Buell footpegs installed

drlucian

Registered
I installed the Buell footpegs on my '04 today. I used GM door bushings. The pegs and bushings had to be ground to fit the Busa. The Buell XB footpegs (part N00006.1AD) were $20 from Surdyke HD. The Motormite GM door bushings (part number 38375) were $4.00 for a pack of two. Four bushings are needed.

I have not yet changed the position of the shifter and rear brake lever. I took a twenty mile test ride after installing and there is a huge difference. The bike is actually comfortable now. It's much easier to put my feet up on the pegs. Bringing my feet down off the pegs at a stop is no problem.

The reach to the brake pedal is noticeably longer for my size 11's, but I don't use it much anyway. I can reach the shifter with no problem.

I have not unscrewed the curb feelers yet.

The left Buell footpeg makes pulling down the sidestand a little trickier. I had to feel for it carefully and look down to see that I was pushing down in the right place. Removing the curb feeler may help this.

<!--EDIT|drlucian
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096442472 -->

Buell_footpegs_and_bushings_2_small.JPG

There is an 18 ounce weight savings in using the new pegs.
Here a picture of the Buell peg on a scale (in ounces)

Buell_footpeg_on_scale_sm.JPG

I ordered my pegs just last week. Can't wait to try 'em out. BTW drlucian, you take great pics.
cool.gif

I bagged the idea of doing this when I heard you would scrape your foot more often. I already scrape my foot while doin twisties so this would not make it any better. That sucks though, being 6'5" I need the leg room.
wink.gif

Gixxer 1k pegs will go right on with bushing kit,no grinding needed.Gain aprox 1 1/2 inches and lose about a pound.spring returns work fine as well.TLR pegs will also work.

<!--EDIT|SHODA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096985369 -->

try protek footpegs--different colors--fits perfect and weighs just a couple ounces--installs in less than 5 minutes--

[/quote]Gixxer 1k pegs will go right on with bushing kit,no grinding needed.Gain aprox 1 1/2 inches and lose about a pound.spring returns work fine as well.TLR pegs will also work.
The springs work with Buell pegs too. The spring wraps around the pin that holds the peg in, it is re-used from stock peg. I'd be interested in trying the GSXR 1000 pegs, has anyone tried both?

<!--EDIT|drlucian
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098764573 -->

I should have my bike this time next month, just a question. Why did you have to take metal off the Buell peg? Thanx in advance.

I used a bench grinder. You do have to take quite a lot of metal off so be prepared to spend some time at the grinder. I think it took me an hour or so to get it to fit just right.

Back