Blue LED's

waldrop1994

Registered
Anyone using blue colored led's to accent? Is it illegal in your state? I'm from Alabama and only after I'd installed my blue led's did I think,"this may be illegal." So, I asked my cop cousin and he says you probably won't get a ticket for it, but it does give any officer probable cause to pull you over (unless you're parked with them on). Blues are basically for cops only. Anyone had a problem using blue led's?

Any colored lights beside amber and red are illegal in ms but if your not showing your ass they won't mess with you
Posted via Mobile Device

Any colored lights beside amber and red are illegal in ms but if your not showing your ass they won't mess with you
Posted via Mobile Device

here's mine...in canada no issues

my busa 29.jpg

P1010567.JPG

Blue and red lights are illegal technically in every state - although the wording of the laws may differ a bit. For example - here is the state statute for CO on the subject.

42-4-238. Blue and red lights - illegal use or possession. (1) A person shall not be in actual physical control of a vehicle, except an authorized emergency vehicle as defined in section 42-1-102 (6), that the person knows contains a lamp or device that is designed to display, or that is capable of displaying if affixed or attached to the vehicle, a red or blue light visible directly in front of the center of the vehicle.

(2) It shall be an affirmative defense that the defendant was:

(a) A peace officer as described in section 16-2.5-101, C.R.S.; or

(b) In actual physical control of a vehicle expressly authorized by a chief of police or sheriff to contain a lamp or device that is designed to display, or that is capable of displaying if affixed or attached to the vehicle, a red or blue light visible from directly in front of the center of the vehicle; or

(c) A member of a volunteer fire department or a volunteer ambulance service who possesses a permit from the fire chief of the fire department or chief executive officer of the ambulance service through which the volunteer serves to operate a vehicle pursuant to section 42-4-222 (1) (b); or

(d) A vendor who exhibits, sells, or offers for sale a lamp or device designed to display, or that is capable of displaying, if affixed or attached to the vehicle, a red or blue light.

(3) A violation of this section is a class 1 misdemeanor.

It does read - "a red or blue light visible directly in front of the center of the vehicle." - so technically it's only illegal if they can be seen from the front of the bike. However, cops will be pricks about them even if they can't and use them as a reason to pull you over.

I've never had a problem here in MD with mine but I did in Myrtle Beach this year. No problem though. I just turned them off until I got past the cop.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323624526.530656.jpg

heres mine in Philly PA. I have a 7 color changing hyper led halo kit and glow kit installed and ride around with it on all the time. Never had any problems but like someone said as long as you're not acting a fool you should be good and its a good way to be seen at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had them under my supra in high school and every time I had them on the cops would come by and talk to me. I was told that technically they are illegal but as long as I was parked i would not get a ticket. This is Arkansas.

Blue and Red .. the cops don't like you running them while driving/riding. Designated for police and fire. Any other color they don't mind just as long as the actual bulb is not visible to the eye. If you had red/blue lights on while parked its ok.

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead with the blue ones and will post pics soon, no probs with the pigs yet. We'll see... Nice bikes to you that posted too!

If they find it distracting, they can pull you over. I would wire it to a switch just in case.

Back