Brake fluid discolored

OB_00 so Blue

Registered
I've got 1,200 miles and the brake fluid in my clutch fluid reservoir is much darker than the fluid in my brake reservoir. Both lids say brake fluid only, so I assume that they should be the same color.
Also, in neutral should the clutch still feel slightly engaged?

I read somewhere DOT 4 fluid gets dark when it has water mixed in. In brakes, water in the fluid can boil and cause all kinds of havoc. I would drain and replace it. Don't get DOT 4 in your eyes or on paint. Very bad news.

You can change it, but it will darken again very soon. Not much fluid in the clutch, and it is worked quite a bit more than the front brake. Just change at the reccomended interval, and you'll be fine as long as it still has a good solid feel.

BTW, in my FJ1100 I run DOT 5. It doesn't eat paint. I do change it every year as it absorbes moisture much faster. I will probably stick with DOT 4 in the Suzuki.

Try changing your fluid to "Syntec" brake fluid.It has a dry boiling point (502) and is a dot3/4 compatible.You can get it at most big name auto stores.I have used it for over a year and my clutch/brake fluids are still clear.

Yep, I agree with gsx1300r guy----that is the fluid I have been using in both the 99 and 00 and in both---fluid is still clear.

I'll look into the Synthetic. The other problem I had with my DOT 5 is the slave cylinder had a LOT of rust in it last year. Took a rebuild kit and a lot of polishing to renew it. Does the Synthetic eat paint? Just curious.

I was of the impression nothing culd be done on the "discoloring" of the clutch fluid.

If the "syntec" works, that is great news.

My experience has been:

first discoloration by 3,000 miles ... changed, no noticieable difference;

second discoloration by 6,000 miles, same as above;

third discoloration at 10,300 miles, changed and shifting seemes smoother, easier... makes no sense ...

the syntec must be the answer!

My old 1988 Katana has the same problem!

go figure??

Back