more rare on the street.

It was never my intention to dis the Busa because I love the bike and I'm just on the fence and wanted to get your perspective.

Thanks for allowing me to rant and I look forward to your post. :)

:welcome: to the board :beerchug:

This is Hayabusa.ORG buy a Busa:thumbsup:

If ya think I have anything good to say about the Kawi ZX13.5...well don't let the door hit ya in the AZZ :rulez:

WELCOME :welcome:
You will love a Hayabusa.
That big sticker is called a KANJI.:bowdown:
You will grow to worship it :bowdown:

Been talked about on the .org o'er and o'er and o'er, probably mostly by whom between the two, have only ridden the Busa.

I can reiterate the points that stuck out to me, but better to search and form own opinion. :) I'm still overly happy with my choice, more convinced after each comparison... and ride.

I do think the Busa is better looking and refined.

If I was forced to complain, I'd ask for brakes that were a little more responsive and felt less dead, though they seem to perform just fine, anyway. The brakes on the R6 I had before felt a little better.

I have a friend in a similar boat as you. I always point out to him there must be a good reason why you see less of BikeX and more of Suzuki on the road. Perhaps we're all just conformist and jumped off the bridge, but I just think if there were a better bike for the money, we'd be riding that and not the bandwagon, not to sound metaphorical.

I think if I can swap out the mirrors, wondering if the ZZR1200 mirrors would work, and remove that huge Kanji thing I would be sold.

Are the analog gauges amber when lit at night, because I really like the amber on my ZZR1200 and my Toyota Tundra.

I guess I am looking for a bike that will be close to my ZZR1200 with out going to sporty, just I need more POWER, better brakes and better in the turns.

Gauge LED's are amber/orange - supposedly used in fighter jets because they are easiest on the eyes. I guess orange was also used as a computer terminal forecolor - and white and green... ???

Lots of good mirrors out there - and block-offs, too! :thumbsup:

Just get a Busa, a nice full exhaust and a X-TRE. Remove some safety decals and reflectors, get a tank cover etc...

It is one of the beginning stages of "Busa" addiction. First, it grows on you then it will bit you in the ass making you think about busa at any waking moment.:laugh:

Taking the Kanji off the side is like taking the name off the bike
Yes I have taken the Suzuki name off my bike but never the Kanji which means Falcon or Hayabusa . The Kanji is part of the identity of the Hayabusa

Taking the Kanji off the side is like taking the name off the bike
Yes I have taken the Suzuki name off my bike but never the Kanji which means Falcon or Hayabusa . The Kanji is part of the identity of the Hayabusa

The Kanji means "Accurate" suggesting Power. Hayabusa is the Japanese name for the peregrine falcon that hunts black birds as it's primary food source.

OP: Welcome to the board. Ride both bike and take the one you like best from the ride. The rest is cosmetic. The rear you won't see when you ride. The Busa will drawl more attention in a crowd of bikes that a ZX-14. Both are insane bikes, so pick your poison carefully.

:thumbsup:

I haven't ridden a 14 so it's impossible for me to say from personal experience. I have run into a couple of people who have wished they bought a Busa instead.

I've ridden my '03 for 50,000+ miles and have NO complaints, if that helps!

--Wag--

I currently own a 2005 Kawasaki ZZR1200 (Stock w/ 158HP at the crank) and love the bike, but I'm looking for something with more punch! I am really banging my head between the 09 Kawasaki ZX14 and the 09 Suzuki Hayabusa.

I love the larger fairing and windscreen of the Busa along with the instrumentation layout. I like the looks of the Busa from the tank to the front tire, but that rear end is tough to love for me. From what I read the ZX14 and Busa are like two brothers from different dads and are pretty tight in their numbers. The only other thing that bothers me about the Busa is those 1990ish mirrors. If the analog gauges are amber and I could replace the mirrors and remove that HUGE Japanese characters in the front fairings I think I would be sold on the Busa because I'm looking for a bike that will protect me from the wind like my trusty ZZR1200.

The only thing I like about the ZX14 over the Busa is the mirrors, the looks from the rear of the tank to the rear tire and that ZX14's are more rare on the street.

It was never my intention to dis the Busa because I love the bike and I'm just on the fence and wanted to get your perspective.

Thanks for allowing me to rant and I look forward to your post. :)
You're gonna get 99% busa votes on this busa forum............and the same for the 14 on a 14 forum. You can figure alot of it out by just spending some time sitting on/balancing both. They have different seating positions that are going to fit different sizes riders differently. The only things you can't tell are smoothness, power, brakes and handling. I prefer my 14 for longer street rides, its more comfy and way smoother, with much better brakes. I like the busa for aggressive canyon riding...tighter suspension and more stable :thumbsup: but hard on the body for longer rides.

Last edited:
I just traded my 2003 ZZR1200 in on a Busa. I don't have any problems with the mirrors. This is the smoothest riding bike I have ever owned. If you go with the Busa I don't think you will be dissapointed. :thumbsup:

get both!!

HPIM2068.jpg

HPIM2069.jpg

HPIM2070.jpg

HPIM2071.jpg

:welcome: to the oRg. Most say it's neck and neck prior to the introduction of the Gen II Busa. Let's just say that it is neck and neck. You can change the mirrors add exhaust and PCIII and still save money and have IMO the best bike in the world in many ways. The decals remove easily. I think the Gen I and II Busas are great on the eyes, and I can't tell you how many comments I get on the Busa. It's rare that I park it in public that I don't find finger prints all over it from admirers :thumbsup:

get both!!

Ok...that just isn't fair. Looks like txbikerdude is the guy to ask. Me personally I love the look of the 'busa over the ZX-14. I can get aftermarket parts to fix minor imperfections like mirrors but overall the 'busa is just considerably sexier than the 14.

Bottom line: It's personal preference along with the obvious and well known fact that the 'busa is better.:laugh: Good luck with your purchase decision.

Back