Brake pad install

hionbusa

Registered
Well , I took out my rear pads but I can't get the damn new ones in now.
No, I didnt press the brake lever . Looks like the piston is too close to the disc (my old pads were shot) . I can't slide the new pad in.
sad.gif

Any suggestions ?

You probably just need to pry the pistons back into the caliper. This should give you the room you need. A large flat screwdriver should do it. Just be careful not to gouge the piston edge.

<span style='color:red'>Warning:</span> Try to pry both pistons back at the same time...otherwise, the pressure from one side may push the opposite side piston completely out of the caliper. This would be a bad thing.

EDIT: You may have to remove the rear brake resevoir cap to make it easier. As you push the pistons back in, this will push the brake fluid back into the resevoir. Put some rags around it to minimize the mess.

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139714109 -->

to protect the piston...place the old pads back in and then use the screwdriver as mentioned.

hey any tips on those springs? i only took one side off right now.. just tyring to put it back on.. how?

thanks, got them in. Now , I have a problem with  
one of those retainer clips.
there is one for each side , then there is another one that I don't remember wher it goes .???

<!--EDIT|hionbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139720278 -->

I really thing there are only two. Two that have retaining pins that go thru the caliper into the pads, thru the opposite pad and then seat into the opposite side of the caliper.

Three?

Hmm, looking at my service manual,,,

Remove the clip
Remove the brake pads along with the shims by removing the brake pad mounting pins AND springs

That would be a count of three items if you were counting the clip and springs.

The manual isn't very clear cut.

heres one pic..

notice one spring still on.. i just need to put the other one on.. i will post a few more if you need um.. hionBusa

this is from the bottom.. looking up

<!--EDIT|kkattan
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139721208 -->

brakes1.JPG

Okay, I got it.

One spring per pad to retain its 'tightness' to the piston.

The clip goes thru the holes in the pins to retain the pin from traveling out of the the caliper.

Make sure that when placing the final retaining clip, or more appropriately, when placing the pins into the caliper that the holes are aimed downward and are ready and able to accept the final retining pin.

Hope that staightens it out for ya!
biggrin.gif

Without that OTHER retaining spring,,, you have nothing to keep that other pad snug to the piston

The clip goes thru the holes in the pins to retain the pin from traveling out of the the caliper.

Make sure that when placing the final retaining clip, or more appropriately, when placing the pins into the caliper that the holes are aimed downward and are ready and able to accept the final retining pin.
so the actually go into holes in the pins.. or just sit on top of them?

maybe this pic will help you out HionBUSA

its from underneath

<!--EDIT|kkattan
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139722007 -->

brake2.JPG

so the actually go into holes in the pins.. or just sit on top of them?
post-6-20701-brake_rear.jpg

Look at the leeetle tiny dots drawn on each pin in the picture.

The clip goes THROUGH the tiny holes in each pin to RETAIN them from coming out of the caliper.

If the pins are not retained from sliding out then ther would be nothing to hold the pads into place and you would not have any rear brake capacities at all.

I would hate to see that, although rear braking is a skilled process. Another topic totally.
smile.gif

Back