Busa Brake upgrade - 04 to 06 R1 Calipers?

corrcullen

Registered
I read somewhere that 04 to 06 R1 front calipers will fit a Gen 1 hayabusa and will also greatly improve braking.
Does anyone know if this is correct?

The R1 calipers are radial, so I see problems from the start. Perhaps the intention was to change the forks and calipers. I'd be curious to know myself. :sly:

only messin with ya, we'll have to persuade gixxers mate to run off two more sets of the 65mm adapters for us and run with the brembo's :thumbsup:

he's followin us, its a conspiracy, you should stick up info of your install here :thumbsup:

Cheers Stig :thumbsup:

:welcome: I stumbled upon this place purely by accident and I guess this is my intro...

Hey 2 All... I broke my neck 10 years ago in a bike accident on a gixxer 1100 (diesel spill) and my first bike when I returned to riding in ... December last year, was a Busa :thumbsup:

Anyway... I'm an engineer by trade and I'm constantly looking for ways to improve things... The first thing that struck me about the Busa was how poor the brakes were for what basically amounts to a rocket sled. (we'll get to that later)

We all know (I hope) that Brembo are undoubtedly one of the best brake manufacturers and in contrast, Tokico are one of the worst... I've just binned the 6 pot Tokico calipers off the busa and replaced them with a set of 4 pot (I've done the math, 4 pots are better) Brembo 4 pot calipers.

It's hard to draw a comparison between the two sets of calipers, this would be like trying to differentiate between good and evil, we all know what's right but try explaining it to someone in a few words... when they've never seen right!!!

What does differentiate me from some others, is that I speak my mind and simply because I own a hayabusa, doesn't mean I'll sing their praises when they shouldn't be sung.

We all know that the brakes on the busa are a sore subject, even Suzuki have admitted this by going back to 4 pot calipers (6 pots were for show, nothing else) but the question is, what are we going to do about it?!?!

Well Suzuki aren't going to recall the machines so that leaves us with a choice, either put up with a poor excuse for brakes or change them for something that works... I opted for the latter but some people may not be experiencing the same pitfalls that I experienced with the Tokico calipers.
I chose to remove the offending objects and replace them with world renowned Brembo calipers and my bike will now stand on its nose from upward of 200mph (on a private runway, stig :whistle: ) with one finger on the brakes.

This isn't a sales pitch, it's merely me expressing my views on std busa brakes and their replacements. The parts are available online to convert to 4 pot Brembo calipers and believe me, once you've taken the plunge, you'll never look back.

As Xthe-Stig already knows, I had adapter plates made from 7075 alloy. The ones you get online are made from 6061 (I think) which is about half the tensile strength (assuming it really is 6061 (it's from taiwan)) so if anyone is interested, a friend of mine is running off a few sets of these in the not too distant so let me know if you're interested... obviously, the more interest, the cheaper the price :thumbsup:

I'll be looking into the handling next :whistle:

Here are a couple of pictures ...

The finished product does look a bit dirty but I had greasy hands and it was late.

brembo2.jpg

brembo3.jpg

The brembo calipers come from a bike with 320mm disks (same as the busa) and fit the disks perfectly (unlike the radial yamaha ones :whistle:) :bigsmile:

Last edited:
I would recommend changing pads before you try anything else. I have a gen 1 and changed my pads to EBC HH pads and it made a hell of a difference!!!! The first few stops were scary, thats how hard they grip. My stock pads still had plenty of life but I heard these pads were the bomb. THEY ARE !!! I also did the R1 grip the same day. It felt like a whole different bike. :beerchug:

I would recommend changing pads before you try anything else. I have a gen 1 and changed my pads to EBC HH pads and it made a hell of a difference!!!! The first few stops were scary, thats how hard they grip. My stock pads still had plenty of life but I heard these pads were the bomb. THEY ARE !!! I also did the R1 grip the same day. It felt like a whole different bike. :beerchug:

+++1 I completely agree, I also found an eBay seller called "Sixity" that sells sintered pads for a LOT less than EBC. (Full set for the Busa is $45 + free shipping) I have had them on one of my bikes for a while now and I'd say that they are almost indistinguishable from the EBC HH. Just ordered a set for the Busa.

Back