Brakes.....

easportz

Registered
starting to get some heavy pulsing in the front brakes when applied. thinking that they are warped. 26k miles on the bike so figuring it may be time to spring for some rotors. anyone have any input? warped rotors... if so recommendations on new? (without breaking the bank)

eBay rotors for good ones and since you are on a budget! less than 200 bucks a set and work awesome! :thumbsup:

I'd vote warped too. Put the front end up in the air and rotor the tire. You should be able to distinctly hear the scrape as the warped part contacts the pads.

Lots of options depending on your budget. eBay used stock replacements are great option of you are on a budget. Then it gets up to Hong Kong rotors, than on up to the PFR Series, the EBC rounds or Contour rotors are good options too. Then on up the Galfer Wave rotor.

I'd vote warped too. Put the front end up in the air and rotor the tire. You should be able to distinctly hear the scrape as the warped part contacts the pads.

Lots of options depending on your budget. eBay used stock replacements are great option of you are on a budget. Then it gets up to Hong Kong rotors, than on up to the PFR Series, the EBC rounds or Contour rotors are good options too. Then on up the Galfer Wave rotor.

pashnit, are those PFR's any good tho? Was looking at them on your site... Cool look but do they work, do they last.... ? Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device

eBay rotors for good ones and since you are on a budget! less than 200 bucks a set and work awesome! :thumbsup:

Thanks Russell, btw you're right down the road. Would love to take a ride and pick your brain about mods sometime...
Posted via Mobile Device

My brakes are pulsating up front as well. I took my calipers and pads off yesterday and cleaned the caliper out. I pumped my brakes without the pads installed and noticed the pots do not come out evenly (one of them came out only after I blocked the other 5 pots from moving. I'm thinking it's time to disassemble the caliper, remove the pots and seals, and just clean the be-jeezus out of everything before I lay down cash for some rotors.

I don't have a mityvac or speed bleeders... so, what are my options? I'm thinking I'll just empty the lines into a bucket, clean the calipers, reassemble, then slowly pour new dot 4 brake fluid into the master cylinder whist pumping the brake lever. When no more brake fluid will go in, I'll have to put the master lid back on, pump the lever, hold it in, then release the valve on the caliper and close it before letting the lever back out... (and doing this a BUNCH of times).

Sorry about the Hijack... but I'd like some confirmation from 'yall whether my method of refilling my brake fluid is acceptable without speed bleeders or a mityvac.

Raleigh. Ride down to the beach some tho...
Posted via Mobile Device

Just let me know when you are around! :beerchug:

My brakes are pulsating up front as well. I took my calipers and pads off yesterday and cleaned the caliper out. I pumped my brakes without the pads installed and noticed the pots do not come out evenly (one of them came out only after I blocked the other 5 pots from moving. I'm thinking it's time to disassemble the caliper, remove the pots and seals, and just clean the be-jeezus out of everything before I lay down cash for some rotors.

I don't have a mityvac or speed bleeders... so, what are my options? I'm thinking I'll just empty the lines into a bucket, clean the calipers, reassemble, then slowly pour new dot 4 brake fluid into the master cylinder whist pumping the brake lever. When no more brake fluid will go in, I'll have to put the master lid back on, pump the lever, hold it in, then release the valve on the caliper and close it before letting the lever back out... (and doing this a BUNCH of times).

Sorry about the Hijack... but I'd like some confirmation from 'yall whether my method of refilling my brake fluid is acceptable without speed bleeders or a mityvac.

Yeah I need to dissassemble my calipers as well.... I think I will be waiting until winter to do that. Prices are cheaper and the bike wont be down because I wont be riding it as much.

Back