Busa Fuel Level

busabutter

Registered
Heard on another forum that if you fill your tank up to where you can stick your finger in the tank and it hits fuel that is too much fuel in your tank and that it will leak out.

True or False?

fill it to the top...no issues here...
rock.gif

(busabutter @ Apr. 11 2007,00:21) Heard on another forum that if you fill your tank up to where you can stick your finger in the tank and it hits fuel  that is too much fuel in your tank and that it will leak out.

True or False?
On a hot day fuel can and will expand in the tank...so if you fill your tank all the way to the top
when it's cool outside...then when it heats up, some fuel may leak out the overflow tube. This
will not hurt your bike...might freak someone out that their scoot is leaking fuel though.

Actually I heard its the best thing to do. It helps to keep out condensation which can eventually lead to rust developing in the tank.

Many have had issues with gas leaking out the vent tube and destroying the paint on the lower fairings. It seemed to really effect the '05 models which probably had poor tube routing.

There are warnings in the owners manual about overfilling and even my dealer made it a point to warn me about overfilling it when I bought the bike.

So NO filling it to the top is not a good thing.

(NightCrawler @ Apr. 11 2007,05:30) Actually I heard its the best thing to do. It helps to keep out condensation which can eventually lead to rust developing in the tank.
This is a good thing to do if your going to store your bike for long periods of time.

(Turbo-Torch @ Apr. 11 2007,06:15) Many have had issues with gas leaking out the vent tube and destroying the paint on the lower fairings.  It seemed to really effect the '05 models which probably had poor tube routing.

There are warnings in the owners manual about overfilling and even my dealer made it a point to warn me about overfilling it when I bought the bike.

I have heard of 1 or 2 members that have had this problem...you can re route and or lengthen
the hose to solve this problem.

I make sure to leave just enough room at the top so that I can turn the nozzle and keep from dripping fuel down the tank and ruining the wax job. Other than that, as much as I can get in there.

Don

If you have a stock gas cap you have no worries and if you over fill it goes out the overflow tube. If you have an aftermarket like I do (screw on type) you do have to worry about filling it up to much. Trust me I've learned the hard way. I've had gas leak from the top of the cap when stopping, I've had gas pour out while in a turn, and I saved the best for last I've had my gas cap vibrate off while going down the highway.
SHOCKED.gif
Hope this helps
wow.gif

(BA BUSA @ Apr. 11 2007,06:55)
(Turbo-Torch @ Apr. 11 2007,06:15) Many have had issues with gas leaking out the vent tube and destroying the paint on the lower fairings.  It seemed to really effect the '05 models which probably had poor tube routing.

I have heard of 1 or 2 members that have had this problem...you can re route and or lengthen
the hose to solve this problem.
I recall a number of members having that problem...and people bringing back bubbled up Busas was why the sales manager took the time to pop the cap and show me to never fill past the neck.
Actually it was one of the few occasions where Suzuki honored their warranty for one guy and replaced the fairing...of course others were TSOL when their dealers accused them overfilling the tank. As you mentioned a lengthend hose would have fixed that problem...I'd love to see Suzuki's internal service bulletin memos!

The deal with putting your finger in and touching gas is stupid, you'd probably short yourself 3/4 of a gallon.
You keep it below the fuel neck as mentioned and illustrated on page 28 of the users manual. Amazing how some people can claim FALSE when there is a vent tube coming off the tank for that reason and the owners manual tells you what may happen if you overfill.

I never fill past the neck and still get a strong fume smell if the outdoor temp changes from cold to hot quicky.

If you are worried about damage, make sure your overflow line is clear of your fairing. I fill to the top. Keeps moisture out and keeps rust from forming in tank. Store to the rim too.

cant fill the 07s to the top or it will mess up the charcoal canister and thats not covered under waranty. (dont know if that includes the busa but any of the gsxr's with the new emissions will be that way)

(spkerhed @ Apr. 11 2007,11:37) cant fill the 07s to the top or it will mess up the charcoal canister and thats not covered under waranty. (dont know if that includes the busa but any of the gsxr's with the new emissions will be that way)
that does include the 07 Busa

and as far as the gas expanding in temp changes, you guys just dont ride right. i never have any problems with not having sufficient room in the tank after fill up. that may be the right wrist tho
crazy.gif

(Fate @ Apr. 11 2007,08:08) If you are worried about damage, make sure your overflow line is clear of your fairing. I fill to the top. Keeps moisture out and keeps rust from forming in tank. Store to the rim too.
For winter storage that's fine, I do it with all my bikes.

Won't make a bit of difference during the normal riding season + the level will be down regardless within 10 miles after leaving the gas station.

I agree that if the hoses are routed right it'll be fine but I still don't want fine spray hitting my paint or worse yet people pointing and laughing at my Busa as it dribbles all over the ground like a geriatric Hardley.
smile.gif

Back